Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving to Florida. Need to know everything!

Thinking of moving to Florida. Need to know everything!

Old Jul 7th 2006, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

mum2two is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking of moving to Florida. Need to know everything!

Hi, I'm Gemma, have a partner Tom, 2 lovely children, Cameron, 3 and Alyssa, 8 months.
We live in Leicester at the minute and hate it!
We've been talking about moving for a while and we've decided to go with Florida.
BUT we don't own our house at the minute and have never had a mortgage so have absolutely no idea how to go about it.
I need all the information anyone has about,

What we need to actually emigrate, ie visa's etc

How my partner can work. Does he have to be transferred from his work now? Or will he have to get another job when over there?

What happens when you buy a house abroad, in what order?

Do we need a mortgage first, or a property?

Do we need a solicitor, or an Advisor?

Well there's loads. I know nothing, so any info anyone has is desperately needed! I know it won't be easy and will take a while, but I need to know everything. Would anyone be willing to run through everything they had to do, from when they decided to move, until their arrival? Or later if there's something else we should know.

Thanks in advance. Really want to move over there, been there a few times and have always hated coming back. lol
Old Jul 7th 2006, 8:46 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of moving to Florida. Need to know everything!

Originally Posted by mum2two
Thanks in advance. Really want to move over there, been there a few times and have always hated coming back. lol
o crap, why'd I have to click when I did?

hi Gemma. Put on your flame proof suit and read this: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=330696

I was going to just make a crack about the bugs (you said you need to know everything) but I see a dedicated 'bug' thread for Florida a few lines down.

You are miles from the questions you have yet. Yes, you have to sort out the visa thing, and I didn't see any of the right info in your message.

Good luck!
Old Jul 7th 2006, 8:47 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I'm Gemma, have a partner Tom, 2 lovely children, Cameron, 3 and Alyssa, 8 months.
We've been talking about moving for a while and we've decided to go with Florida.
BUT we don't own our house at the minute and have never had a mortgage so have absolutely no idea how to go about it.

How my partner can work. Does he have to be transferred from his work now? Or will he have to get another job when over there?

Well there's loads. I know nothing, so any info anyone has is desperately needed! I know it won't be easy and will take a while, but I need to know everything. Would anyone be willing to run through everything they had to do, from when they decided to move, until their arrival? Or later if there's something else we should know.

Oh dear. We have a live one people!
Old Jul 7th 2006, 9:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah
Oh dear. We have a live one people!
Oops....don't want to be accused of not being friendly or accusing newbies of trolling.

Hi Gemma, weather nice in the UK is it? Great weekend for sports fans...Wimbledon and the World Cup. Welcome to BE.
Old Jul 7th 2006, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

Roadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to behold

I'm assuming you are both UK citizens with no family ties to the US.

The first thing you'll need is a visa. To actually live and work here, you'll need a work-related visa. They're pretty selective, to say the least. Have a look at www.uscis.gov for the visa classifications. Youre right about the company transfer thing, that's the L1 visa. Mine was a bona fide no-problem case, but it still took months. After arriving on the visa, you then apply for permanent residency. Again, they will look at whether it benefits the US. Actually, you can apply for the permanent residency from the UK, but it will take well over a year.

It's not impossible to get a mortgage here, but not easy either. There are firms who will do it. PM me if you want details. Visa or green card is pretty much a necessity, so get that first.

Similar questions get asked all the time, without people realising the enormity of the task facing them. As I said, mine was a no-problem case, and yet it took about 5 months of grief, worry and heartache. If you dont have something special up your sleeve (like a US subsidiary company, or you are a doctor), the visa will be very difficult to obtain.

I'm afraid that if you are looking for a change of scenery to being a barmaid in Orlando rather than Leicester, it's not going to happen. If you work for Microsoft on the other hand....

Best of luck. Leicester is indeed a $hithole, and feeling sorry for you living there is the only reason I spent my time replying to you, instead of in the 90 degree sunshine

It's worth the effort, if you have a realistic chance of success.
Old Jul 7th 2006, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really nice

Originally Posted by Roadster280
I'm assuming you are both UK citizens with no family ties to the US.

