Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

Old Feb 25th 2014, 4:48 am
  #1636  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: California
Posts: 353
LeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

I am desperate for Granola with fat free plain yogurt for breakfast. Now I've found the granola but can not for the life of me find the yogurt (am looking for a normal runny consistency). Whole Foods have been kind enough to give me 4 different yogurts to try at home for free but they were all thick (like jelly or Greek yogurt) and Safeway have opened about 3 different yogurts in store for me but they too were the wrong consistency. Can anybody help!!?? (Love how accommodating they are in stores here! Big points for customer service)

My parents have just come over from the UK and have brought with them boxes of Kelloggs Crunchie Nut Clusters which my kids love but can't find here and loads of biscuits so i'm now going to put back all the weight that i've lost over the last 7 months since moving here! Aah!
LeavingLondon is offline  
Old Feb 25th 2014, 4:58 am
  #1637  
Bob
BE Site Lead
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 92,175
Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

Crunchie Nut, they started selling that in some stores last summer.

Yoghurt, I go with the own brand Wegmans which is nice and also Trader Joes own brand.

Could always make your own, it's not that hard if you've a warm kitchen.

Fage is a good brand, but a little thick.
Chobani, the same.
Wallaby, but I've not tried the plain one.

There's also the expensive one that comes in the glass jars, can't remember the name but it's lovely....just a bit to expensive.
Bob is offline  
Old Feb 25th 2014, 5:01 am
  #1638  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: California
Posts: 353
LeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

Originally Posted by Bob
Crunchie Nut, they started selling that in some stores last summer.

Yoghurt, I go with the own brand Wegmans which is nice and also Trader Joes own brand.

Could always make your own, it's not that hard if you've a warm kitchen.

Fage is a good brand, but a little thick.
Chobani, the same.
Wallaby, but I've not tried the plain one.

There's also the expensive one that comes in the glass jars, can't remember the name but it's lovely....just a bit to expensive.
Thanks Bob. I'll look at those brands and see if i've tried them already.

Yes have seen Crunchie Nut Cornflakes but not Crunchie Nut Clusters! And one of my boys will only eat the latter!!
LeavingLondon is offline  
Old Feb 25th 2014, 5:03 am
  #1639  
BE Forum Addict
 
Guindalf's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,903
Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

Originally Posted by LeavingLondon
Thanks Bob. I'll look at those brands and see if i've tried them already.

Yes have seen Crunchie Nut Cornflakes but not Crunchie Nut Clusters! And one of my boys will only eat the latter!!
I'm pretty sure there's a Post product that's Honey Nut Clusters. Not certain though. Look in the regular cereal aisle.
Guindalf is offline  
Old Feb 25th 2014, 7:38 am
  #1640  
Under blue skies
 
WEBlue's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: East Anglia->New England
Posts: 3,624
WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

Originally Posted by LeavingLondon
I am desperate for Granola with fat free plain yogurt for breakfast. Now I've found the granola but can not for the life of me find the yogurt (am looking for a normal runny consistency). Whole Foods have been kind enough to give me 4 different yogurts to try at home for free but they were all thick (like jelly or Greek yogurt) and Safeway have opened about 3 different yogurts in store for me but they too were the wrong consistency. Can anybody help!!?? (Love how accommodating they are in stores here! Big points for customer service)
Yes suddenly the very-thick "Greek" style yogurt is everywhere, replacing the old generic low-fat runny yogurt, which has fallen out of popularity.

As Bob suggests, try making your own--whenever I make a batch of yogurt, it's always very thin & runny....
WEBlue is offline  
Old Feb 25th 2014, 7:58 am
  #1641  
Bob
BE Site Lead
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 92,175
Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

Originally Posted by WEBlue
As Bob suggests, try making your own--whenever I make a batch of yogurt, it's always very thin & runny....
I used a small tub of the organic own brand Wegmans as the starter and given a bit of time it does thicken up nicely, but not as much as the Greek style.

