Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

transferring money between two different US banks?

transferring money between two different US banks?

Old Aug 9th 2009, 12:16 am
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: transferring money between two different US banks?

Just right them a bloody cheque.
Old Aug 9th 2009, 1:34 am
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
Just right them a bloody cheque.
they'll have starved to death before it clears, they need the money on monday.
Old Aug 9th 2009, 5:25 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist
Ok, so Western Union declined our transfer because they wanted a social security number and I don't have one.

So, if I go to the recipients bank on Monday morning (there is a branch here in town) and ask to deposit directly into his account, will they allow me to do that without any problems, does it cost to do this ? and will he get it that day if I pay cash?
You're not going to believe this, but some banks won't let 'strangers' (not named on account) make deposits. Take cash for the deposit?
Old Aug 9th 2009, 5:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
You're not going to believe this, but some banks won't let 'strangers' (not named on account) make deposits. Take cash for the deposit?
Anti money-laundering laws. I doubt a relatively small amount of cash would be declined. And I regularly deposit a check into someone else's bank account without issues.
Old Aug 9th 2009, 5:41 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Anti money-laundering laws. I doubt a relatively small amount of cash would be declined. And I regularly deposit a check into someone else's bank account without issues.
I've been caught out by it, but good to hear it can be done. My folks wanted to put some $$ on my HELOC (I know they just want to feel entitled to the new guest room) and what a fiasco! They wanted to do a three way call and all sorts of nonsense. And that's just recently.

Sort of unrelated.. the bank printed a personal name instead of the business name on a book of deposit slips (individual is named on the account). Try to make a deposit one day and the bank will not accept it. WTF? The printed account number is the same, I've got one of those million year old deposit stamps to endorse the check (not a signature), the *bank* printed the dep slips.. honestly. I wish I *did* have some money to launder. grrr