Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Stop Foreclosure now!

Wikiposts

Stop Foreclosure now!

Old Aug 12th 2008, 12:58 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stop Foreclosure now!

Originally Posted by ugacrew
I figured there was guru behind you somewhere. I mean you can't be that brill by yourself.

(Suze Orman's my gal)
naaah he's a bit too christian "save money so you can tythe" for my liking.......
Old Aug 12th 2008, 1:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jetlag
Non sequiter, how? Both mugging and usury are illegal, last time I checked. Ah yes, that's right. in the 80s, the US government allowed banks to sidestep usury laws. How convenient.
Most subprime borrowers have defaulted when their mortgage rates have increased less than 5%. And guess what? Even borrowers who have worked out a deal with their lenders to reduce their interest rate and/or principal are now defaulting in large numbers. Quite simply, too many people bought far more house than they could afford. Nothing to do with usuary in the vast majority of cases.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 1:11 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
naaah he's a bit too christian "save money so you can tythe" for my liking.......
I guess that would be a fair assessment of his values. There's this huge billboard in KC that has his mug on it. Location, location, location.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 1:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Most subprime borrowers have defaulted when their mortgage rates have increased less than 5%. And guess what? Even borrowers who have worked out a deal with their lenders to reduce their interest rate and/or principal are now defaulting in large numbers. Quite simply, too many people bought far more house than they could afford. Nothing to do with usuary in the vast majority of cases.
True. It's scary what they would approve you for a few years ago, but you have to crunch the numbers and realize ... they may approve me for that, but I can't afford that! Part of our loan had a variable rate when we bought this house (recently refinanced) and we cranked it to as high as it had gone in the past 50 years or so and asked ourselves, if the worse happened, could we still pay? We gulped and decided that wouldn't be fun, but yes we could.

Obviously if you lose your job for an extended period of time that can be very different. But I agree that too many overextended themselves.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 1:36 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

I worked for a company like Welcome Wagon many years ago, and it was interesting to go into these (at the time) McMansions where there was no furniture. Why? Because the people had spent all their money on their house and had no money left to furnish it.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 1:41 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
I worked for a company like Welcome Wagon many years ago, and it was interesting to go into these (at the time) McMansions where there was no furniture. Why? Because the people had spent all their money on their house and had no money left to furnish it.
you're ignorant cindy.
there is a sub prime crunch dont'cha know.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 1:49 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

you're ignorant cindy.
there is a sub prime crunch dont'cha know.
Is that the new cereal added to the Cap'n Crunch line?

I know I'm being silly.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 1:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

You do realize that many people in the US were given mortgages at affordable rates which the lender then escalated to deliberately make them default so they could foreclose? The idea was they could get all these super cheap properties and make a killing by reselling them. Problem is that they foreclosed on so many properties that they flooded the market. There are entire neighbourhoods empty because greedy financial institutions raised interest rates by as much as 20%. Perhaps you've heard the term "sub prime"??
I'm obviously missing some point here. When I sign up for a mortgage, it has a term (eg, 30 years) and it is either 'Fixed' or 'Adjustable'. If it's fixed, then the rate I'm quoted is the rate I will pay for the duration of the loan (eg, 30 years). If it is an adjustable rate mortgage (ARM) then the rate is ... adjustable. It will adjust based on well defined criteria, documented in the contract by the lender, which I must read and sign that I have fully understood.

I have taken out at least 10 mortgages (purchases and re-fi's), and most have been adjustables, and I have always looked at the 'worst case' scenario presented by those documents, and then used my judgment in terms of whether or not I should sign the loan.

Now, I have not taken out a loan in recent years, but when I last did so, the rates were 100% governed by 3rd party ('independent') indexes, such as the Cost Of Funds index, the inter-bank rate, the T-Bill rate, etc - some nationally recognized 'index' that was not at all under the control of the lender. So what actually happens to the rate over time is 100% governed by the performance of these indexes, and not by the lender. So the lender is not 'escalating' the rate to deliberately screw me. Have ARM's changed in the past few years such that this is no longer the case ?

The real issues, as I see it, are that a) people got irrational in terms of their hopes and expectations of ever-increasing property values, and b) lenders stopped applying their well-established guidelines (such as, 40% debt-ratios, 3x salary, etc). For the latter, the lenders should be held responsible, but for the former, the borrower is at fault.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 4:54 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Agree, hes a Nashville lad so I hear him on the radio and much he comes up with is complete nonsense. I listen to him just to yell at the car stero

Along with Suze.

When an analysis was done of her investments it seems most of her money is in bonds which barely beat inflation and hardly a good example to set

At least Ramsey recomends mutual funds, albeit with fictional returns that most people would love to have
Old Aug 12th 2008, 4:58 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
I worked for a company like Welcome Wagon :
Damn you ..now I have Wagon Wheels in my head ...

Old Aug 12th 2008, 5:00 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

You do realize that many people in the US were given mortgages at affordable rates which the lender then escalated to deliberately make them default so they could foreclose? The idea was they could get all these super cheap properties and make a killing by reselling them. Problem is that they foreclosed on so many properties that they flooded the market. There are entire neighbourhoods empty because greedy financial institutions raised interest rates by as much as 20%. Perhaps you've heard the term "sub prime"??

The entire western world is feeling the crunch because of that little stunt.

Your comment was quite unfair and a little shortsighted.
Bit late to quote on this, but you are talking complete nonsense

Lenders NEVER want to foreclose. If you believe they do then you need to looen the tinfoil hat
Old Aug 12th 2008, 5:02 pm
Mr. Grumpy

I dare anyone to be able to afford their mortgage when the interest rate jumps 20%. You are seeing that number right, aren't you? From, say, 7% to 27%? In the UK, only store credit cards have that high a rate.
Please quote an accurate source

I am familar with many ARM mortgages and have never heard of one that will go to LIBOR or MTA + a 20% margin after adjustment

I say BS
Old Aug 12th 2008, 5:07 pm
Mr. Grumpy

It's usury and it's morally wrong and I can't believe that you think it's OK for banks to take advantage of people like this.
You continue to talk nonsense.

Morals have nothing to do with it. banks lend money based on risk

if people have terrible risk then their rates are high and they need to rent rather than buy a place - simple as that

Move to a country where shariah law is in control and lending for interest is bad. This is the USA and market forces determine prices
Old Aug 13th 2008, 1:47 am
@matthewb76

you're ignorant and the reasons why Americans get a bad rap abroad Britguy.....
Old Aug 13th 2008, 4:31 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Damn you ..now I have Wagon Wheels in my head ...

http://ocaoimh.ie/xeer/images/dsc02347.jpg
It's nice to be an inspiration,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.