British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Social Security Number for Child on L2 Visa - North Carolina (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/social-security-number-child-l2-visa-north-carolina-531741/)

gryff31 Apr 24th 2008 2:26 am

Social Security Number for Child on L2 Visa - North Carolina

Hi,

Please can someone help!!! We moved to North Carolina in Dec 07, My husband is a L1 visa, me and my son are L2 Visa's. Both me and my husband had no problems getting a social security number. However were having problems getting My son (who is 3yrs old) a social number.

The social office state he need an employment authorisation form, so I went down to Homeland security immigration office and they state that dependants on me and my hubby do not qualify for employment authorisation! So i've been back to the social office and they basically said tough! no employment authorisation then no SSN.

Has anyone else who is on a L2 visa had the same problems with there children??

I believe my son need a SSN for registering for Kindergarten and our Tax consultant said our tax returns will be refused as he doesnt have a social number!

Please if anyone has any advice or knowledge in this area please could you let me know as I feel i'm running around in circles!:confused:

chicagojlo Apr 24th 2008 2:32 am

Re: Social security number for child on L2 visa - North Carolina

When you filed your tax return your tax consultant should have requested an ITIN for him (he isn't entitled to an ssn but can have an ITIN which is a tax number for people not entitled to ssns). This would also have gotten you a $1000 tax credit for the year. Change tax consultant if necessary. I had to prove to mine that we could claim the child tax credit with an ITIN but once I had done that he was happy to go ahead. You can only apply for an ITIN when filing your federal return so you have to get it sorted now.
I was told by the social security people that kids don't need an ssn to register for school anyway. My 4 year old is currently in daycare (private) and hasn't needed it. You only have to show that they are legally in the country and the L2 visa in your child's passport should be sufficient.
Kids don't start kindergarten until they are 5 by the way so you have time to get it sorted.

MsElui Apr 24th 2008 2:36 am

we came over in oct o7 and have found same. kids have attended daycare without ssns. itins will be requested with tax form (going in late) and cant have a bank account in boys names until i can provide ssn or itin (so waiting on itin)

sambapink Apr 24th 2008 2:39 am

We filed our taxes for all 3 kids with no SSN number for them... we are all on L2's. Also all the kids are in School and college without them.. I think some ask for it.. but even if you had one for your child its my understanding that you don't HAVE to give it to them anyway. Good Luck :)

chicagojlo Apr 24th 2008 2:40 am

The good news is the ITINs are issued fairly quickly, or ours was - inside a month anyway which was quicker than I was told to expect. Just waiting for my refund now!

gryff31 Apr 24th 2008 2:41 am

Thank you, Ill contact the IRS tomorrow and see if they can help before our Taxes get sent back. :thumbsup:

That was a big help as I felt in the end I was being fobbed off by all departments and they were all claiming different things.

sambapink Apr 24th 2008 2:44 am

Originally Posted by chicagojlo (Post 6257010)
The good news is the ITINs are issued fairly quickly, or ours was - inside a month anyway which was quicker than I was told to expect. Just waiting for my refund now!

I'm so clueless.. are the ITIN's like temp SSN - cos I think that when we did our taxes with H & R block... the fella was able to get them there and then on his system for the kids... or am I totally getting that wrong..?? :confused:

lisa67 Apr 24th 2008 2:46 am

we've lived here for 8 years and my kids have only just got their ssn #s. unfotunately a lot of people int eh education system at ground roots level don't know what to do with "us" so you have to be pretty forceful and sound really convincing..we always used the itin numbers for everything.

lisa67 Apr 24th 2008 2:47 am

Originally Posted by sambapink (Post 6257019)
I'm so clueless.. are the ITIN's like temp SSN - cos I think that when we did our taxes with H & R block... the fella was able to get them there and then on his system for the kids... or am I totally getting that wrong..?? :confused:

sorry, not sure, but i do know that my OH has alwya filed our taxes using them.

Ray Apr 24th 2008 2:55 am

Re: Social Security Number for Child on L2 Visa - North Carolina

[No problem ..he cant have one and is not entitled to one...

L-i and spouse only ...
change your tax consultant

Neither can L-2 children work ....

chicagojlo Apr 24th 2008 2:55 am

An ITIN is an ssn for people who aren't entitled to ssns if you get what I mean. It's a way of identifying you for tax purposes without giving you any of the benefits of having an ssn.
The HR Block people we just saw this year had to apply for our ITIN at the same time as sending in the return, the ITIN was then added to our return once it was issued by the IRS (federal, we have to add it to the state one ourselves). They just need a notarised copy of the child's passport and visa to do it.
You would be better off calling your tax consultant than the IRS. They will be better placed to help and besides you paid them to take care of this for you, they should have done it.

sambapink Apr 24th 2008 3:01 am

Originally Posted by chicagojlo (Post 6257040)
An ITIN is an ssn for people who aren't entitled to ssns if you get what I mean. It's a way of identifying you for tax purposes without giving you any of the benefits of having an ssn.
The HR Block people we just saw this year had to apply for our ITIN at the same time as sending in the return, the ITIN was then added to our return once it was issued by the IRS (federal, we have to add it to the state one ourselves). They just need a notarised copy of the child's passport and visa to do it.
You would be better off calling your tax consultant than the IRS. They will be better placed to help and besides you paid them to take care of this for you, they should have done it.

ahhh thats obviously what happened in our case..

fatbrit Apr 24th 2008 3:02 am

As Ray said. I emphasize fire your "tax consultant".

The solution is an ITIN -- you should have applied for this with your tax return this year.

gryff31 Apr 24th 2008 3:10 am

Thank you for clarifying this problem. and the Tax woman is now sacked!! It seems she has sent me on a wild goose chase!!

Ray Apr 24th 2008 3:10 am

http://www.irs.gov/individuals/artic...=96287,00.html