Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Student Visa

Student Visa

Old Feb 21st 2009, 6:00 pm
=]

Robw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really nice
Smile Student Visa

Hi, I would like to know a bit about the Student Visa.

Thanks!
Old Feb 21st 2009, 6:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

yorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Student Visa

What specifically about it?

What to you want to study? Where do you want to study? Do you have sufficient funds?

Maybe you should look at google 'F1 student visa' first.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1268.html

Outlines the F1 visa.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 6:45 pm
=]

Robw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really nice

Originally Posted by yorkieuk
What specifically about it?

What to you want to study? Where do you want to study? Do you have sufficient funds?

Maybe you should look at google 'F1 student visa' first.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1268.html

Outlines the F1 visa.
1) I haven't decided on a course quite yet.
2) I am thinking about Florida.
3) I am working for several years to save up for it.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

yorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to behold

Are you thinking about going there for 4 years for an undergraduate degree?

You do know that a student visa isn't a direct route to a green card don't you and that there is a strong possibility you will have to return to the UK and will have wasted so much money getting a BA that you could get in the UK at a fraction of the cost.

Also I don't know if you are aware of the work restrictions placed on student visas. I.e you are very limited in working while you are studying and are mostly restricted to working certain hours and you have to work on campus.

Why don't you just go to uni in the UK but find a program that offers a year spent in the US. Hundreds of courses offer this where you go in the 2nd year of your studies. I had many friends that do it. It means you still end up with a degree and you get to spend a year in Uni in the US, you will also find that the cost of that year is lower than the amount you have to pay per year to go to uni in the US normally. My friends were able to pay for it as there student loan was increased for that year.

So why don't you just find a Uni in the UK that has exchange programs with a Florida school?
Old Feb 21st 2009, 7:04 pm
=]

Are you thinking about going there for 4 years for an undergraduate degree?

You do know that a student visa isn't a direct route to a green card don't you and that there is a strong possibility you will have to return to the UK and will have wasted so much money getting a BA that you could get in the UK at a fraction of the cost.

Also I don't know if you are aware of the work restrictions placed on student visas. I.e you are very limited in working while you are studying and are mostly restricted to working certain hours and you have to work on campus.

Why don't you just go to uni in the UK but find a program that offers a year spent in the US. Hundreds of courses offer this where you go in the 2nd year of your studies. I had many friends that do it. It means you still end up with a degree and you get to spend a year in Uni in the US, you will also find that the cost of that year is lower than the amount you have to pay per year to go to uni in the US normally. My friends were able to pay for it as there student loan was increased for that year.

So why don't you just find a Uni in the UK that has exchange programs with a Florida school?
Thanks for that, there was some very useful information in there. I know you said that there was a high possibility that I would have to return to the UK but is there a way that I could actually stay?
Old Feb 21st 2009, 7:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Robw4
Thanks for that, there was some very useful information in there. I know you said that there was a high possibility that I would have to return to the UK but is there a way that I could actually stay?
Find an American girlfriend while you are there and marry her.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 7:42 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

This answer reminds me of something overheard at a local movie theatre.
A man, appearing to be in his 60s, is in line to buy tickets with a woman who appears to be at least two decades younger.

When they approach the ticket counter, the man, recognizing that senior citizens get a discount, says, "One senior and one trophy wife."

Annoyed, the wife says, "That's not funny anymore. Please stop saying that to people."

They grab their tickets and head upstairs to see a film.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 7:44 pm
=]

Oh ok, thanks for the help anyway
Old Feb 21st 2009, 8:11 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

1) I haven't decided on a course quite yet.
2) I am thinking about Florida.
It is very difficult to study as an undergraduate in the US unless you have a lot of money. Much easier and cheaper to study in the UK, and as suggested, go to a US university on exchange. Who knows, you may not even like the US higher education system...

If you enoy your exchange to the US, you could consider doing a graduate (postgrad) degree in the US. This is easier (more funding available, via assistantships, etc.)
Old Feb 21st 2009, 8:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully you're putting away at least a grand a month (in pounds). that way in 3-5 years you should have enough or close to it. However, if I were at a job that allowed me to put that much away I wouldn't bother with going to the US for a degree!
Old Feb 21st 2009, 8:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
This answer reminds me of something overheard at a local movie theatre.
A man, appearing to be in his 60s, is in line to buy tickets with a woman who appears to be at least two decades younger.

When they approach the ticket counter, the man, recognizing that senior citizens get a discount, says, "One senior and one trophy wife."

Annoyed, the wife says, "That's not funny anymore. Please stop saying that to people."

They grab their tickets and head upstairs to see a film.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 9:09 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 176x220))

Hi, I would like to know a bit about the Student Visa.

Thanks!
well it usually has your picture on it and some writing.
it's usually stapled into your passport
Old Feb 21st 2009, 10:17 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 176x220))

well it usually has your picture on it and some writing.
it's usually stapled into your passport
Actually it's not stapled it's just like a big sticker they put in there.