texas

Old Sep 16th 2004, 2:21 am
Just Joined

karenpolenz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default texas

Just as a matter of intrest how many other expats are living in texas?

Has any of you been lucky enough to hear other english accent?

Has any of you been asked when you are from, and when you say ie the uk
they look stuned and reply Oh I thought you might be from the england or london..
Old Sep 16th 2004, 2:34 am
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: texas

Originally Posted by karenpolenz

they look stuned and reply Oh I thought you might be from the england or london..
If you go to the Lounge (another British Expat forum) you will find several people posting from Texas, notably Leslie66 (who I believe is not British) and Brit'n'Tex (who is British). There are a few others that I know of, but haven't seen them posting on here in a while. But anyway, welcome to the forum!

Debbie
Old Sep 16th 2004, 6:10 pm
Brit'n'TX

Originally Posted by karenpolenz

I worked in Austin fo a year and one of the other guys was also English - in fact we lived about 60 miles apart over there!

Now I'm away from the big city, I'm a bit of a novelty - people getting you to talk just for the sake of hearing you can get a bit tiring!

Old Sep 16th 2004, 6:58 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brit'n'TX
Now I'm away from the big city, I'm a bit of a novelty - people getting you to talk just for the sake of hearing you can get a bit tiring!
Nah i love being different cos of my cool accent! that's what's such a bummer about being in the city lol certainly not a novelty in houston and i've met Brits mostly english tho or Scotish that's because their hubbies are Engineers and all the British engineers seem to be down here in the Gulf!
In my 8 yrs here tho i've never met another Welsh person and i often get mistaken for being an Aussie!! unfortunatley my friends back in U.k say i sound american eeek! so it really is time to go back and polish up on my beautiful N.Wales accent
Old Sep 16th 2004, 7:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The novelty accent is great, well up in maine, been given loads of free cookies because I'm foreign...scary people sometimes, but hey, free food
Old Sep 16th 2004, 7:15 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
The novelty accent is great, well up in maine, been given loads of free cookies because I'm foreign...scary people sometimes, but hey, free food
FREE COOKIES!!!! Heck i've been ripped off i've not so much as sniffed a free cookie!
Old Sep 16th 2004, 7:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
FREE COOKIES!!!! Heck i've been ripped off i've not so much as sniffed a free cookie!
Unlucky mate...yeah I just say"oooh...never seen one of them before" with ma poncy english accent and they love it *l*
kinda scares me at times
Old Sep 17th 2004, 12:19 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'm one of the Brit Engineers who is not down in the Gulf.

We've met a few Brits here in North Dallas (Plano), but my BBC-English accent is still enough of a novelty that people ask me to say random stuff to hear how I say it. Not enough of a novelty to get free cookies though!

When we'd been here about a week a colleague took us to a small-town BBQ restaurant where the family at the next table kept staring at us whenever we spoke. After a few minutes they talked to the waitress, who came over and told us that they wanted to know if we knew Ozzy Osbourne since we were from England
Old Sep 17th 2004, 12:22 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by dbj1000
We've met a few Brits here in North Dallas (Plano), but my BBC-English accent is still enough of a novelty that people ask me to say random stuff to hear how I say it. Not enough of a novelty to get free cookies though!
I think maine's just one of those weird "special" places They don't get out much...
When we'd been here about a week a colleague took us to a small-town BBQ restaurant where the family at the next table kept staring at us whenever we spoke. After a few minutes they talked to the waitress, who came over and told us that they wanted to know if we knew Ozzy Osbourne since we were from England
Now that's priceless
Old Sep 17th 2004, 12:35 am
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'm one of the Brit Engineers who is not down in the Gulf.
Hey, here's another one!

I most frequently get asked if I'm Irish, most recently from "Gavin" in Dell's Indian call center.

There is a sizeable British contingent in Fort Worth working on the new Joint Strike Fighter so we hear Brit accents frequently around town. There are quite a few cars with GB stickers on them too - we have one and I sometimes wonder if some people think we're supporting Dubya?

I find it amusing the way that Texans ask "where are you from" in a most accusatorial manner. I'm surprised that not too many folk try to imitate my Scots accent when they find out.
Old Sep 17th 2004, 1:22 am
Just Joined

karenpolenz is an unknown quantity at this point

Brit'n'tx

I worked in Austin for a few mth temping sad to say I was the only one Who talked english. Now I work in San Antonio which is a nice 62 mile drive each way for me. The good thing is I now almost feel safe driving on the freeway..

Celtic_Angle

Which part of Wales are you from,,,, I lived in Llanytwit Major for number of years, which is also where I learned Bobbin Lace.
Old Sep 17th 2004, 1:39 am
Back Again

they wanted to know if we knew Ozzy Osbourne since we were from England
You tookthe words outta my mouth Rob!! this is definitly priceless lmao

I remember years ago ,once they found out I was from Wales somebody asked me if i knew Charles and Diana! hilarious !
(I was in the Ozarks now lol)
Old Sep 17th 2004, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
Nah i love being different cos of my cool accent! that's what's such a bummer about being in the city lol certainly not a novelty in houston and i've met Brits mostly english tho or Scotish that's because their hubbies are Engineers and all the British engineers seem to be down here in the Gulf!
In my 8 yrs here tho i've never met another Welsh person and i often get mistaken for being an Aussie!! unfortunatley my friends back in U.k say i sound american eeek! so it really is time to go back and polish up on my beautiful N.Wales accent
There are a few of us here in DFW, I'm in Garland, I think Yosser is in Rowlett, Scarlett is in Dallas, Whatever moved to Plano didn't she?

Celtic, my hubby got a Welsh friend he used to work with in England a job at the company he is at now, so consequently we get to listen to Welsh people all the time
Old Sep 17th 2004, 4:04 am
sas
Forum Regular

sas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nice
Talking Re: texas

I'm in Houston and work with another Scotsman and 2 english guys (out of 10 people!!). Nearly all the companies I deal with have at least 1 or 2 brits.
Old Sep 17th 2004, 2:03 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snorkmaiden
There are a few of us here in DFW, I'm in Garland, I think Yosser is in Rowlett, Scarlett is in Dallas, Whatever moved to Plano didn't she?

Celtic, my hubby got a Welsh friend he used to work with in England a job at the company he is at now, so consequently we get to listen to Welsh people all the time
Yep. I'm in Rowlett, Hey Snorky have you heard anything from Mrs Whatever?

I know she posted on here one time, but that was months ago! I hope everything is allright?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.