Normally mix it with maple/golden syrup or honey for a sweetener and vanilla but not making so much as fresh berries are a bit pricey at the mo.
Bob is offline  
Old Feb 25th 2014, 11:06 am
  #1642  
Under blue skies
 
WEBlue's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: East Anglia->New England
Posts: 3,624
WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

Originally Posted by Bob
I used a small tub of the organic own brand Wegmans as the starter and given a bit of time it does thicken up nicely, but not as much as the Greek style.

Normally mix it with maple/golden syrup or honey for a sweetener and vanilla but not making so much as fresh berries are a bit pricey at the mo.
Mine always comes out thinnish--or maybe a better word is 'soft'--but I think that's because I usually make it with non-fat milk. IMO home-made yogurt comes out a bit thicker when you make it with whole milk or even 2% milk. Some methods advocate adding some non-fat powdered milk to give your yogurt a bit more body.

For LeavingLondon, here's more-or-less my method (--though NOT adding in the 'Greek' step where you strain the yogurt). Very simple. All you really need is a dependable thermometer (for cooking liquids), no other special items.
http://www.npr.org/2013/11/06/243014...our-own-yogurt
WEBlue is offline  
Old Feb 25th 2014, 11:34 am
  #1643  
Bob
BE Site Lead
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 92,175
Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

Aye, that's the one I use too.
Bob is offline  
Old Feb 25th 2014, 1:59 pm
  #1644  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: California
Posts: 353
LeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Mine always comes out thinnish--or maybe a better word is 'soft'--but I think that's because I usually make it with non-fat milk. IMO home-made yogurt comes out a bit thicker when you make it with whole milk or even 2% milk. Some methods advocate adding some non-fat powdered milk to give your yogurt a bit more body.

For LeavingLondon, here's more-or-less my method (--though NOT adding in the 'Greek' step where you strain the yogurt). Very simple. All you really need is a dependable thermometer (for cooking liquids), no other special items.
http://www.npr.org/2013/11/06/243014...our-own-yogurt
Thank you. I'll try that tomorrow! Never made yogurt before!
LeavingLondon is offline  
Old Mar 8th 2014, 2:16 pm
  #1645  
Bob
BE Site Lead
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 92,175
Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

Hidden Valley Breakfast Biscuits, they're just like Hobnobs but much cheaper, a couple bucks at the mo with the coupons in Walmart.
Bob is offline  
Old Mar 8th 2014, 2:46 pm
  #1646  
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 52,586
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

Originally Posted by Bob
Hidden Valley Breakfast Biscuits, they're just like Hobnobs but much cheaper, ......
Or if you don't like garlic flavoured oat biscuits, try Nature Valley Breakfast Biscuits.
Pulaski is online now  
Old Mar 8th 2014, 3:07 pm
  #1647  
 
N1cky's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Google Town
Posts: 7,532
N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

Finally caved last week and placed an order at the English Pork Pie place, so far we've eaten the Melton Mowbry pork pie, which was delicious, unfortunately they only sent a 6oz instead of the 1lb I ordered. Also had some Cumberland sausages, which we devoured with mash and onion gravy. They were lovely, great flavor and the skin was very thin like what we get in England.

We've got some plain chipolatas to eat for breakfast tomorrow. Also ordered some Lincolnshire and Pork and Leek varieties, hope they are as good as the first lot.

I'd definitely order from them again. I bought $75 of products and got shipping for $25, all but one pack of sausages were still frozen when they arrived.
N1cky is offline  
Old Mar 10th 2014, 4:57 am
  #1648  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 5
claire1107 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

Has anyone ever found any crumpets or pikelets.. we really miss these..
claire1107 is offline  
Old Mar 10th 2014, 4:59 am
  #1649  
 
Nutek's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: CT
Posts: 33,654
Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

Originally Posted by claire1107
Has anyone ever found any crumpets or pikelets.. we really miss these..
Stop and Shop sell Crumpets around here.
Nutek is online now  
Old Mar 10th 2014, 5:02 am
  #1650  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 5
claire1107 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

aww just checked website we don't have one in the state of Florida
claire1107 is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.