Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

transferring money between two different US banks?

transferring money between two different US banks?

Old Aug 8th 2009, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute
Default transferring money between two different US banks?

A very quick question, I have a very skint friend here in the USA and I would like to send them a wee sub.

How long does it usually for the money to clear into their account? I'm assuming their bank is different as we have a small local bank.

Thanks y'all

P.S. I'm assuming I can send it via my online banking, but maybe not? I'm open to any ideas that don't cost me a ton to send the money.
Old Aug 8th 2009, 10:54 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: transferring money between two different US banks?

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist
A very quick question, I have a very skint friend here in the USA and I would like to send them a wee sub.

How long does it usually for the money to clear into their account? I'm assuming their bank is different as we have a small local bank.

Thanks y'all

P.S. I'm assuming I can send it via my online banking, but maybe not? I'm open to any ideas that don't cost me a ton to send the money.
Should clear immeditely, it has when ever I have done it, but they may charge you to do this transaction.
Old Aug 8th 2009, 10:56 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Try this it might be cheaper

http://www.westernunion.com/WUCOMWEB...ename=HomePage
Old Aug 8th 2009, 11:08 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

I transfer funds electronically from my USAA checking account to my ING Direct savings account all the time, and occasionally the other way around. It usually takes 2-4 business days (Mon-Fri) for the transferred funds to appear -- although I've found it typically takes longer to transfer ING Direct > USAA than it does to transfer USAA > ING Direct.

In my case, neither USAA nor ING Direct charge me to transfer funds or to receive transferred funds. Whether your bank and/or your friend's bank has the same benefit, that's up to the banks.

~ Jenney
Old Aug 8th 2009, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!

I'm going to take a look at Western Union and see what they charge.

Poppy - What's happened to all your cat avatars, did you run out of new ones?
Old Aug 8th 2009, 11:13 pm

Thanks!

I'm going to take a look at Western Union and see what they charge.

Poppy - What's happened to all your cat avatars, did you run out of new ones?
LOL no they are plenty stacked in my file lol....just wanted to make folk aware that skin cancer can effect anyone at anytime......waiting for my results...Kittys will be back on Monday
Old Aug 8th 2009, 11:24 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

why not send them a cheque? You've probably got loads of the buggers and might as well put them to use some time
Old Aug 8th 2009, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh!

I didn't know, how could I have missed that! I hope you're doing ok girl!
Old Aug 8th 2009, 11:40 pm

Oh!

I didn't know, how could I have missed that! I hope you're doing ok girl!
Oh many folk on here have had a mole taken off, but it just made me realise that the little buggers can be cancerous if they are not taken care of ASAP.

Dr thinks mine is fine I made the choice to have it removed.

I was looking Western Union I think its your best bet they could have it today even Good Luck
Old Aug 9th 2009, 12:46 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Western Union is quite expensive with fees for domestic (US) transfers that range from greater than 10% of the amount sent for small amounts down to (I think) about 5% for larger amounts. Generally I would avoid using services like Western Union or Moneygram except in dire emergencies when it was really important to get cash to someone immediately and you don't really care about how much it costs.

A wire transfer from your bank to the recipient's bank is probably the next fastest way of sending money - domestic wire transfers are typically made for a flat fee (probably $20 - $25 depending on your bank) regardless of the amount sent and should be available by the next business day.

Just mailing a check to someone is easy but, depending on the funds availability policies of the recipient's bank it could take a *long* time for the money to be available after the check is deposited. Banks often quote ridiculous times like 10 to 14 days for out of state personal checks - it often turns out to be less but there is no guarantee that it will.

A cashier's check should clear faster but probably not "immediately" since banks are becoming increasingly wary of them because of the large number of frauds involving fake cashiers' checks.
Old Aug 9th 2009, 1:01 am

You can calculate it here

https://wumt.westernunion.com/WUCOMW...do?method=load Go to get price quote on the right of the page once you enter the site.

Looks like immediate transfer is $15 thats cheaper then the bank.
Old Aug 9th 2009, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
You can calculate it here

https://wumt.westernunion.com/WUCOMW...do?method=load Go to get price quote on the right of the page once you enter the site.

Looks like immediate transfer is $15 thats cheaper then the bank.
That's $15 to transfer $100 - the more you transfer the more it costs.

$100 costs $15.99.

$200 costs $23.99.

$500 costs $43.99.

$1000 costs $79.99.

So, for about $200 or more a wire transfer is going to be cheaper.
Old Aug 9th 2009, 3:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Ok, so Western Union declined our transfer because they wanted a social security number and I don't have one.

So, if I go to the recipients bank on Monday morning (there is a branch here in town) and ask to deposit directly into his account, will they allow me to do that without any problems, does it cost to do this ? and will he get it that day if I pay cash?
Old Aug 9th 2009, 3:56 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

So, if I go to the recipients bank on Monday morning (there is a branch here in town) and ask to deposit directly into his account, will they allow me to do that without any problems, does it cost to do this ? and will he get it that day if I pay cash?
depends on the bank.

Could try Walmart, they transfer money on the cheap...

www.xoom.com might be another option?
Old Aug 9th 2009, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Bob,

Also, I don't have a pay in slip for the recipients account...I'll let you know what happens.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.