Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Social Security Number for Child on L2 Visa - North Carolina

Social Security Number for Child on L2 Visa - North Carolina

Old Apr 24th 2008, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social Security Number for Child on L2 Visa - North Carolina

Yes your ITIN is for 'life' although of course a lot of people go on to get SSNs or leave (kids can get them when they become PRs I think, or at least when they get citizenship).
The thing about the immigration status is what I was told by social security, I haven't tried to register my daughter for school yet so I was unaware that it was incorrect.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Furthermore we did our own taxes as a draft at home using the free turbotax to get an idea of what we should be getting. The pros still did the real one, but I wanted to be sure I wasn't missing out on something.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 2:24 pm

JEM3110 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
Furthermore we did our own taxes as a draft at home using the free turbotax to get an idea of what we should be getting. The pros still did the real one, but I wanted to be sure I wasn't missing out on something.
We did that, surprising what you can learn from TurboTax, ie what you can claim for.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

I have to admit that I did our taxes in The Netherlands for the last 8 years as well as actually doing corporate tax returns as part of my old job, but even my husband who has a hard time with online banking could navigate Turbo Tax.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies about how long the ITIN is valid. I'm following a discussion elsewhere where someone in hiring went complaining the ITIN was from 2006 and she didn't want to use it because she didn't want to get in trouble with the IRS. I hope nobody here ever runs into someone like that... she also thought it was perfectly okay to ask the prospective employee 'are you legal?' (in those words).
Old Apr 24th 2008, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

The trouble with the IRS would have been hiring someone with an ITIN as that is illegal.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
The trouble with the IRS would have been hiring someone with an ITIN as that is illegal.
I know this but that wasn't her point though. I'm pretty sure the person the foreman want her to hire is illegal, she is just going about it wrong with only half of the right info, know what I mean? That's why I'm trying to find my links to the correct info for her. Without that it's hard to point out to her that she's basically right, just going about it wrong.

Yeah that. LOL