Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving to Columbus, Ohio from UK

Thinking of moving to Columbus, Ohio from UK

Old May 25th 2008, 10:13 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of moving to Columbus, Ohio from UK

Originally Posted by britvic
Plenty of work tell that to my OH who was born here and just came out of the US Navy, the rest of his family will tell you that there wages have stayed the same for year's or even gone down and yes your right there are plenty of rough areas.
Well you live there so you would know. I was just an outsider looking it, It was a very broad statement from me, it depends on what line of work your in as to what your prospects of securing employment are.

I loved the shopping village Easton, but the rest was no different to anything else I have seen in other US places.

Chicago is much much better in my opinion.
Old May 25th 2008, 10:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brisben
Well you live there so you would know. I was just an outsider looking it, It was a very broad statement from me, it depends on what line of work your in as to what your prospects of securing employment are.

I loved the shopping village Easton, but the rest was no different to anything else I have seen in other US places.

Chicago is much much better in my opinion.
I expect Chicago is as well
Old May 25th 2008, 10:39 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

we came out to columbus from surrey on October 07 and are loving it so far. we live in the north east part of the city.

My husband works in IT and came across with his employer on an L1A visa. it could lead to Green cards. Maybe you could find a job in a firm which has american offices here and transfer with an L1a/b after a year?
Old May 25th 2008, 10:48 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maxl
Elfman, OK thanks for that. Just to complicate things further, my girlfriend is actually a Russian citizen living and working in the US with a US Green Card. Hit me with the bad news

Fatbrit, well I am an atheist and yes I like to think I have a sense of humor
But did she get that green card thru employment, marriage or DV..
Old May 26th 2008, 2:51 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Old May 27th 2008, 2:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I was in Columbus on Saturday. I will be in a couple of weeks as well. True story.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 11:06 pm
Just Joined

Location: From York, North Yorkshire, England to Columbus, Ohio USA.
Fiero_GT will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by MsElui
we came out to columbus from surrey on October 07 and are loving it so far. we live in the north east part of the city.

My husband works in IT and came across with his employer on an L1A visa. it could lead to Green cards. Maybe you could find a job in a firm which has american offices here and transfer with an L1a/b after a year?
I've been in Columbus for a short time. I live in a suburban area east of the city. It does seem that there are a number of "rough" areas in and around the "inner city." I am an IT professional as well and work for a major telecommunications company. It seems a good city EXCEPT - I am (here I go) a bit poof. For me there was a period of adjustment because the Americans in general don't seem to be so "forward thinking" as people in the UK about such matters although there is a large gay community in Columbus. If straight there should be little problems in that regard. Expect a few strange looks and occasionally a problem communicating with the locals. I went to a so called "pub" one evening in Gahanna and there was a man who could not for his life determine what I meant by a "car park." I'm sure it was my Yorkshire accent. He just kept asking me to repeat myself!

Best of British making your way mate!
Old Jun 18th 2008, 11:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fiero_GT
I've been in Columbus for a short time. I live in a suburban area east of the city. It does seem that there are a number of "rough" areas in and around the "inner city." I am an IT professional as well and work for a major telecommunications company. It seems a good city EXCEPT - I am (here I go) a bit poof. For me there was a period of adjustment because the Americans in general don't seem to be so "forward thinking" as people in the UK about such matters although there is a large gay community in Columbus. If straight there should be little problems in that regard. Expect a few strange looks and occasionally a problem communicating with the locals. I went to a so called "pub" one evening in Gahanna and there was a man who could not for his life determine what I meant by a "car park." I'm sure it was my Yorkshire accent. He just kept asking me to repeat myself!

Best of British making your way mate!
I've noticed a few Gay shops with there rainbow flag's in down town Columbus and I even work .....wait for it.... in Gay Street
Old Jun 19th 2008, 1:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be in Columbus again on the 28th. Another true story.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 9:02 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I went to a so called "pub" one evening in Gahanna and there was a man who could not for his life determine what I meant by a "car park." I'm sure it was my Yorkshire accent. He just kept asking me to repeat myself!
Can't tell if you know or not, but next time try the American "parking lot" & they will understand your accent much better.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 9:23 pm
Just Joined

Location: From York, North Yorkshire, England to Columbus, Ohio USA.
Fiero_GT will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by meauxna
Can't tell if you know or not, but next time try the American "parking lot" & they will understand your accent much better.
So many differences in the "little" things such as parking lot! That's new to me. A woman at work keeps correcting my spelling. I keep hearing "there's no u in that dear!" and "It's spelled center not centre." LOL
http://britishexpats.com/forum/images/smilies/blink.gif
Old Jun 21st 2008, 4:19 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

So many differences in the "little" things such as parking lot! That's new to me. A woman at work keeps correcting my spelling. I keep hearing "there's no u in that dear!" and "It's spelled center not centre." LOL
http://britishexpats.com/forum/images/smilies/blink.gif
British/American Dictionary
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 1:30 am
Just Joined

maxl is just really nicemaxl is just really nicemaxl is just really nicemaxl is just really nicemaxl is just really nicemaxl is just really nicemaxl is just really nicemaxl is just really nice

Hey all, thanks for all your replies! Appreciated.

I am still making plans here in the UK for a move to Columbus. It looks like there is a strong presence of quite a few good IT companies in Columbus so hopefully I will be able to obtain sponsorship to come over.

I had some great walks round Columbus recently and also spotted Gay Street My girlfriend showed me the rainbow flags in the bars The most unusual thing had to be the pet dog clothing store though in down town!

Check out the hot sauces stall in the indoor food market

Cheers!
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 1:41 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maxl
...so hopefully I will be able to obtain sponsorship to come over....
No, you won't. Your chances of sponsorship and an H1-B visa are basically bugger-all.

It's citizenship for your girlfriend, then marry her, I'm afraid.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 1:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
No, you won't. Your chances of sponsorship and an H1-B visa are basically bugger-all.

It's citizenship for your girlfriend, then marry her, I'm afraid.
His only hope to avoid marriage would be a position at Ohio State, I think.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.