Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

U.S Customs allowance limit for UK Citizen?

U.S Customs allowance limit for UK Citizen?

Old May 22nd 2010, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: U.S Customs allowance limit for UK Citizen?

Originally Posted by bowenaj37
So what will happen when I walk up with my duty free bag and hand the white form over to the fella at the Customs Desk. That happens at the other side in Chicago I believe not at Dublin. Will I be in for all sorts of questions will my bags then get searched?
Once I'd reached Philadelphia I transferred onto an internal flight. I had to put my lovely bottle of gin into my suitcase for the internal flight. There were no questions and/or bag-searching. That doesn't meant that you won't get searched but unless you're transporting illegal substances or prohibited items I wouldn't worry.
Old May 22nd 2010, 1:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bowenaj37
So what will happen when I walk up with my duty free bag and hand the white form over to the fella at the Customs Desk. That happens at the other side in Chicago I believe not at Dublin. Will I be in for all sorts of questions will my bags then get searched?
This is what always happens to me when I arrive at Newark Airport. The Immigration Officer stamps the form...he may ask you questions about what you're bringing into the country. If he ticks the form you're OK...then you hand it to the officer as you walk through customs. If he writes on it then all your luggage goes through secondary screening. If you're within the limits you're OK.

I don't bother buying anything duty free when I leave the US or the UK...because I can probably buy it cheaper locally.
Old May 22nd 2010, 2:20 pm
Banned

bowenaj37 is an unknown quantity at this point

That doesn't sound too bad. Thanks for the help