British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   U.S Customs allowance limit for UK Citizen? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/u-s-customs-allowance-limit-uk-citizen-669238/)

bowenaj37 May 21st 2010 7:55 pm

U.S Customs allowance limit for UK Citizen?

So what can I take into the United States?. Is there a limit on what I can take like alcohol, cigarettes. I know about the 10k reporting limits I haven't got 10k cash anyway :( and the requirements for declaration of fruits and veg. I won't be taking any fruits and veg. I might want to take some cans of English beer a maybe a bottle of baileys for my girl. I know I can't purchase duty free at the airport as EU citizen on an outward bound flight.

srefre May 21st 2010 8:09 pm

Re: U.S Customs allowance limit for UK Citizen?

Originally Posted by bowenaj37 (Post 8581613)
So what can I take into the United States?. Is there a limit on what I can take like alcohol, cigarettes. I know about the 10k reporting limits I haven't got 10k cash anyway :( and the requirements for declaration of fruits and veg. I won't be taking any fruits and veg. I might want to take some cans of English beer a maybe a bottle of baileys for my girl. I know I can't purchase duty free at the airport as EU citizen on an outward bound flight.

I'm confused. Surely you can purchase duty free at the airport, unless the USA has joined the EU without me noticing?!

Not sure what the limit is for alcohol or tobacco, but the limit for goods that will be staying in the country for non US residents is $100.

srefre May 21st 2010 8:12 pm

P.S. Always good to check here!

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/ukcust1.html#alcohol

bowenaj37 May 21st 2010 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by srefre (Post 8581639)
I'm confused. Surely you can purchase duty free at the airport, unless the USA has joined the EU without me noticing?!

Not sure what the limit is for alcohol or tobacco, but the limit for goods that will be staying in the country for non US residents is $100.

I am travelling to the U.S from an EU country and I am a citizen of an EU country the UK. I was under the impression you cant purchase duty free if you are travelling to the U.S from an EU country if you are an EU citizen.

I saw the 100 bucks limit and you declare it on the reverse side of the form. Would I be required to show a receipt for the goods to confirm their value?

srefre May 21st 2010 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by bowenaj37 (Post 8581690)
I am travelling to the U.S from an EU country and I am a citizen of an EU country the UK. I was under the impression you cant purchase duty free if you are travelling to the U.S from an EU country if you are an EU citizen.

I saw the 100 bucks limit and you declare it on the reverse side of the form. Would I be required to show a receipt for the goods to confirm their value?

You only have a problem going from an EU country to another EU country. As long as you are not ending up in an EU country when travelling from an EU country you won't pay duty.

You should be prepared to show a receipt. I have never been asked for one, but that's not to say they cannot do it.
I would guess if you had cases full of stuff and claimed it was $99 they might be suspicious and ask questions. For just a couple of beers or a bottle of Baileys, I doubt they'd worry.

Sally Redux May 21st 2010 9:04 pm

Stand by for the remake of M. Hulot's Holiday.

bowenaj37 May 21st 2010 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by srefre (Post 8581713)
You only have a problem going from an EU country to another EU country. As long as you are not ending up in an EU country when travelling from an EU country you won't pay duty.

You should be prepared to show a receipt. I have never been asked for one, but that's not to say they cannot do it.
I would guess if you had cases full of stuff and claimed it was $99 they might be suspicious and ask questions. For just a couple of beers or a bottle of Baileys, I doubt they'd worry.

Thanks

SagenOnion May 22nd 2010 12:07 am

Originally Posted by bowenaj37 (Post 8581613)

I never bothered with booze or cigs duty free....much cheaper here.

MsElui May 22nd 2010 12:14 am

yep - baileys is easily found in my local supermarket.

chartreuse May 22nd 2010 3:58 am

I was under the impression you cant purchase duty free if you are travelling to the U.S from an EU country if you are an EU citizen.

Reread what you wrote there, then go look at folks' opinions of the impressions you're labouring under re. illegal immigration...

bowenaj37 May 22nd 2010 11:00 am

Originally Posted by chartreuse (Post 8582161)
Reread what you wrote there, then go look at folks' opinions of the impressions you're labouring under re. illegal immigration...

I guess I am wrong about that then. I have always only bought the duty free on the return journey and walked through the nothing to declare isle at the UK customs point. Buying what I need on this side is simply one less thing to do when I get there. That's my thinking. It is something to think about.

Thanks for the help folks

Manc May 22nd 2010 12:14 pm

have you actually ever been abroad before?

jeepgirluk May 22nd 2010 1:02 pm

I've bought gin and taken it with me on a flight from Heathrow to the US. It was on special offer otherwise I wouldn't have bothered.

bowenaj37 May 22nd 2010 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Manc (Post 8582586)
have you actually ever been abroad before?

Been to the U.S a few times over the years. I always thought I don't know why that you could only bring duty free into the country and take it out. So i never made any purchases heading for the states. You learn something new everyday:thumbup:

bowenaj37 May 22nd 2010 1:19 pm

So what will happen when I walk up with my duty free bag and hand the white form over to the fella at the Customs Desk. That happens at the other side in Chicago I believe not at Dublin. Will I be in for all sorts of questions will my bags then get searched?