Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

Old Jul 7th 2011, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

dnolan1337 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

Thats the thing though, when I asked, before I sat, if it was real fish and chips, like in England, the waitress had a big grin and assured me it was (and then begged to know where I was from).

I sat down, all excited, had the scotch egg as a starter, it was close, but the breakfast sausage coating was just not right. Then she brang out my "fish and chips", I took a bite of each, paid my bill, and went sat at the bar for 3 hrs to enjoy their beer selection.

I will eat there again in future, but not for English food, more for the beer.

As for Cajun cooking, I regularly eat gumbo, crawfish etouffe (sp. way off), fried shrimp, catfish, etc. I enjoy them all, but man, sometimes I just want something homely and good, like pie and mash with chilli vinegar.

Once a month or so, I spend about $200 online at britishdelights.com, but I made the mistake of sharing my first batch of chocolate with the in-laws and kids, and now they kinda steal most of my monthly stash. Im looking for something more local so I do not have to pay the $50 in shipping on my sausage and meat.

I also miss minted lamb chops.

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress
At least they're trying! If you are able, maybe you could show them how to improve the quality of their efforts. LA is known more for Cajun & French foods - I feel certain a Londoner is out of their field of experience, in many ways.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 6:31 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

We just found Weetabix in the Bi-Lo on Hilton Head Island, SC. My wife is in heaven!
Old Jul 7th 2011, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

take a picture of the actual cereal, I have been trying to explain what it is to my in-laws for 4 years without luck.

Originally Posted by Sheepdip
We just found Weetabix in the Bi-Lo on Hilton Head Island, SC. My wife is in heaven!
Old Jul 7th 2011, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dnolan1337
Thats the thing though, when I asked, before I sat, if it was real fish and chips, like in England, the waitress had a big grin and assured me it was (and then begged to know where I was from).

I sat down, all excited, had the scotch egg as a starter, it was close, but the breakfast sausage coating was just not right. Then she brang out my "fish and chips", I took a bite of each, paid my bill, and went sat at the bar for 3 hrs to enjoy their beer selection.

I will eat there again in future, but not for English food, more for the beer.

As for Cajun cooking, I regularly eat gumbo, crawfish etouffe (sp. way off), fried shrimp, catfish, etc. I enjoy them all, but man, sometimes I just want something homely and good, like pie and mash with chilli vinegar.

Once a month or so, I spend about $200 online at britishdelights.com, but I made the mistake of sharing my first batch of chocolate with the in-laws and kids, and now they kinda steal most of my monthly stash. Im looking for something more local so I do not have to pay the $50 in shipping on my sausage and meat.

I also miss minted lamb chops.
I can see where you're coming from. My OH suffers much the same thing about once a month - dying for something really "tasty". In Memphis, there are next to no "pubs" with pub grub - there is one that tries, but even I know the Scotch egg my granddaughter was having wasn't the real thing. Believe it or not, I miss a lot of the British foods and I wasn't raised on it. Like you said, it's all what you grew up with. So sorry you can't find a solution for your food cravings......I keep hoping another Brit will open up an import shop like the one that was here for a while. Unfortunately, between that Londoner's abrasive "arseholeness" offending the "suthrun" folk, and their not being able to keep a steady supply of the bacon and bangers, they folded, much to our regret.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 6:57 pm
fsm
So I am where?

fsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Sheepdip
I was in trader Joes yesterday and picked up two boxes, cashier turns round before I say a word and says you not from round here are you.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 6:58 pm
fsm
So I am where?

fsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of light

take a picture of the actual cereal, I have been trying to explain what it is to my in-laws for 4 years without luck.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

Its part of what makes us British, along with Sarcasm, crude humor, social drinking, and being able to get straight to the point.

People here are too polite. My sister in law had a drug issue and every one pussy footed around it for years. I arrived, called her on it, told her to sort her life out, threatened to call social services on her, and 2 years later shes clean and taking care of her kids.

It took my in laws a while to get used to it, but they value my opinion and straight talk a whole lot more than the usual brown nosing they were raised on.

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress
Londoner's abrasive "arseholeness"
FSM, I love you long time.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 7:14 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Its part of what makes us British, along with Sarcasm, crude humor, social drinking, and being able to get straight to the point.

People here are too polite. My sister in law had a drug issue and every one pussy footed around it for years. I arrived, called her on it, told her to sort her life out, threatened to call social services on her, and 2 years later shes clean and taking care of her kids.

It took my in laws a while to get used to it, but they value my opinion and straight talk a whole lot more than the usual brown nosing they were raised on.

FSM, I love you long time.
Calling people 'Morons' in your first post, when you were the one expecting Scottish food in Louisiana must be the height of great British irony.

But good luck to you.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

Expecting English fish and chips, from an establishment that lists itself as a celtic pub and promotes itself as a UK inspired eating location is not moronic. But again, it is moronic to advertise yourself as a traditional English pub, when you, as the owner, has never been there.

Now, if it was a standard restaurant, that listed "traditional fish and chips" on the menu, and I expected it to be a close match, that's moronic. But, expecting them to live up to their hype and advertisements? Nope.

Originally Posted by meauxna
Calling people 'Morons' in your first post, when you were the one expecting Scottish food in Louisiana must be the height of great British irony.

But good luck to you.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 7:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna

But good luck to you.
Well if a pub is billed as Irish/English and selling food as, then yes, I guess you could expect the food...especially the staples such as fish and chips with actual chips...when most won't even bother with scotch egg or anything off the obvious.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

+1 to you good sir.

Originally Posted by Bob
Well if a pub is billed as Irish/English and selling food as, then yes, I guess you could expect the food...especially the staples such as fish and chips with actual chips...when most won't even bother with scotch egg or anything off the obvious.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

The only Weetabix I find costs $9 a box, and it's tiny. I'll stick to my huge $2 generic bran flakes.

Everyone always asks me what I think of a local "british" restaurant. Despite the owners being British, what they serve is not a great example of British cuisine - even basic stuff like ploughman's lunch is done poorly.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

Krogers.

$2.99 a box. I am one happy SOB this morning. I got my fiber. Did you?

EDIT:

Also found sweet piccalilli there, its in the pickles section, and is called "Chow Chow Piccalilli". Found Mint Sauce too... oh and colmans mustard.

Originally Posted by Anian
The only Weetabix I find costs $9 a box, and it's tiny. I'll stick to my huge $2 generic bran flakes.

Everyone always asks me what I think of a local "british" restaurant. Despite the owners being British, what they serve is not a great example of British cuisine - even basic stuff like ploughman's lunch is done poorly.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 8:04 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian

What no Trader Joes near you!!
Old Jul 8th 2011, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Krogers.

$2.99 a box. I am one happy SOB this morning. I got my fiber. Did you?

EDIT:

Also found sweet piccalilli there, its in the pickles section, and is called "Chow Chow Piccalilli". Found Mint Sauce too... oh and colmans mustard.
Once Kroger realized the Weetabix is the Brit version of our Shredded Wheat, they decided if they were going to sell it, it had better be at a decent price. Just wish they didn't add so much profit on their other imported wares - even I know it doesn't cost them anywhere near as much to import the digestible biscuits that they're selling for $4.97 would seem to indicate! Heinz Beans - $2.97 a can! Outrageous! OH makes do with Bush's Vegetarian Beans - poor substitute, but........ Found Kerry Gold butter at Costco, his super-extra sharp hurts-your-jaws-at-first-bite cheddar from Sam's Club. (Have to drive all the way to Cincinnati, OH for Trader Joe's.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.