Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Superbowl party @ mine

Superbowl party @ mine

Old Jan 31st 2007, 5:59 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Superbowl party @ mine

Originally Posted by ironporer
Ditto for Grossman...though having grown up a Bears fan in IN back when the Colts were in Baltamore I must say I am torn...as I like both teams. I really do thing that IF Urlacher and the Bears defence knock Peyton for a loop or too early and get under his skin, they will win- if the offence decides to show up. The other hald of me wants to see Manning get the monkey off his back and have a great game (or just not choke as he is prone to do historically).
the funny things is - all the stuff people said last season about putting him under pressure is no longer true, he seems to be able to stay in the pocket longer and still make the plays

also, this season their rush defense had had a lot of flak, but the last three games they have virtually shut the run out (although the patriots didn't do too badly)
Old Jan 31st 2007, 11:49 pm
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

I've really got into American football over the last couple of years. It's going to be a long 7 months to wait for the new season. My wife's quite grateful though, she likes the US short seasons. She could never get her head around the fact that the UK football season lasts 10 months. Except in WC/EC years. Then it never stops.....
Old Feb 1st 2007, 5:29 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveC
I've really got into American football over the last couple of years. It's going to be a long 7 months to wait for the new season. My wife's quite grateful though, she likes the US short seasons. She could never get her head around the fact that the UK football season lasts 10 months. Except in WC/EC years. Then it never stops.....
I live 5 mins from our local NFL stadium and the wife is from knoxville where everyone is a nutty UT fan - I had no choice but to assimilate - now I'm actually getting quite annoyed that its so long to the start of the new season! theres really not a lot wrong with tailgating - lots of booze, chips and dips and a variety of grilled/bbq'd meats...
Old Feb 1st 2007, 2:38 pm
Banned

Reverend is a glorious beacon of lightReverend is a glorious beacon of lightReverend is a glorious beacon of lightReverend is a glorious beacon of lightReverend is a glorious beacon of lightReverend is a glorious beacon of lightReverend is a glorious beacon of lightReverend is a glorious beacon of lightReverend is a glorious beacon of lightReverend is a glorious beacon of lightReverend is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by texas_ranger
Howdy y'all,
For those of you in the DFW/outlying areas (and those in the vicinity on Sun 4th Feb), I'll be having a superbowl party.
If anyone would like to drop by, send me a PM and I'll forward the details.

And for all you sceptics thinking that I just got to the US and now I'm having a superbowl party and jumping on the yank sports wagon - I've been watching the Superbowl for 21 years (thanks Channel4!).

Cheers,
C

p.s. in the absence of America's team, I'll support the Colts.
Even if you did jump on the "yanks sports wagon", I wouldn't see that as a bad thing. I think part of the problem with America's identity right now is the attitude of immigrants not wanting to assimilate. I think everyone should make an effort to get into the whole "hotdogs and baseball" American way of life...afterall, isn't that why we all moved?

I think it's important to keep your own indentity intact, and bring your own customs and traditions (just as the Italian and Irish immigrants did) - but it's equally important to introduce American ways into your world.

That's basically why the current wave of Mexican immigrants, who refuse to learn English and wave the Mexican flag on their houses etc, are facing such hostility from a large portion of American society. Similarly, the Kosovans and other refugees living in the UK who refuse to wear western clothing and demand mosques. You wouldn't visit a friend's house and demand they cook your favorite food for dinner and watch your shows on their TV...you'd be shown the door immediately.

Last edited by Reverend; Feb 1st 2007 at 2:41 pm.