Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Social Security # Question

Social Security # Question

Old Jan 13th 2006, 9:42 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social Security # Question

Originally Posted by Eskimo
Huh ? do DMVs have different rules ? I know they have different levels of idiots working in the places but surely you just need to prove you are legally in the US to apply for a driving license ?
huh?
Yes, there are different laws in different states.

Different level of idiots, indeed.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 10:11 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
huh?
Yes, there are different laws in different states.

Different level of idiots, indeed.
I have no idea what your reply means , can't decide if your taking the piss
Old Jan 13th 2006, 11:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
To the UK call-as-much-as-you-like?

Is this on a mobile or land-line phone? Cos I don't see a "call-all-you-want-to-the-UK" plan for land line long distance.
OneSuite
Old Jan 13th 2006, 11:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

My question to your question, Eskimo, why not get SSN's? They're free and I don't think it can hurt.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 11:35 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
My question to your question, Eskimo, why not get SSN's? They're free and I don't think it can hurt.
because Im a lazy bastard
Old Jan 14th 2006, 12:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Lottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud of

Just wondered Eskimo when you applied for gc...we are just about to submit our paperwork,. had medicals, vaccinations etc...so should submit next week (we're on L1-A too).

Re: EAD - thought only spouses could get EADs on L-2's. I remember Englishmum talking about this and the fact her 16 year old son can't work.

Re: DMV - different states have different regulations for whether you need a social security number to get your driver's license.

Re: SSN, can't hurt to have and I don't recall it being that much work.
Old Jan 14th 2006, 3:15 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Lottie
Just wondered Eskimo when you applied for gc...we are just about to submit our paperwork,. had medicals, vaccinations etc...so should submit next week (we're on L1-A too).

Re: EAD - thought only spouses could get EADs on L-2's. I remember Englishmum talking about this and the fact her 16 year old son can't work.

Re: DMV - different states have different regulations for whether you need a social security number to get your driver's license.

Re: SSN, can't hurt to have and I don't recall it being that much work.
WE applied 18th August and got EAD / AP etc in September .. again I have an EAD for my 14 year old in my hand

re it not being much work .........you have no idea how lazy I am
Old Jan 14th 2006, 5:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud of

WE applied 18th August and got EAD / AP etc in September .. again I have an EAD for my 14 year old in my hand

Wow, getting a gc seems to be fast for you, most people seem to take years not months. I suspect you've got an EAD for your 14 year old because you're moving through the gc process. Englishmum's son can't get an EAD because he is on a L-2, but they are not applying for gc.

re it not being much work .........you have no idea how lazy I am
Poor Woodsey!
Old Jan 14th 2006, 5:57 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Lottie
Wow, getting a gc seems to be fast for you, most people seem to take years not months.
Its taking about 6 months here in Californian to go L1a to GC - I know two people here in LA who have done it in the last year - also Bored Silly up in San Fran did it in about the same time....
Old Jan 14th 2006, 9:51 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

It took less than 5 minutes to fill in the form & a 2 hour wait at the SSN office, once I got called it took about 10 minutes for the guy to approve it, piece of piss! Just take a book/magazine with you!
Old Jan 14th 2006, 10:05 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
It took less than 5 minutes to fill in the form & a 2 hour wait at the SSN office, once I got called it took about 10 minutes for the guy to approve it, piece of piss! Just take a book/magazine with you!
Hey Eskimo, how much money would you lose if you took two unpaid hours off work?

Everytime I'm in one of these queues, I wonder how much the government is losing in tax dollars to have so many people off work, vs just hiring a couple of extra people to prevent the queues.
Old Jan 14th 2006, 10:07 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Partystar

as before,,,,, you have no idea how lazy I am
Old Jan 14th 2006, 10:10 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Hey Eskimo, how much money would you lose if you took two unpaid hours off work?

Everytime I'm in one of these queues, I wonder how much the government is losing in tax dollars to have so many people off work, vs just hiring a couple of extra people to prevent the queues.
about $220 ! :scared:
Old Jan 14th 2006, 11:12 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

as before,,,,, you have no idea how lazy I am
Why do you have to be involved in their Social Security application at all? Family members without a number can all make a field trip together (Mom might even be allowed to put the kids' apps in) and handle it without costing you a dime.
Considering how important a SS# is to getting things done in the US (right or wrong, I'm not starting *that* fb) it's practically negligent to not let your family members have one, especially as you are all becomming Permanent Residents. You had a lot of snappy answers for all the reasons they might need one, and you think you've got it all covered, but what if you get hit by a bus tomorrow? Bit awkward then.
The New Immigrants' Guide at uscis.gov seems to indicate that it is a legal requirement to get one; I don't know about that. If so, hopefully that would end the arguement right there.

The non-SS# available in lieu of is called an ITIN, Individual Tax Identification Number. It can only be applied for via form W-7 in conjunction with a US tax return (new-ish rule). It is typically not sufficient for DMV purposes; if you have been here close to two years, you might not be aware of the many changes to the ID policies. And yes, laws for driving licenses vary considerably between different states.

If I were able to speak to your wife, I would strongly encourage her to take charge of her and her kids' SS applications.
Old Jan 14th 2006, 11:36 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by meauxna
Why do you have to be involved in their Social Security application at all? Family members without a number can all make a field trip together (Mom might even be allowed to put the kids' apps in) and handle it without costing you a dime.
Considering how important a SS# is to getting things done in the US (right or wrong, I'm not starting *that* fb) it's practically negligent to not let your family members have one, especially as you are all becomming Permanent Residents. You had a lot of snappy answers for all the reasons they might need one, and you think you've got it all covered, but what if you get hit by a bus tomorrow? Bit awkward then.
The New Immigrants' Guide at uscis.gov seems to indicate that it is a legal requirement to get one; I don't know about that. If so, hopefully that would end the arguement right there.

The non-SS# available in lieu of is called an ITIN, Individual Tax Identification Number. It can only be applied for via form W-7 in conjunction with a US tax return (new-ish rule). It is typically not sufficient for DMV purposes; if you have been here close to two years, you might not be aware of the many changes to the ID policies. And yes, laws for driving licenses vary considerably between different states.

If I were able to speak to your wife, I would strongly encourage her to take charge of her and her kids' SS applications.
Oh please take the broom of your ass and have a sense of humour - Im just off back to neglect my wife some more

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.