Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

Old Mar 31st 2012, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

toopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

oooo, Cost Plus has Easter chocs in - Cadbury's Caramel Bunnies AND wee caramel mini eggs.

And I know this isn't British but I got these Milka Lil Scoops (milk choc eggs filled with white mousse). Beautiful! They come 4 to a pack in a wee egg carton.
Old Apr 1st 2012, 8:15 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Wegmans had Heinz beans on sale at $2 a can again, but also their own brand veg beans on sale for $1 a can and they are awesome Heinz knock offs.

They also had Jammy Dodgers for $2.

And those in Framingham, MA...dodgy Brazilian grocery store near the town centre had Kinder Surprise, with the toys...don't know how, but they had them
Old Apr 5th 2012, 10:19 am
There's always One.

component is just really nicecomponent is just really nicecomponent is just really nicecomponent is just really nicecomponent is just really nicecomponent is just really nicecomponent is just really nicecomponent is just really nice

"Middle-aged women -- mostly U.K. expatriates -- have been known to scamper down aisles like little girls when they spot British Cadburys..."

from article about diff between UK and US chocolate: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125288517883707275.html

The price of visiting me from the UK is usually some Twiglets, Worcester Sauce Nik Naks (yes I know I shouldn't be eating these, but I rarely get to anyway) and the almost legendarily hard to find, even in the UK, lemon Lucozade. Oh, and salt 'n' vinegar Hula Hoops and plain chocolate Hobnobs for the Mrs.

We just moved from Los Angeles to Boulder, CO, leaving behind Ranch 99, Fresh & Easy, Trader Joe's and all the Brit pubs which have stores attached selling UK fare. Anyone got any tips for the Boulder / Denver area? I found this Scottish website that has a bunch of stores listed: http://www.coloradoscots.com/directory/directory.html but I haven't visited any of them yet. And apparently they're building a Trader Joe's in Boulder next year, due at least in part to a Facebook petition!

The thing I am really looking for though, since I stockpiled a load of Coleman's mustard, Sarson's vinegar and HP sauce before I left CA for CO a month ago, is regular British bacon - not the skinny strips of fat you get here. Do I have to commission it from a real butcher somewhere? I know Whole Paycheck does a great line in bangers, but no hint of good bacon there so far.

I asked in Cost Plus here for Weetabix and the woman there told me that the chain recently stopped carrying it across the board. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Also, I love how people in America assume the British national dish is fish and chips, when everyone knows it is really curry

As sort of a side note, someone earlier in the thread was bemoaning all the sugar American companies add to food - if you are worried about this, check out an Android app I just found called Fooducate - you can scan the barcode of products in the supermarket and it tells you how good/bad they are. I, at least, find this quite addictive.

I realized that not only does the Hershey version of Cadbury's chocolate taste awful, but I am pretty sure the Worcester sauce they have here is different too - for one thing it has high fructose corn syrup as one of the ingredients in the American version. And doesn't the Brit one have an orange label, not a creme colored one?
Old Apr 6th 2012, 4:59 am
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by component
"Middle-aged women -- mostly U.K. expatriates -- have been known to scamper down aisles like little girls when they spot British Cadburys..."

from article about diff between UK and US chocolate: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125288517883707275.html

The price of visiting me from the UK is usually some Twiglets, Worcester Sauce Nik Naks (yes I know I shouldn't be eating these, but I rarely get to anyway) and the almost legendarily hard to find, even in the UK, lemon Lucozade. Oh, and salt 'n' vinegar Hula Hoops and plain chocolate Hobnobs for the Mrs.

We just moved from Los Angeles to Boulder, CO, leaving behind Ranch 99, Fresh & Easy, Trader Joe's and all the Brit pubs which have stores attached selling UK fare. Anyone got any tips for the Boulder / Denver area? I found this Scottish website that has a bunch of stores listed: http://www.coloradoscots.com/directory/directory.html but I haven't visited any of them yet. And apparently they're building a Trader Joe's in Boulder next year, due at least in part to a Facebook petition!

The thing I am really looking for though, since I stockpiled a load of Coleman's mustard, Sarson's vinegar and HP sauce before I left CA for CO a month ago, is regular British bacon - not the skinny strips of fat you get here. Do I have to commission it from a real butcher somewhere? I know Whole Paycheck does a great line in bangers, but no hint of good bacon there so far.

I asked in Cost Plus here for Weetabix and the woman there told me that the chain recently stopped carrying it across the board. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Also, I love how people in America assume the British national dish is fish and chips, when everyone knows it is really curry

As sort of a side note, someone earlier in the thread was bemoaning all the sugar American companies add to food - if you are worried about this, check out an Android app I just found called Fooducate - you can scan the barcode of products in the supermarket and it tells you how good/bad they are. I, at least, find this quite addictive.

