Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

Old Feb 20th 2014, 11:19 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

Birds custard was mentioned, and I have some, but no Swiss roll to go with it. Its my comfort food ever since it was my poor mans desert as a student. Any Swiss roll sightings?
Old Feb 20th 2014, 11:28 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

A sales rep from the Highland Springs consortium e-mailed me, in answer to my inquiry about availability, that they were in the process of bringing their waters to the US, and specifically in Texas we were looking at about three months out. So all you Scotch drinkers, you'll now have something to go with your lovely Speyside whiskies.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 11:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Who dilutes the hard stuff though? That's a waste of decent booze.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 12:43 am
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Who dilutes the hard stuff though? That's a waste of decent booze.
Dilute? Perish the thought. Just a drop, just to open up the water-soluble flavoring elements. And a do mean a drop.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

glemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kuyuke
I was thrilled to pieces when they brought Trader Joe's to the East cost! I lived in California for a few years and wondered if they would ever branch to the Sunshine state. Their orange chicken in the frozen section is one of my favorite dinner foods! And you have not lived until you've tried their maple leaf cookies. Pay no attention to the caloric intake, mind you!

St. Pete is not that far..you could make a day trip of it. Plenty to do in eclectic Sarasota! =)
Just in TJ's the other day, happy to see that they have expanded their curry and associates (samosa's etc) product line, also the ginger chewy candies are great.
Interesting to see that product lines they share with Aldi are about the same price (my experience).
Old Feb 22nd 2014, 4:07 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

Originally Posted by glemo
Interesting to see that product lines they share with Aldi are about the same price (my experience).

Trader Joe's is German owned......an offshoot of Aldi!
Old Feb 22nd 2014, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

glemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Trader Joe's is German owned......an offshoot of Aldi!
Yes I know.
Old Feb 22nd 2014, 4:16 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

I received an e-mail from Big Apple Brits about a meat pie and sausage company operated by some British expats in Buffalo, NY.

If you're craving a pork pie, various kinds of British sausages and meat pies etc. then this might be of interest (no idea what their products are actually like though):

http://www.englishporkpiecompany.com/

http://www.englishporkpiecompany.com/pages/about

The e-mail stated that you can get 10% off your entire order if you enter 'BIGAPPLEBRITS' in the promo code.
Old Feb 22nd 2014, 8:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I received an e-mail from Big Apple Brits about a meat pie and sausage company operated by some British expats in Buffalo, NY.

If you're craving a pork pie, various kinds of British sausages and meat pies etc. then this might be of interest (no idea what their products are actually like though):

The e-mail stated that you can get 10% off your entire order if you enter 'BIGAPPLEBRITS' in the promo code.
I haven't used them either, but I've seen them recommended a couple times on the Boston Brits group along with Twaites - http://www.thwaitesmarket.com/index.php Which for the Boston lot is closer as they're in Methuen, couple mins off the I-93 Loop Connector around I-495.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 1:15 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Birds custard was mentioned, and I have some, but no Swiss roll to go with it. Its my comfort food ever since it was my poor mans desert as a student. Any Swiss roll sightings?
That's something I haven't been able to find. Closest I have got is either Stop and Shop own-brand or Little Debbie, but both are kinda sweet.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nutek
That's something I haven't been able to find. Closest I have got is either Stop and Shop own-brand or Little Debbie, but both are kinda sweet.
You could always make your own, I've made meat pies recently, but haven't made pork pies for several years. It's doable, there are many recipes on line. We were at an Xmas, where some xpats had made a tray of pork pies from an online recipe, and they were really good, plus they made a day of it and had a good time making them, consuming numerous sherbets.
Bottom line , the pig pies were really good with lashings of hp sauce.....
Old Feb 24th 2014, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

Markoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bob
I haven't used them either, but I've seen them recommended a couple times on the Boston Brits group along with Twaites - http://www.thwaitesmarket.com/index.php Which for the Boston lot is closer as they're in Methuen, couple mins off the I-93 Loop Connector around I-495.
I am all over that. Sat nav programmed! (or GPS programmed for those US natives reading this )
Old Feb 24th 2014, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

Jerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Buffalo and love this place. Cannot beat being able to get a good pie locally. Their bacon and sausages are awesome too.
Old Feb 25th 2014, 1:24 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Markoncarp
I am all over that. Sat nav programmed! (or GPS programmed for those US natives reading this )
They're the place to hit during a holiday weekend as they do seem to have a lot more going on.

I've been told their pies and sausages are the best around
Old Feb 25th 2014, 4:38 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I like how this thread keeps going around in circles.

I think I mentioned it further back, I bought some pork pies from them, they were far from crap but they didn't have enough gelatin in them, I think so they could be shipped long distance. Possibly the ones they sell in-store aren't like that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.