Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving to Columbus, Ohio from UK

Thinking of moving to Columbus, Ohio from UK

Old May 25th 2008, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

maxl is just really nicemaxl is just really nicemaxl is just really nicemaxl is just really nicemaxl is just really nicemaxl is just really nicemaxl is just really nicemaxl is just really nice
Default Thinking of moving to Columbus, Ohio from UK

Hi all

I currently live in Yorkshire, England and I am thinking of moving to Columbus, Ohio, USA. I have visited a couple of times and I have a girlfriend who lives in Columbus. Things are going very well between us and I have been thinking about moving to Columbus to live and find a job.

I am a reasonably highly skilled IT worker (Cisco CCIE)and I wondered what my chances are for obtaining a US Green Card? Granted, I still have a lot to read up on but any help would be appreciated.

I guess the most important question for me is has anyone on this forum moved to Columbus from the UK? I would be very interested in hearing your comments about UK living vs living in Columbus.

Any useful comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you!
Old May 25th 2008, 9:00 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of moving to Columbus, Ohio from UK

Originally Posted by maxl
I currently live in Yorkshire, England and I am thinking of moving to Columbus, Ohio, USA. I have visited a couple of times and I have a girlfriend who lives in Columbus. Things are going very well between us and I have been thinking about moving to Columbus to live and find a job.

I am a reasonably highly skilled IT worker (Cisco CCIE)and I wondered what my chances are for obtaining a US Green Card?
Is she American? If so marry her. Otherwise basically nil, based on what you've told us above.

I guess the most important question for me is has anyone on this forum moved to Columbus from the UK?
No, the most important question is how you will be eligible to move over here in the first place. Read the following for confirmation of your options:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA
Old May 25th 2008, 9:02 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Granted, I still have a lot to read up on
Columbus Ohio is the HQ of Pastor Rod and his New Harvest Church. I hope you have a sense of humour -- coz you'll need one!
Old May 25th 2008, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

maxl is just really nicemaxl is just really nicemaxl is just really nicemaxl is just really nicemaxl is just really nicemaxl is just really nicemaxl is just really nicemaxl is just really nice

Elfman, OK thanks for that. Just to complicate things further, my girlfriend is actually a Russian citizen living and working in the US with a US Green Card. Hit me with the bad news

Fatbrit, well I am an atheist and yes I like to think I have a sense of humor
Old May 25th 2008, 9:12 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Elfman, OK thanks for that. Just to complicate things further, my girlfriend is actually a Russian citizen living and working in the US with a US Green Card. Hit me with the bad news

No go on Russian. How far off citizenship is she?
Old May 25th 2008, 9:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

the wiki, look it over, or get another girlfriend?

welcome to BE though.
Old May 25th 2008, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

Pandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud of

Unfortunately it's a bit of a longshot you ever being granted a visa unless she becomes a USC and you marry her.

Getting a green card is easy. It's being allowed in the country in the first place that's the tricky part.
Old May 25th 2008, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

She hasn't actually applied for citizenship yet but she is just over four years into her US Green Card.

Thank you all for your helpful replies - I appreciate it. My original plan was for her to come to the UK and to get married however I wanted a backup plan for me to move to Columbus. I do actually like the US a lot.

I am hoping I won't have to get a new girlfriend just yet

Thank you!
Old May 25th 2008, 9:56 pm
Septicity

She hasn't actually applied for citizenship yet but she is just over four years into her US Green Card.

Thank you all for your helpful replies - I appreciate it. My original plan was for her to come to the UK and to get married however I wanted a backup plan for me to move to Columbus. I do actually like the US a lot.

I am hoping I won't have to get a new girlfriend just yet

Thank you!
Assuming she's going for US citizenship, she can apply 90 days before her fifth anniversary as a permanent resident. It's currently taking a year or more due to a USCIS mess up, but could be back down to 6 months or so by the time she applies. After citizenship, budget another 9 months to get you over. So, two or three years is your current time frame on this, I'm afraid.
Old May 25th 2008, 9:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Columbus Ohio is the HQ of Pastor Rod and his New Harvest Church. I hope you have a sense of humour -- coz you'll need one!
thats true,
Old May 25th 2008, 10:00 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

I am a reasonably highly skilled IT worker (Cisco CCIE)and I wondered what my chances are for obtaining a US Green Card? Granted, I still have a lot to read up on but any help would be appreciated.

I guess the most important question for me is has anyone on this forum moved to Columbus from the UK? I would be very interested in hearing your comments about UK living vs living in Columbus.

Any useful comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you!
I used to work in Columbus and whilst I cannot answer your questions, there is plenty or work there.
As far as I saw most of it was nice and liveable, although had it's rough areas too.

Good luck!
Old May 25th 2008, 10:00 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by britvic
thats true,
Puke bags ready please. Warning: not family or work safe!

Old May 25th 2008, 10:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Puke bags ready please. Warning: not family or work safe!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sCy2yMarPqI
Mad f**ker
Old May 25th 2008, 10:06 pm
Just Joined

Thanks FatBrit - appreciated!

Cheers...
Old May 25th 2008, 10:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Brisben
I used to work in Columbus and whilst I cannot answer your questions, there is plenty or work there.
As far as I saw most of it was nice and liveable, although had it's rough areas too.

Good luck!
Plenty of work tell that to my OH who was born here and just came out of the US Navy, the rest of his family will tell you that there wages have stayed the same for year's or even gone down and yes your right there are plenty of rough areas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.