Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving to Florida. Need to know everything!

Thinking of moving to Florida. Need to know everything!

Old Jul 8th 2006, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Thinking of moving to Florida. Need to know everything!

Originally Posted by AvromShalom
We'll probably head elsewhere, possibly Mexico , possibly Bangkok , Florida was a mistake made in haste ,With regards to what is bad, where do I start ?The things you stated in your list esp Medical insurance, The humidity is killing me, How transient the state is and how Dumb the Yanks are, The fact that therethere is more culture in the Yoghurt in my Fridge. I could go on and on. I'd seriously warn anyone off moving to Florida.
Got to take my hat off to you for the "more culture in my yoghurt" comment, that is one of the best ones I have heard in a while. You should make it into a bumper sticker or badges and sell them to fellow countrymen, considering the move to Florida!

Is there any chance you could relocate within the US? the upper East coast has a much better offering, even some towns and cities with a bit more in the way of History, real working centre etc
I have spent time in Bangkok and Mexico city with work and it can be a bit mental, of course tons and tons of culture and history, only in Bangkok can you sit in a bar with a live boxing match placed in the middle of the bar, chat with 14 year old transvestite boys and watch them stick a live snake down your coworkers shorts at half time. second thoughts that could happen in New York or California!
Old Jul 8th 2006, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

AvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud of
Default Re: Thinking of moving to Florida. Need to know everything!

Originally Posted by Tbag
Got to take my hat off to you for the "more culture in my yoghurt" comment, that is one of the best ones I have heard in a while. You should make it into a bumper sticker or badges and sell them to fellow countrymen, considering the move to Florida!

Is there any chance you could relocate within the US? the upper East coast has a much better offering, even some towns and cities with a bit more in the way of History, real working centre etc
I have spent time in Bangkok and Mexico city with work and it can be a bit mental, of course tons and tons of culture and history, only in Bangkok can you sit in a bar with a live boxing match placed in the middle of the bar, chat with 14 year old transvestite boys and watch them stick a live snake down your coworkers shorts at half time. second thoughts that could happen in New York or California!
It's ironic really I really really wanted to come to America, managed to secure a Green card very very easily , but I just don't "get it" now I'm here. I Kinda live inside my head unable to relate to most of the people round me. Would it make sense for me to say that culturally America certainly is different but not different enough. I fancy a touch of the exotic ie Mexico or Thailand, we've looked at Boston, and a few other places in the US , I certainly don't want to live in the UK again . We'll see what pans out..

Last edited by AvromShalom; Jul 8th 2006 at 6:37 pm. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old Jul 8th 2006, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

AvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
Because they have been to Fantasy Island aka Orlando a couple of times, where they were surrounded by chavs just like themselves and the rain was warm.
Ain't that the truth!
Old Jul 8th 2006, 6:49 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AvromShalom
We'll probably head elsewhere, possibly Mexico , possibly Bangkok , Florida was a mistake made in haste ,With regards to what is bad, where do I start ?The things you stated in your list esp Medical insurance, The humidity is killing me, How transient the state is and how Dumb the Yanks are, The fact that there is more culture in the Yoghurt in my Fridge. I could go on and on. I'd seriously warn anyone off moving to Florida.
I have been to lots and lots of places and have lived in Manchester UK, Peak District, Stoke-on-Trent, Manhattan NY and Fort Myers FL.

Everywhere has something to offer, even Stoke (although am hard pressed to remember it).The trick is to focus on the good stuff and let the bad pass you by.

Mexico and Bangkok both have a higher crime rate (sfaik) worse medical care, language issues, Hurricanes/Typhoons....the list goes on if you want to be negative about it (and I love Thailand).

The worst thing in Fort Myers is/are the Snowbirds, but they have all gone home to one of the vowel-states. Of course we now have red tide so the beaches are unuseable and it's raining like kingdom come at the moment.

All my neighbours are Bible-Bashing-Baptists but it doesn't stop them being good neghbours.

However FtM generally still beats living in most other places I have rested my head at night.
Old Jul 8th 2006, 6:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

. Of course we now have red tide so the beaches are unuseable and it's raining like kingdom come at the moment.

Red tide? is that due to animals having been killed
Old Jul 8th 2006, 6:59 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

All my neighbours are Bible-Bashing-Baptists but it doesn't stop them being good neghbours.
Now why did I read that as Bible-Bashing-Rapists?
Old Jul 8th 2006, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

I have been to lots and lots of places and have lived in Manchester UK, Peak District, Stoke-on-Trent, Manhattan NY and Fort Myers FL.

Everywhere has something to offer, even Stoke (although am hard pressed to remember it).The trick is to focus on the good stuff and let the bad pass you by.

Mexico and Bangkok both have a higher crime rate (sfaik) worse medical care, language issues, Hurricanes/Typhoons....the list goes on if you want to be negative about it (and I love Thailand).

The worst thing in Fort Myers is/are the Snowbirds, but they have all gone home to one of the vowel-states. Of course we now have red tide so the beaches are unuseable and it's raining like kingdom come at the moment.

However FtM generally still beats living in most other places I have rested my head at night.
I get your point about looking for the good and ignoring the bad, but the truth is that Florida simply ain't working for us . I need the buzz of a city again and I need a touch of adventure, and I ain't finding it here.
Old Jul 8th 2006, 7:02 pm

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
It's an algae bloom that takes the oxygen out of the water and and suffocates the fish. They wash up on the beaches in their thousands. I have even seen a 4' shark dead on the beach in Venice FL.

The stench of the dead fish and the algae stings your eyes and affects your breathing, particularly if you have Asthma or some other similar problem.
Old Jul 8th 2006, 7:09 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
No!!! its from the sacrificial virgins ..we feed to the sharks ....
Old Jul 8th 2006, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
No!!! its from the sacrificial virgins ..we feed to the sharks ....

Loadabollox - there aren't any virgins left over the age of 16, so my younger 8-ball buddies tell me.
Old Jul 8th 2006, 7:26 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Loadabollox - there aren't any virgins left over the age of 16, so my younger 8-ball buddies tell me.
I do hope there is a few ..age of consent is 18 ....
Old Jul 8th 2006, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
I do hope there is a few ..age of consent is 18 ....
Tell that to the 20 year old in our office who has a 5-year old.
Old Jul 8th 2006, 8:35 pm
Ray

Tell that to the 20 year old in our office who has a 5-year old.
Immaculate conception...
Old Jul 8th 2006, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

Vikki66 has a spectacular aura aboutVikki66 has a spectacular aura aboutVikki66 has a spectacular aura about

The grass isnt any greener on this side of the pond!!! It would be almost impossible for you to get here and earn a living. You have the whole of Europe to consider?? Why Florida???
Old Jul 8th 2006, 9:04 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vikki66
The grass isnt any greener on this side of the pond!!! It would be almost impossible for you to get here and earn a living. You have the whole of Europe to consider?? Why Florida???
Hello

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.