Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Social Security # Question

Social Security # Question

Old Jan 13th 2006, 6:42 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social Security # Question

Originally Posted by Eskimo
Huh ? do DMVs have different rules ? I know they have different levels of idiots working in the places but surely you just need to prove you are legally in the US to apply for a driving license ?
Between the different states they can have different rules, yes. Between different offices, I swear they make up rules just to hassle the clientele.

Worst place to be, a DMV licence renewal office. Can you say QUEUE?
Old Jan 13th 2006, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

lolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Man the bennies that come with being a higher-level corporate transfer......

$290 ain't too bad. My LD bills to the UK have exceeded that in the past (by a lot ).
We use AT&T they have a really good plan for long distance and to the uk call as much as you like for a set price.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 6:56 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lolly
We use AT&T they have a really good plan for long distance and to the uk call as much as you like for a set price.
To the UK call-as-much-as-you-like?

Is this on a mobile or land-line phone? Cos I don't see a "call-all-you-want-to-the-UK" plan for land line long distance.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 6:57 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Is this on a mobile or land-line phone? Cos I don't see a "call-all-you-want-to-the-UK" plan for land line long distance.

Lingo!
Old Jan 13th 2006, 6:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

lolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond repute

It is to land lines call them and ask we have had this plan for over 2 years both in Texas and Florida.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 6:59 pm
Lapine Member

It is to land lines call them and ask we have had this plan for over 2 years both in Texas and Florida.
I've asked, believe me......

What is the name of the plan as it appears on your billing statement?

AFAIK the only "all-you-can-call" plans are VoIP.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

paul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of light

We have this with Verizon too. It costs $39.95 per month and my teenagers can spend all day every day on the phone to their friends in the UK.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 7:03 pm
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by paul_TX
We have this with Verizon too. It costs $39.95 per month and my teenagers can spend all day every day on the phone to their friends in the UK.
Even if your teenagers' calls terminate to their friends' mobiles?

Is this just to the UK or Western Europe?

Name of plan? Please?
Old Jan 13th 2006, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

It is 39.95 per month and I think it is called UK country unlimited or something like that saves a small fortune but it is only to land lines
Old Jan 13th 2006, 7:05 pm
Lapine Member

It is 39.95 per month and I think it is called UK country unlimited or something like that saves a small fortune but it is only to land lines
I know that some of the BabyBells have offered this.... but not AT&T.

Hmmm.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

I know that some of the BabyBells have offered this.... but not AT&T.

Hmmm.
We had the same plan with Verizon in Florida, AT&T are the only company offering it in Texas.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 7:10 pm
Lapine Member

http://www.consumer.att.com/global/e...unlimited.html

Here 'tis indeed .... only to landlines.

It's available to the Netherlands, but I can't use it as I'm calling a mobile.

But for those of you who call the UK a lot, you might look into it.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 7:25 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Eskimo
Heres us. We have been in LA 19 months. L1 transfer with big US corporation, wife and two kids (3 and 14). Company want me here a while (probably until I at least get my directorship - 3-5 years) and have filed a GC application for us which should be approved end of next month.
The wife and eldest have just received their EAD so the question is should they apply for Social Security Numbers? I'm not sure why this is important. The wife has no intention of working and the eldest is only 14. Is there any benefit ? do we need this for the GC interview? I have OK credit now (700+ after following the excellent advice on this site - but I dont really need it) but its just under my Social Security Number - does that matter ?

Any thoughts ?
Two things:

1) SSN is very handy for a lot things, not least of all credit scoring so no harm in doing it.

2) You might want to change your tag line. "Leo Slayer" makes you sound like a cop killer. LEO - Law Enforcement Officer - Slayer.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

paul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of light

We had the same plan with Verizon in Florida, AT&T are the only company offering it in Texas.
I'm in Texas and this is the one we use....

http://www22.verizon.com/ForYourHome....aspx#RefTable

It's called the International Choice Plan Unlimited Country.

Note: It is ONLY to UK Landlines and does not cover non-geographic location calls (0870, 0845 etc)
Old Jan 13th 2006, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in Texas and this is the one we use....

http://www22.verizon.com/ForYourHome....aspx#RefTable

It's called the International Choice Plan Unlimited Country.

Note: It is ONLY to UK Landlines and does not cover non-geographic location calls (0870, 0845 etc)

Bloody verizon - they don't cover our side of the sub-division, bastards promoting all their FIOS and cheap calls and we cant have them!!!!! - OK rant over

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.