Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

'Support our troops' car ribbons

'Support our troops' car ribbons

Old Jan 14th 2005, 4:27 pm

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'Support our troops' car ribbons

Originally Posted by doctor scrumpy
Your response explains it all too.

I doubt many of the poor bastards being shot at understand why they are there in this war anymore than any other war. They just know the politicians decide and they have to clear up the shit. As with the disgrace of the Black Watch being sent to Baghdad, it is all the whims of a few in the White House that decide the fate of millions of lives.
That would be a totally different thread than this
Old Jan 14th 2005, 4:28 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robskatie
Ahhh to be so narrow minded, aren't you lucky
Oh dear...
Old Jan 14th 2005, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Perhaps, but I wouldn't be telling that to the spouse or parent of someone serving there.
Having been a "troop over there" last year, I've just left the (Brit) Army to come and live in the States and whilst it is nice for people to show their support, I will not be sticking one of those bloody ribbons on my car, because I think they look daft.

As far as whether the war is/was a good idea or not - in my opionion, (having been affected by it all) all I can say is I wish we had pumped all that money into going after the real threat (Osama) instead of a bully boy dictator who really didn't have anything to do with terror (outside of terrorising his own people). If we had stuck with Afghanistan, bolstered up the forces/effort there, I think we in the West would be far safer and would've seen some good results by now, knocking down Osama's band of merry men instead of creating a new terrorist hotbed. That said it isnt the military peoples fault who now have to try make sense of the mess that Dubbya has made. Support them I do, just not with a ribbon that makes your car look silly
Old Jan 14th 2005, 4:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Bit of a heated topic this ain't it
Well the idea of a ribbon ain't a bad one, just a shame that it's mostly a scam and the money isn't going to military families, I personally think it's much better to just donate phonecards that you can get at the post office myself...
Old Jan 14th 2005, 4:33 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
<<snip>> Support them I do, just not with a ribbon that makes your car look silly
Americans revel in treating their vehicles as blank canvases. Have you noticed the habit of putting bumper stickers on the back of vehicles? You'll find all sorts of crap stuck on the windows too!

NC Penguin
Old Jan 14th 2005, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
...I personally think it's much better to just donate phonecards that you can get at the post office myself...
But then no-one would know that you supported the troops.
Old Jan 14th 2005, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DCMark
How can they be proud of invading Iraq? Iraq is NOT liberated, its 100x (10000x) more dangerous now than it was before the war. The average person's life is horrible.

Admitting the war was a horrible mistake actually shows real respect to the troops who died, rather than propagandic slogans.
Correct with the first comment,

Don't agree with the second one, it would only serve to demoralise the troops over there thrying to sort out the problem. Most people know it, but it'll never be admitted.
Old Jan 14th 2005, 4:36 pm

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
Having been a "troop over there" last year, I've just left the (Brit) Army to come and live in the States and whilst it is nice for people to show their support, I will not be sticking one of those bloody ribbons on my car, because I think they look daft.

As far as whether the war is/was a good idea or not - in my opionion, (having been affected by it all) all I can say is I wish we had pumped all that money into going after the real threat (Osama) instead of a bully boy dictator who really didn't have anything to do with terror (outside of terrorising his own people). If we had stuck with Afghanistan, bolstered up the forces/effort there, I think we in the West would be far safer and would've seen some good results by now, knocking down Osama's band of merry men instead of creating a new terrorist hotbed. That said it isnt the military peoples fault who now have to try make sense of the mess that Dubbya has made. Support them I do, just not with a ribbon that makes your car look silly
Karma for you then
Old Jan 14th 2005, 4:36 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CalgaryAMC
Ah, that's called altruism in my book. Who else needs to know? Just doing the action and contributing freely to help others is fine....

NC Penguin
Old Jan 14th 2005, 4:37 pm

The troops will......? Who else needs to know?

Last edited by robskatie; Jan 14th 2005 at 4:42 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2005, 4:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

But who cares, the families of troops would know that that people cared, and they would directly benefit wouldn't they...
Old Jan 14th 2005, 4:41 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robskatie
Karma for you then
You really do seem to have a black and white view of the world: you're either with us or against us!

(However, I agree it was a good post!)
Old Jan 14th 2005, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
But who cares, the families of troops would know that that people cared, and they would directly benefit wouldn't they...
A real, tangible benefit that comes with nothing to display to the world? What use is that! Give me a big yellow sticker any day.
Old Jan 14th 2005, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit
You really do seem to have a black and white view of the world: you're either with us or against us!

(However, I agree it was a good post!)
Not really, but I do think that any person that will lay their life on the line deserves support, I know I wouldn't do it. Yep, good post it is, shame monk isn't online, she would have given you some good views!
Old Jan 14th 2005, 4:45 pm
Restless soul

Happiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by SarahUK
It seems every single car in Pennsylvania has one of these magnetic ribbons on the back of them. If its not 'Support Our Troops' then its the 'POW MIA'
or pink breast cancer ones or 'God Bless the USA'.
Someone somewhere has come up with a brilliant idea and is now laughing all the way to the bank. None of these 'support our troops' etc magnets actually go towards any kind of charity to support the troops, all they're doing is lining the pockets of predominantly Walmart, and where ever else they are sold. Wouldn't it be a bit more supportive to give the $2 or however much they cost to war vets charities and the like?

Ahhh...poor soldiers, my heart bleeds. Honest...rather give my money to the red cross.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.