Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

'Support our troops' car ribbons

Wikiposts

'Support our troops' car ribbons

Old Jan 14th 2005, 4:05 am
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice
Default Re: 'Support our troops' car ribbons

Originally Posted by DCMark
Read the paper, look at what is happening there. Even try some alternate news sources. Educate yourself. Don't believe what is shoved down your throats. Its a disaster there, the biggest mistake of a generation and it will kill many more of us and take lots of 'treasure'.

You raise an interesting point. What orders are illegitimate? The Nurernburg trials proved that soldiers must NOT follow illegal orders. A few brave souls decided to not fight in Iraq and they are probably in jail.

Where else do we have troops deployed that are really protecting us and not futhering US imperialism?

Honestly, I feel sorry for the troops, most of which entered the military based on their socio-economic situation and a wrong sense of nationalism. Support them? No more (and probably less) than I support teachers, firemen, etc.
I take it you won't be buying a bumper sticker then?
Old Jan 14th 2005, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

DCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really nice

Originally Posted by CalgaryAMC
I take it you won't be buying a bumper sticker then?
Where would I put it, I don't drive a car!
Old Jan 14th 2005, 4:08 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robskatie
Well I suppose that you must know so much more about this than I, my husband was a military member before the war on Iraq, do you think he could just turn around and say " oh sorry Mr President, don't fancy going to Iraq today, could I please stay at home" get real. The stickers we are talking about are to support the troops over there, not to support a war, while I do not support a war, I do most certainly support my husband and friends spouses who have no choice in this matter. Troops are deployed in many other places not just Iraq, but I assume you know all about that also, do we not support these men and women? You must be a very harsh person to not do so.
It must be a very worrying situation for you with your husband over there and, before you posted the "liberation" twaddle, I was staying well out of this post.

Do I support the troops, you ask. And the answer to that is I do not understand the question. It's not a football match!
Old Jan 14th 2005, 4:09 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Never mind his pinko views on US troops invading anywhere, the fact that he does not own a car makes him a dangerous subversive who should be fried then deported !!!
Old Jan 14th 2005, 4:10 am

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute

Read the paper, look at what is happening there. Even try some alternate news sources. Educate yourself. Don't believe what is shoved down your throats. Its a disaster there, the biggest mistake of a generation and it will kill many more of us and take lots of 'treasure'.

I am educated enough to not believe what is shoved down my throat, I am not saying I support a war, but a person or people in a bad situation

You raise an interesting point. What orders are illegitimate? The Nurernburg trials proved that soldiers must NOT follow illegal orders. A few brave souls decided to not fight in Iraq and they are probably in jail.

Exactly, which is why they need support

Where else do we have troops deployed that are really protecting us and not futhering US imperialism?

Afganistan

Honestly, I feel sorry for the troops, most of which entered the military based on their socio-economic situation and a wrong sense of nationalism. Support them? No more (and probably less) than I support teachers, firemen, etc.

As I would also support these people, so do I support friends who are troops
Old Jan 14th 2005, 4:13 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Do I support the troops, you ask. And the answer to that is I do not understand the question. It's not a football match!

I guess we support them economically through the taxes we pay.
Old Jan 14th 2005, 4:14 am

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute

It must be a very worrying situation for you with your husband over there and, before you posted the "liberation" twaddle, I was staying well out of this post.

As the previous posts state, my husband is not over there at present. You do not understand the question? That says is all
Old Jan 14th 2005, 4:16 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Let me say that I don't have a bumper sticker either. It's not how I choose to show support. It is not because I don't support the armed forces, I do. I also support anyone who is willing to lay their life on the line for mine, be it police, or fireman etc.
Whether what this thread is based on is a just cause is not up for debate. We're talking people, not policy.
Old Jan 14th 2005, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

DCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really nice

As the previous posts state, my husband is not over there at present. You do not understand the question? That says is all
Then explain it to us who don't understand. What exactly does 'support our troops' mean in the context of a democratic society? What support do they want above and beyond what other public servants deserve?

How does a silly slogan, made in China, on a car (often an SUV, can we say Irony?) provide any real support to anyone?

Please explain to me, I really want to understand!
Old Jan 14th 2005, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Let me say that I don't have a bumper sticker either. It's not how I choose to show support. It is not because I don't support the armed forces, I do. I also support anyone who is willing to lay their life on the line for mine, be it police, or fireman etc.
Whether what this thread is based on is a just cause is not up for debate. We're talking people, not policy.
Hurray, this is the point I was trying to make, thank you again Cindy
Old Jan 14th 2005, 4:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Your response explains it all too.

I doubt many of the poor bastards being shot at understand why they are there in this war anymore than any other war. They just know the politicians decide and they have to clear up the shit. As with the disgrace of the Black Watch being sent to Baghdad, it is all the whims of a few in the White House that decide the fate of millions of lives.
Old Jan 14th 2005, 4:21 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Not at all! It rather shows that you have very little understanding of the matter in hand apart from an emotional attachment to somebody who plays a very, very small part in it.

Try to get yourself educated a little. And stop watching Fox News please!
Old Jan 14th 2005, 4:23 am

Then explain it to us who don't understand. What exactly does 'support our troops' mean in the context of a democratic society? What support do they want above and beyond what other public servants deserve?

How does a silly slogan, made in China, on a car (often an SUV, can we say Irony?) provide any real support to anyone?

Read the post from Cindyabs, this is the point I was trying to make, I also do not have a sticker, but support them in other ways, keeping in touch with their family members is hard, I buy calling cards to donate, stamps, sending packages of moral boosting stuff, much the same as you would for anyone who was in a situation that was hard for them.
Old Jan 14th 2005, 4:25 am

Not at all! It rather shows that you have very little understanding of the matter in hand apart from an emotional attachment to somebody who plays a very, very small part in it.

Try to get yourself educated a little. And stop watching Fox News please!

Ahhh to be so narrow minded, aren't you lucky
Old Jan 14th 2005, 4:26 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Let me relay an incident to you from the Viet Nam era. Supporting our troops would probably NOT involve yelling "bald headed baby killer"as some people did when my then 19 yr old ex husband as a ROTC cadet marched by in a parade in Missouri......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.