British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Student Visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/student-visa-593020/)

Robw4 Feb 21st 2009 6:00 pm

Student Visa

Hi, I would like to know a bit about the Student Visa.

Thanks! :)

yorkieuk Feb 21st 2009 6:26 pm

Re: Student Visa

What specifically about it?

What to you want to study? Where do you want to study? Do you have sufficient funds?

Maybe you should look at google 'F1 student visa' first.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1268.html

Outlines the F1 visa.

Robw4 Feb 21st 2009 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by yorkieuk (Post 7308324)
What specifically about it?

What to you want to study? Where do you want to study? Do you have sufficient funds?

Maybe you should look at google 'F1 student visa' first.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1268.html

Outlines the F1 visa.

1) I haven't decided on a course quite yet.
2) I am thinking about Florida.
3) I am working for several years to save up for it.

yorkieuk Feb 21st 2009 6:54 pm

Are you thinking about going there for 4 years for an undergraduate degree?

You do know that a student visa isn't a direct route to a green card don't you and that there is a strong possibility you will have to return to the UK and will have wasted so much money getting a BA that you could get in the UK at a fraction of the cost.

Also I don't know if you are aware of the work restrictions placed on student visas. I.e you are very limited in working while you are studying and are mostly restricted to working certain hours and you have to work on campus.

Why don't you just go to uni in the UK but find a program that offers a year spent in the US. Hundreds of courses offer this where you go in the 2nd year of your studies. I had many friends that do it. It means you still end up with a degree and you get to spend a year in Uni in the US, you will also find that the cost of that year is lower than the amount you have to pay per year to go to uni in the US normally. My friends were able to pay for it as there student loan was increased for that year.

So why don't you just find a Uni in the UK that has exchange programs with a Florida school?

Robw4 Feb 21st 2009 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by yorkieuk (Post 7308416)
Are you thinking about going there for 4 years for an undergraduate degree?

You do know that a student visa isn't a direct route to a green card don't you and that there is a strong possibility you will have to return to the UK and will have wasted so much money getting a BA that you could get in the UK at a fraction of the cost.

Also I don't know if you are aware of the work restrictions placed on student visas. I.e you are very limited in working while you are studying and are mostly restricted to working certain hours and you have to work on campus.

Why don't you just go to uni in the UK but find a program that offers a year spent in the US. Hundreds of courses offer this where you go in the 2nd year of your studies. I had many friends that do it. It means you still end up with a degree and you get to spend a year in Uni in the US, you will also find that the cost of that year is lower than the amount you have to pay per year to go to uni in the US normally. My friends were able to pay for it as there student loan was increased for that year.

So why don't you just find a Uni in the UK that has exchange programs with a Florida school?

Thanks for that, there was some very useful information in there. I know you said that there was a high possibility that I would have to return to the UK but is there a way that I could actually stay?

yorkieuk Feb 21st 2009 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by Robw4 (Post 7308436)
Thanks for that, there was some very useful information in there. I know you said that there was a high possibility that I would have to return to the UK but is there a way that I could actually stay?

Find an American girlfriend while you are there and marry her.

meauxna Feb 21st 2009 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by yorkieuk (Post 7308442)

This answer reminds me of something overheard at a local movie theatre.
A man, appearing to be in his 60s, is in line to buy tickets with a woman who appears to be at least two decades younger.

When they approach the ticket counter, the man, recognizing that senior citizens get a discount, says, "One senior and one trophy wife."

Annoyed, the wife says, "That's not funny anymore. Please stop saying that to people."

They grab their tickets and head upstairs to see a film.

Robw4 Feb 21st 2009 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by yorkieuk (Post 7308442)

Oh ok, thanks for the help anyway :thumbsup:

dunroving Feb 21st 2009 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by Robw4 (Post 7308386)
1) I haven't decided on a course quite yet.
2) I am thinking about Florida.

It is very difficult to study as an undergraduate in the US unless you have a lot of money. Much easier and cheaper to study in the UK, and as suggested, go to a US university on exchange. Who knows, you may not even like the US higher education system...

If you enoy your exchange to the US, you could consider doing a graduate (postgrad) degree in the US. This is easier (more funding available, via assistantships, etc.)

Duncan Roberts Feb 21st 2009 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by Robw4 (Post 7308386)

Hopefully you're putting away at least a grand a month (in pounds). that way in 3-5 years you should have enough or close to it. However, if I were at a job that allowed me to put that much away I wouldn't bother with going to the US for a degree!

Jerseygirl Feb 21st 2009 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 7308527)
This answer reminds me of something overheard at a local movie theatre.
A man, appearing to be in his 60s, is in line to buy tickets with a woman who appears to be at least two decades younger.

When they approach the ticket counter, the man, recognizing that senior citizens get a discount, says, "One senior and one trophy wife."

Annoyed, the wife says, "That's not funny anymore. Please stop saying that to people."

They grab their tickets and head upstairs to see a film.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Manc Feb 21st 2009 9:09 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 176x220))

Originally Posted by Robw4
Hi, I would like to know a bit about the Student Visa.

Thanks! :)

well it usually has your picture on it and some writing.
it's usually stapled into your passport

zargof Feb 21st 2009 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by Manc (Post 7308743)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 176x220))

well it usually has your picture on it and some writing.
it's usually stapled into your passport

Actually it's not stapled it's just like a big sticker they put in there.