The first thing you'll need is a visa. To actually live and work here, you'll need a work-related visa. They're pretty selective, to say the least. Have a look at www.uscis.gov for the visa classifications. Youre right about the company transfer thing, that's the L1 visa. Mine was a bona fide no-problem case, but it still took months. After arriving on the visa, you then apply for permanent residency. Again, they will look at whether it benefits the US. Actually, you can apply for the permanent residency from the UK, but it will take well over a year.

It's not impossible to get a mortgage here, but not easy either. There are firms who will do it. PM me if you want details. Visa or green card is pretty much a necessity, so get that first.

Similar questions get asked all the time, without people realising the enormity of the task facing them. As I said, mine was a no-problem case, and yet it took about 5 months of grief, worry and heartache. If you dont have something special up your sleeve (like a US subsidiary company, or you are a doctor), the visa will be very difficult to obtain.

I'm afraid that if you are looking for a change of scenery to being a barmaid in Orlando rather than Leicester, it's not going to happen. If you work for Microsoft on the other hand....

Best of luck. Leicester is indeed a $hithole, and feeling sorry for you living there is the only reason I spent my time replying to you, instead of in the 90 degree sunshine

It's worth the effort, if you have a realistic chance of success.

....The harsh truth. Good Luck !
Old Jul 7th 2006, 9:12 pm
Being myself

peterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't have any family here and your partner isn't a US citizen then you're going to find it incredibly difficult emigrating over here. Have you thought about going to Spain or Portugal for a life in the sun? It's much easier to emigrate there and if you don't like it then it's much easier to get back. Good luck.
Old Jul 7th 2006, 9:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!

RAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY where are you?????

Old Jul 7th 2006, 9:27 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Plenty of advisors on this board and probably a few who have solicited as well.

Tell us about your jobs and financial situation.
Old Jul 7th 2006, 9:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc

You've stole my line....a simple

Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy

should do it.
Old Jul 7th 2006, 9:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You say partner, not spouse...so your not married? makes it tougher if you all want to go....but why Florida?
Old Jul 7th 2006, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You've stole my line....a simple

Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy

should do it.
Still new here..................... but am loudly cackling Jerseygirl,
Can't wait to read his posts or Elvira's either will entertain!
Old Jul 7th 2006, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

Arizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond repute

Here is something that might help you!!

There are basically seven ways that you can get a visa to live and
work in the US:

1) Marriage to a US citizen, or engagement for marriage which must
take place.

2) You have skills that are in short supply in the US such as
scientific or medical training. The job must be the sort that
usually needs a degree, and you must have a relevant one or
at least 12 years of degree-level relevant experience.

3) You have an employer who is willing to transfer you. The
employer has to make a good case for you. You typically have
to be a manager unless you fall under category (2) above.

4) You may get a Green card in the diversity lottery (people born
in Britain are usually not eligible; they may be if their
spouse or parents were born in eligible countries).

5) You own or buy business (but you cannot get to Permanent
Resident Status this way - that is, no green card). The
business must have a minimum value of around $100k (the more
the better) bearing in mind you will need somewhere to live,
and with any startup business you will need at least 2 years
living money as back up. So a figure of $250k would be clsoer
to a realistic minimum.

6) You are an "investor" i.e. you have at least US $1m in assets
to bring with you. Your background will be heavilly investigated.

7) You have a close relative (mother, father, brother, sister and
no further) who is a US citizen and will sponsor you. This takes
anywhere from 2 to 12 years.
GOOD LUCK!!!!!
Old Jul 7th 2006, 10:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Tbag
Still new here..................... but am loudly cackling Jerseygirl,
Can't wait to read his posts or Elvira's either will entertain!

Yep we're a laugh a minute.

Bit concerned about Ray though...he's being rather nice of late...even resorting to replying to new members.
Old Jul 7th 2006, 10:07 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Never gonna happen! Sorry!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.