British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Top Gear Show about Florida scarry!!!!!!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/top-gear-show-about-florida-scarry-426380/)

Bob Feb 15th 2007 1:31 am

Re: Top Gear Show about Florida scarry!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Both Worlds (Post 4405991)
... What areas are good to bring a family to-I guessed Orlando was a tourist spot-where do the hurricanes hit! I other words what are the good areas that weren't shown on Top Gear!:blink:

for a visit, well any tourist trap....but to live, it boils down to how much you earn and how good your medical insurance is, that'll determine where you can afford to live, and the cost of living would depend on how much property tax is and how much insurance is.

TouristTrap Feb 15th 2007 4:43 am

Originally Posted by Both Worlds (Post 4406166)
Well visiting as we are moving to Brisbane in September-still I did grow up in California but I am British BUT my sister is American-I am quite international really-I would like to stay in Florida one day or maybe buy property or both-I would like to have a neutral country instead of the ongoing "war" between England v Australia-I am rather tired of it-plus I would like to give my art some chance (painter/installation artist)-but at least I feel I could come over and stay for maybe 3 months but I wanted to stay longer I would need permission to stay-I could apply to stay because of a sibling but I think that could take 10 years? what areas do u recommend-Fort Lauderdale? as for hurricanes didn't one hit just recently? where was that? I think it was Tampa?;)

Tampa hasn't had a hurricane in 80 odd years touch wood!

South Beach, Miami is where the artists hang out. That's where you'd want to hang out I'm sure. The rest of the state is pretty conservative although there are a lot of 'traveler's I think they're called in the UK, who live in the National Park up the road, who smoke pot and try to convert you to Christianity :D

Hurricanes can hit anywhere at anytime, just the luck of the draw I guess.

TouristTrap Feb 15th 2007 4:44 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 4406296)
for a visit, well any tourist trap....but to live, it boils down to how much you earn and how good your medical insurance is, that'll determine where you can afford to live, and the cost of living would depend on how much property tax is and how much insurance is.

You did that on purpose didn't ya? :p

anabella Feb 15th 2007 4:52 am

Originally Posted by TouristTrap (Post 4406627)
Tampa hasn't had a hurricane in 80 odd years touch wood!

South Beach, Miami is where the artists hang out. That's where you'd want to hang out I'm sure. The rest of the state is pretty conservative although there are a lot of 'traveler's I think they're called in the UK, who live in the National Park up the road, who smoke pot and try to convert you to Christianity :D

Hurricanes can hit anywhere at anytime, just the luck of the draw I guess.

I think travelers are called gypsies..

The boy's journey with their "man love", "Nascar sucks", etc cars was a great laugh..

dunroving Feb 15th 2007 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Both Worlds (Post 4405991)
No I dont live "here" thats why I am asking people about it who actually do-I dont know if I would even visit Florida but I am interested in the state and the US as a whole-I just want to know if Top Gears interpretation is accurate-What I can sense is it was set up in areas purposely chosen to create drama-I wouldn't want to live in a place that I felt threatened in-this is where Australia and England could win or is this wrong? What areas are good to bring a family to-I guessed Orlando was a tourist spot-where do the hurricanes hit! I other words what are the good areas that weren't shown on Top Gear!:blink:

The Forgotten coast in the panhandle is my absolute favorite part of Florida. St. George Island and Apalachicola in particular. Bit off the beaten track, though, if you are looking for touristy or urbane.

Both Worlds Feb 15th 2007 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 4406296)

Is property tax the same as stamp duty? How expensive is it say for property $200,000 range-medical insurance is expensive maybe as much as the council tax? Is it around $50 per week? (family of 4)

Ray Feb 15th 2007 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Both Worlds (Post 4407571)
Is property tax the same as stamp duty? How expensive is it say for property $200,000 range-medical insurance is expensive maybe as much as the council tax? Is it around $50 per week? (family of 4)

Property tax is the same as what uses to be called rates in the UK ..but nowadays no idea ..you pay it every year
for a $200k house it can vary between $1500 and $5000 per year..
again depend on area ...

Medical Insurance can vary wildly mid range and your youngish $500 a month ..

Both Worlds Feb 15th 2007 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 4407587)
Property tax is the same as what uses to be called rates in the UK ..but nowadays no idea ..you pay it every year
for a $200k house it can vary between $1500 and $5000 per year..
again depend on area ...

Medical Insurance can vary wildly mid range and your youngish $500 a month ..

Would u pay property tax if u rented the house out? England NO but Australia u do!

Ray Feb 15th 2007 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by Both Worlds (Post 4407619)
Would u pay property tax if u rented the house out? England NO but Australia u do!

Of course ......and you must do in the UK .all property is taxed yearly everywhere ...

Both Worlds Feb 15th 2007 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 4407636)
Of course ......and you must do in the UK .all property is taxed yearly everywhere ...

No u dont in England-when we were renting a short time ago WE had to pay the council tax (rates) NOT the owner!!!:ohmy:

Ray Feb 15th 2007 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Both Worlds (Post 4407646)
No u dont in England-when we were renting a short time ago WE had to pay the council tax (rates) NOT the owner!!!:ohmy:

DuH!!! Well then you paid it ....JeeZ ..Some landlord include it in the rent ..some don't....
Confusion reigns ....

Both Worlds Feb 15th 2007 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 4407658)
DuH!!! Well then you paid it ....JeeZ ..Some landlord include it in the rent ..some don't....
Confusion reigns ....

Thats interesting what is the average 3 bedroom house rent there-I know it would depends on the area but lets say an average/niceish area?

Ray Feb 15th 2007 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by Both Worlds (Post 4407676)
Thats interesting what is the average 3 bedroom house rent there-I know it would depends on the area but lets say an average/niceish area?

Presuming you talking long term as against holiday rental ...
Very difficult as say somewhere like Naples would be three times say that of Tampa..and Key West would be three times that of Naples ..or thereabout

But say a $1400 a month as a very rough guide

But with areas so difficult

compare these two ..

http://homes.sptimes.com/RealEstate/...lid=22-7231559

http://homes.sptimes.com/RealEstate/...lid=22-7236765

kingfisher241049 Feb 15th 2007 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by Both Worlds (Post 4400258)
Saw the Top Gear show on Sunday-I am really worried now about Florida-Is it really that bad? It looks violent-did anyone see the show-its on again today on BBC2 at 7 PM I think:unsure:

Generally Florida is no better or worse than any other state. The violence is over rated, but it does exist like anywhere else in the USA. If you steer clear of drug dealers and other criminals you should be fine. If you go looking for trouble you will certainly find it.

I have been here for 2 years, and have'nt had any problems whatsoever. People are usually friendly, but there are ignorant morons here just like in the UK and I expect just like in Australia.

Come and see for yourself, you will be fine!!

HappyHammer Feb 15th 2007 2:27 pm

Clarkson in Florida - Now that's scary !!!