I realized that not only does the Hershey version of Cadbury's chocolate taste awful, but I am pretty sure the Worcester sauce they have here is different too - for one thing it has high fructose corn syrup as one of the ingredients. in the American version. And doesn't the Brit one have an orange label, not a creme colored one?
That's actually one of the main ingredients in a high percentage of the processed sauces and foods here. It's something that many people don't seem to consider.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 9:07 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

For those in Maine. Reny's, they had loads of various different English Cadbury's Fingers, the posh dark choc ones especially.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

winchester is an unknown quantity at this point

Was pleasantly surprised to find mcvities digestives (plain and chocolate) in a walmart in rochester mn.

Absolutely blown away to find them in my local walmart in wisconsin a few weeks later. Civilisation has reached the midwest at last

Presumably if they have them here they must have them at all/most locations nationwide?
Old Apr 6th 2012, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

janicedean164 will become famous soon enoughjanicedean164 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by winchester
Was pleasantly surprised to find mcvities digestives (plain and chocolate) in a walmart in rochester mn.

Absolutely blown away to find them in my local walmart in wisconsin a few weeks later. Civilisation has reached the midwest at last

Presumably if they have them here they must have them at all/most locations nationwide?

Not here in Clayton NC yet but I have also being keeping a watchful eye for Jaffa Cakes & Richtea Biscuits!
Old Apr 7th 2012, 2:51 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

1 day sale today only, Saturday 7th April 50% off all Easter Goodies at World Markets nationally.
Attached Thumbnails UK Foods in the US Share your finds!-world-market.jpg  

Last edited by Poppy girl; Apr 7th 2012 at 2:54 am.
Old Apr 7th 2012, 3:22 am
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Just found actual crumpets for about $1.90 in the freezer in Specs in Katy on S. Mason.
Old Apr 7th 2012, 6:57 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by winchester

At our WalMart here in CT, I can find only the McVities plain digestives, not the chocolate. Nice to find the plain ones at a reasonable price, so that's OK . . . but I whenever I look, never any sign of chocolates.

Either they're not getting the choccie ones at all or else someone's buying them up before I get there . . . .
Old Apr 8th 2012, 3:16 am
BE Enthusiast

denzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nice

Originally Posted by component

I realized that not only does the Hershey version of Cadbury's chocolate taste awful, but I am pretty sure the Worcester sauce they have here is different too - for one thing it has high fructose corn syrup as one of the ingredients in the American version. And doesn't the Brit one have an orange label, not a creme colored one?
The Lea and Perrins Worcester sauce I have in my cupboard is all natural - low sodium, no high fructose corn syrup, maybe stores own label have it in. I can't remember the colour of the label back home but know (having lived in Sheffield for many years) that Henderson's Relish has an orange label, now if only I could find that out here .......
Old Apr 8th 2012, 11:54 am
Just Joined

winchester is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by janicedean164
Not here in Clayton NC yet but I have also being keeping a watchful eye for Jaffa Cakes & Richtea Biscuits!
Jaffa cakes would be nice, but in the meantime LU Pim's orange biscuits are good enough for me.

But there aint nothing out there quite like mcvitie's digestive biscuits. I'm having mine with greek yogurt and fruit right now
Old Apr 8th 2012, 2:01 pm
Just Joined

debsy66 is an unknown quantity at this point

sausage rolls, pork pie, scotch eggs, PROPER british bacon, bottle of Taboo yum yum miss em much, god what i wouldnt give to be able to walk in a store and grab these off the shelf

anyone know of anywhere san francisco area to get british foods from???
Old Apr 8th 2012, 2:06 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debsy66
sausage rolls, pork pie, scotch eggs, PROPER british bacon, bottle of Taboo yum yum miss em much, god what i wouldnt give to be able to walk in a store and grab these off the shelf

anyone know of anywhere san francisco area to get british foods from???
Mollie Stones
Old Apr 8th 2012, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

rhenden is just really nicerhenden is just really nicerhenden is just really nicerhenden is just really nicerhenden is just really nicerhenden is just really nicerhenden is just really nicerhenden is just really nice

Here in Austin, TX, there are few places which sell some British goods at even semi-reasonable prices. Stuff like Cadbury's can be bought anywhere but is an ersatz version made by Hersheys.

Fiesta market and places like Central Market and World Market sell some British foods, but at a huge markup. A bottle of Lucozade will set you back around $15 (compared to the original price of around 2 quid), a pack of McVities here runs around $8 to $10 a pack. An unpurchasably huge price since I've found the average wage even for skilled labor in Austin is about $7.50 to $8 an hour.

Heinz beans, despite being an American company, seem to be unheard of around here, especially Heinz beans and sausages, and most people in the stores in Austin seem dumbfounded when asked about things simnel cakes or hot-cross buns.

I found it is much easier to make my own British food: a decent yorkshire pudding takes 20 minutes from scratch although I haven't found any British sausages to make a proper Toad-In-The-Hole yet, and I found can make decent mince-pies all year round from readily available ingredients pretty easily, including making the pastry and the mincemeat itself. I keep thinking I should've stolen my Mum's old recipe books before I emigrated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.