Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

U.S Customs allowance limit for UK Citizen?

U.S Customs allowance limit for UK Citizen?

Old May 21st 2010, 7:55 pm
Banned

bowenaj37 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default U.S Customs allowance limit for UK Citizen?

So what can I take into the United States?. Is there a limit on what I can take like alcohol, cigarettes. I know about the 10k reporting limits I haven't got 10k cash anyway and the requirements for declaration of fruits and veg. I won't be taking any fruits and veg. I might want to take some cans of English beer a maybe a bottle of baileys for my girl. I know I can't purchase duty free at the airport as EU citizen on an outward bound flight.
Old May 21st 2010, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

srefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: U.S Customs allowance limit for UK Citizen?

Originally Posted by bowenaj37
So what can I take into the United States?. Is there a limit on what I can take like alcohol, cigarettes. I know about the 10k reporting limits I haven't got 10k cash anyway and the requirements for declaration of fruits and veg. I won't be taking any fruits and veg. I might want to take some cans of English beer a maybe a bottle of baileys for my girl. I know I can't purchase duty free at the airport as EU citizen on an outward bound flight.
I'm confused. Surely you can purchase duty free at the airport, unless the USA has joined the EU without me noticing?!

Not sure what the limit is for alcohol or tobacco, but the limit for goods that will be staying in the country for non US residents is $100.
Old May 21st 2010, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

srefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of light

P.S. Always good to check here!

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/ukcust1.html#alcohol
Old May 21st 2010, 8:50 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by srefre
I'm confused. Surely you can purchase duty free at the airport, unless the USA has joined the EU without me noticing?!

Not sure what the limit is for alcohol or tobacco, but the limit for goods that will be staying in the country for non US residents is $100.
I am travelling to the U.S from an EU country and I am a citizen of an EU country the UK. I was under the impression you cant purchase duty free if you are travelling to the U.S from an EU country if you are an EU citizen.

I saw the 100 bucks limit and you declare it on the reverse side of the form. Would I be required to show a receipt for the goods to confirm their value?
Old May 21st 2010, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

I am travelling to the U.S from an EU country and I am a citizen of an EU country the UK. I was under the impression you cant purchase duty free if you are travelling to the U.S from an EU country if you are an EU citizen.

I saw the 100 bucks limit and you declare it on the reverse side of the form. Would I be required to show a receipt for the goods to confirm their value?
You only have a problem going from an EU country to another EU country. As long as you are not ending up in an EU country when travelling from an EU country you won't pay duty.

You should be prepared to show a receipt. I have never been asked for one, but that's not to say they cannot do it.
I would guess if you had cases full of stuff and claimed it was $99 they might be suspicious and ask questions. For just a couple of beers or a bottle of Baileys, I doubt they'd worry.
Old May 21st 2010, 9:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Stand by for the remake of M. Hulot's Holiday.

Last edited by Sally Redux; May 21st 2010 at 9:06 pm.
Old May 21st 2010, 11:57 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by srefre
You only have a problem going from an EU country to another EU country. As long as you are not ending up in an EU country when travelling from an EU country you won't pay duty.

You should be prepared to show a receipt. I have never been asked for one, but that's not to say they cannot do it.
I would guess if you had cases full of stuff and claimed it was $99 they might be suspicious and ask questions. For just a couple of beers or a bottle of Baileys, I doubt they'd worry.
Thanks
Old May 22nd 2010, 12:07 am
Dis-Member

SagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond repute

I never bothered with booze or cigs duty free....much cheaper here.
Old May 22nd 2010, 12:14 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

yep - baileys is easily found in my local supermarket.
Old May 22nd 2010, 3:58 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

I was under the impression you cant purchase duty free if you are travelling to the U.S from an EU country if you are an EU citizen.
Reread what you wrote there, then go look at folks' opinions of the impressions you're labouring under re. illegal immigration...
Old May 22nd 2010, 11:00 am
Banned

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Reread what you wrote there, then go look at folks' opinions of the impressions you're labouring under re. illegal immigration...
I guess I am wrong about that then. I have always only bought the duty free on the return journey and walked through the nothing to declare isle at the UK customs point. Buying what I need on this side is simply one less thing to do when I get there. That's my thinking. It is something to think about.

Thanks for the help folks
Old May 22nd 2010, 12:14 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

have you actually ever been abroad before?
Old May 22nd 2010, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of light

I've bought gin and taken it with me on a flight from Heathrow to the US. It was on special offer otherwise I wouldn't have bothered.

Last edited by jeepgirluk; May 22nd 2010 at 1:06 pm.
Old May 22nd 2010, 1:17 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Manc
have you actually ever been abroad before?
Been to the U.S a few times over the years. I always thought I don't know why that you could only bring duty free into the country and take it out. So i never made any purchases heading for the states. You learn something new everyday

Last edited by bowenaj37; May 22nd 2010 at 1:20 pm.
Old May 22nd 2010, 1:19 pm
Banned

So what will happen when I walk up with my duty free bag and hand the white form over to the fella at the Customs Desk. That happens at the other side in Chicago I believe not at Dublin. Will I be in for all sorts of questions will my bags then get searched?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.