Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A stranger videoing my daughter at the pool

A stranger videoing my daughter at the pool

Old Aug 18th 2008, 3:05 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A stranger videoing my daughter at the pool

Originally Posted by LadyBelle
His picture should be shared in various places. Get it up on some websites where possible -- or email it out to friends/neighbors/area schools to have them in the know, just in case. I don't know that you can add all of his details to it; that could be illegal. But as a parent, I'd want to know his face, just in case I see him doing the same again.
Posting someones pic with any suggestion that he is a pedophile.
without any conviction for same .....

His lawyer will think christmas has arrived ....
Old Aug 18th 2008, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

LadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ray

Indeed. So where legally possible and without the added Christmas-inducing details.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 3:10 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray

Agreed. I would not wish to be on the wrong end of a libel and defamation suit.

That being said, there are ways that this could be publicized, but one has to be watchful of that line. This is a situation in which careful parsing comes in handy. A description of the facts, along with some expression about concerns about possible motives, could get the point across without creating any grounds for a case.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 3:57 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LadyBelle
Indeed. So where legally possible and without the added Christmas-inducing details.
To my mind nowhere..would be safe
I'm sure even this site would not allow it ...I certainly would not on mine ..
Old Aug 18th 2008, 4:25 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Good advice, Ray.

As well intentioned as the other posters' advice is, I feel no-one has asked the really important question?

Was she hot?

\ Officer! I swear I didn't know she was three!
Old Aug 18th 2008, 5:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Good advice, Ray.

Was she hot?

\ Officer! I swear I didn't know she was three!
Truly inappropriate in this type of thread. Do you have kids of your own? If so, and this happened to you, would you want someone joking about such a serious problem. Really, you need to need to learn what is socially acceptable here.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 5:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Tracym
Did the camera equipment look professional?

Has anyone considered the idea that he IS what he said he is?

I still wouldn't have liked it, but like others have said - I suspect it is perfectly legal in a public place.
It doesnt really matter tracy. What happened, although perhaps not illegal in the states, is truly socially unacceptable. If the fellow was legit, and had nothing to hide, he should have approached the parents, and explained his situation and asked their permission.

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
I would suggest that you also complain to the pool management. If it is private property, they have every right to post prohibitions against photography without consent, something that they should do, anyway. At the very least, it would give them the ability to evict such users of the pool, and he would have little if any recourse to stop them from removing him or his equipment.
Very good point to inform the management of the pool so they are made aware of the situation. I dont know what type of liability they may have.

Agreed. I would not wish to be on the wrong end of a libel and defamation suit.

That being said, there are ways that this could be publicized, but one has to be watchful of that line. This is a situation in which careful parsing comes in handy. A description of the facts, along with some expression about concerns about possible motives, could get the point across without creating any grounds for a case.

There would be no reason why she couldnt flyer the place (not with his pic) but with a description and what happened. As a parent I would certainly want to know.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 5:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OP - could we have an update please and also how you and hubby are coping? Also, why cant you upload the pic and give to the police before you return to the UK?

Dont let this ruin your vacation, there are so many wonderful people out there, you just came in contact with a weirdo.....

Last edited by willmore; Aug 18th 2008 at 6:01 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 6:09 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willmore
There would be no reason why she couldnt flyer the place (not with his pic) but with a description and what happened. As a parent I would certainly want to know.
I doubt that the management would allow that, nor would they be required to. Still, pressure can be brought to bear in order to influence their decision making. With the right amount of shouting directed at the right people, there could easily be a no-photography-without-consent rule and the staff could be directed to enforce it.

Again, I would encourage the OP to look at the various Megan's Law databases to see whether the guy looks familiar. It may not be a crime for the average person to use a camera in these circumstances, but a convicted pedophile would probably get into trouble over it.

Last edited by RoadWarriorFromLP; Aug 18th 2008 at 6:11 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 6:10 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Truly inappropriate in this type of thread. Do you have kids of your own? If so, and this happened to you, would you want someone joking about such a serious problem. Really, you need to need to learn what is socially acceptable here.
Oh, take the stick out of your ass, willmore. There's humor in everything.
Who has been harmed here?
And, yes, I have a seven year old.

And next time, perhaps the OP wont be British and "not wanting to cause a scene".
BTW, my sister was "flashed" when she was about the same age. My dad went out and caught the perp. Beat the stuffing out of him.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 6:22 pm
Peace onion

OP - could we have an update please and also how you and hubby are coping? Also, why cant you upload the pic and give to the police before you return to the UK?

Dont let this ruin your vacation, there are so many wonderful people out there, you just came in contact with a weirdo.....
How are they coping?... Are you kidding me? Coping with what?
One copes with the loss of a family member or friend, or an illness, or an assault or traumatic invasion.

Some person who or may not be a paedo may or may not have bad quality
pictures of a clothed child. Is the child aware? No. Just be more careful - and more proactive - in the future.

What good does liberal hand-wringing do, other than to wallow in a pity-party where none is warranted.
People like you have enabled the pussification of the UK, with your "Please, think of the children!/If it saves just one life" hysterics. You know what? Screw the kids. The kids are just fine.

As for being socially acceptable - who appointed you as the arbiter of what is and isn't socially acceptable.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 8:54 pm
Bloody Yank

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
How are they coping?... Are you kidding me? Coping with what?
One copes with the loss of a family member or friend, or an illness, or an assault or traumatic invasion.

Some person who or may not be a paedo may or may not have bad quality
pictures of a clothed child. Is the child aware? No. Just be more careful - and more proactive - in the future.

What good does liberal hand-wringing do, other than to wallow in a pity-party where none is warranted.
People like you have enabled the pussification of the UK, with your "Please, think of the children!/If it saves just one life" hysterics. You know what? Screw the kids. The kids are just fine.

As for being socially acceptable - who appointed you as the arbiter of what is and isn't socially acceptable.
I'm just impressed that you managed to use the keyboard from in here:

Suggestion: In cases like this, additional shoveling won't do any good.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 9:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.ourastrogallery.com/siteb...ed.website.jpg

Old Aug 18th 2008, 9:07 pm
Peace onion

http://www.ourastrogallery.com/siteb...ed.website.jpg

Hell, I'll call in a JCB. I find the cheapening of real child abuse far more offensive.
This one goes out to you, willmore:

Old Aug 18th 2008, 9:13 pm
Peace onion

AmerLisa, I'm not in a hole in my view. I'm proud of my posts and stand by them.

Get some perspective, for heaven's sake. I'm just saying what needs to be said.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.