British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Top Gear Show about Florida scarry!!!!!!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/top-gear-show-about-florida-scarry-426380/)

jumping doris Feb 16th 2007 1:30 pm

Re: Top Gear Show about Florida scarry!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by dan_alford (Post 4408695)
Is that like Anne Summers ;) :p

If only.

kingfisher241049 Feb 16th 2007 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 4410671)
Its actually quite surprising how many people do have them ...
but only about 400K have carry permits though ..

Did'nt the law in Florida change with regard to when its permitted to use a gun? I seem to remember that if you even think you are under threat by someone its legal to use a gun for self defense?

anotherlimey Feb 16th 2007 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by kingfisher241049 (Post 4412211)
Did'nt the law in Florida change with regard to when its permitted to use a gun? I seem to remember that if you even think you are under threat by someone its legal to use a gun for self defense?

I can't remember the exact text of the law, but now you don't have to withdraw from a place you are legally entitled to be.

Ray Feb 16th 2007 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by anotherlimey (Post 4412221)
I can't remember the exact text of the law, but now you don't have to withdraw from a place you are legally entitled to be.

SB-436 the Castle Doctrine started 1 oct 2005

One: It establishes, in law, the presumption that a criminal who forcibly enters or intrudes into your home or occupied vehicle is there to cause death or great bodily harm, therefore a person may use any manner of force, including deadly force, against that person.

Two: It removes the "duty to retreat" if you are attacked in any place you have a right to be. You no longer have to turn your back on a criminal and try to run when attacked. Instead, you may stand your ground and fight back, meeting force with force, including deadly force, if you reasonably believe it is necessary to prevent death or great bodily harm to yourself or others.

Three: It provides that persons using force authorized by law shall not be prosecuted for using such force.

It also prohibits criminals and their families from suing victims for injuring or killing the criminals who have attacked them.

In short, it gives rights back to law-abiding people and forces judges and prosecutors who are prone to coddling criminals to instead focus on protecting victims.

cabritpop Feb 16th 2007 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by anotherlimey (Post 4410318)
It would be rude not to!

Good, I thought you were one of those wanna be cowboys for a minute.

cabritpop Feb 16th 2007 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by Mallory (Post 4412052)
yep, i accidentally shot myself this morning while dusting hubby's night stand!

You ought to be more careful love. :lol: :lol:

moving2montreal Feb 16th 2007 3:53 pm

i watched the whole top gear episode and it was pretty funny. they were dumb to try a stunt like that in alabama though.

dunroving Feb 16th 2007 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by Mallory (Post 4412052)
yep, i accidentally shot myself this morning while dusting hubby's night stand!

Not sure why you'd make a joke about the number of numpties who don't have enough sense to hide their guns from their kids. :confused:

The biggest problem with guns in the US is that pretty much anyone can have one, regardless of their knowledge about gun safety or intelligence to apply it.

Ray Feb 16th 2007 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 4412754)
Not sure why you'd make a joke about the number of numpties who don't have enough sense to hide their guns from their kids. :confused: .

LOL... I think you had better read that again ...

TouristTrap Feb 16th 2007 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 4412237)
SB-436 the Castle Doctrine started 1 oct 2005

One: It establishes, in law, the presumption that a criminal who forcibly enters or intrudes into your home or occupied vehicle is there to cause death or great bodily harm, therefore a person may use any manner of force, including deadly force, against that person.

Two: It removes the "duty to retreat" if you are attacked in any place you have a right to be. You no longer have to turn your back on a criminal and try to run when attacked. Instead, you may stand your ground and fight back, meeting force with force, including deadly force, if you reasonably believe it is necessary to prevent death or great bodily harm to yourself or others.

Three: It provides that persons using force authorized by law shall not be prosecuted for using such force.

It also prohibits criminals and their families from suing victims for injuring or killing the criminals who have attacked them.

In short, it gives rights back to law-abiding people and forces judges and prosecutors who are prone to coddling criminals to instead focus on protecting victims.

Hear hear!!

suzanne7575 Feb 17th 2007 9:10 am

Originally Posted by TouristTrap (Post 4413320)
Hear hear!!

sounds like a decent law to me, I could never beilieve that her and in the states that people were put in prison for being a victim of crime and doing something to protect themselves.

I just watched the top gear programme and TBH it basically just did everything in it possibly could to make America look like the worst place on earth. I think everyone knows that parts of America are dangerous and you do not go there, let alone make yourself subject to violence by paintng slogans on your car. Yes America is a place with high crime and violence, but I wouldn't say it is the most dangerous places in the world, I can think of many more places i would never ever go to, and indeed here in lovely old UK there are parts of any major city where you would not go after dark. It's all about research and common sense.

Dan725 Feb 19th 2007 1:37 am

Originally Posted by suzanne7575 (Post 4415332)
I just watched the top gear programme and TBH it basically just did everything in it possibly could to make America look like the worst place on earth. I think everyone knows that parts of America are dangerous and you do not go there, let alone make yourself subject to violence by paintng slogans on your car. Yes America is a place with high crime and violence, but I wouldn't say it is the most dangerous places in the world, I can think of many more places i would never ever go to, and indeed here in lovely old UK there are parts of any major city where you would not go after dark. It's all about research and common sense.

I'd agree - not seen the program but heard plenty about it. As you say, I wonder how they would fair if they took some knackered cars, wrote some choice slogans on them and then drove around the rougher estates in London, Birmingham and Manchester (and other cities), or any gypo campsite? I'm inclined to think they might get an even worse reaction!

wildmark Mar 5th 2007 12:26 am

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 4402270)
Your right !!! I am just a plain old nice guy to all !!!

..and the guns helps:rofl:

Englishmum Mar 11th 2007 1:44 am

It seems that Jeremy Clarkson is no longer going to be a presenter on "Top Gear":

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...ntopgear11.xml

Bob Mar 11th 2007 3:08 am

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 4505924)
It seems that Jeremy Clarkson is no longer going to be a presenter on "Top Gear":

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...ntopgear11.xml

oooh errr...can't see it being the same if he goes, the show hasn't been the same since the other old timers buggered off to do 5th gear like Tiff and Quintin...