Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Newbie- Son's Learner's Permit/ ITIN question

Newbie- Son's Learner's Permit/ ITIN question

Old Apr 24th 2008, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

Rose of the Shires will become famous soon enough
Default Newbie- Son's Learner's Permit/ ITIN question

Hello- I'm a newbie, but been in the US for nearly 7 years, and lurking on these boards for a shamefully long time.

Anyhoo...out into the open...

Can anyone help with a question (yes- I have searched the forum, and the DMV website, AND the SSA website, but I can't find what I need to know). My son is 16, and eligible for his learner's driving permit. At the mo, he only has an ITIN, is this acceptable to the NY DMV, or do we have to get a SSN?

Thanks in advance!!
Old Apr 24th 2008, 5:52 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie- Son's Learner's Permit/ ITIN question

Originally Posted by Rose of the Shires
Hello- I'm a newbie, but been in the US for nearly 7 years, and lurking on these boards for a shamefully long time.

Anyhoo...out into the open...

Can anyone help with a question (yes- I have searched the forum, and the DMV website, AND the SSA website, but I can't find what I need to know). My son is 16, and eligible for his learner's driving permit. At the mo, he only has an ITIN, is this acceptable to the NY DMV, or do we have to get a SSN?

Thanks in advance!!
Why doesn't your son have a social security number?
If he is not eligible for one, get the letter described below. If he is eligible for one, apply for it.

From NYS DMV:

You must show your Social Security card. If you are not eligible for a Social Security Number, you must get a letter from the Social Security Administration that indicates that you are not eligible for a Social Security Number. You must show the letter to the DMV.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the reply!

He was issued with a ITIN when we first arrived in the States. At the time, my DH was on an L1, and we (myself and the kids) were L2 etc. We have all been greencard holders for about a year. We just haven't needed to get him a SSN (until now, it seems). Also I'll do almost anything to avoid sitting for ages in Social Security offices and the like.

Suppose I'm going to have to suck it up and get in there. Bugger.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 6:35 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

He was issued with a ITIN when we first arrived in the States. At the time, my DH was on an L1, and we (myself and the kids) were L2 etc. We have all been greencard holders for about a year. We just haven't needed to get him a SSN (until now, it seems). Also I'll do almost anything to avoid sitting for ages in Social Security offices and the like.
Someone refresh my memory, but on the initial application when I was 16 (natural born USC) I just mailed it in. No in-person visit required.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Snowbunny

Do you mean for the SSN or the Learner's Permit?

Although we are UK citizens, and in New York, so probably subject to a different set of bizarro rules.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 6:41 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Snowbunny

Do you mean for the SSN or the Learner's Permit?

Although we are UK citizens, and in New York, so probably subject to a different set of bizarro rules.
The SSN -- those are federal rules.

He'll definitely need to have his body there for the LP, though mind is not required.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

Ahah - yes! Hope they allow grunted answers to any verbal questions!!
Old Apr 24th 2008, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

The ssn thing is actually fairly painless, you go in and tell them you are here to get an SSN, they give you a form and a number, when it's your turn you go to the window where they look at your form and maybe ask a question or two and that's it. If you are lucky you can be in and out inside half an hour (I've been that lucky once!), or if you pick a bad day/time it could be a few hours.
The form can be downloaded from their site to save time.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 7:09 pm
Lapine Member

Ahah - yes! Hope they allow grunted answers to any verbal questions!!
It's mostly written.... then on the driving test he just needs to make sure not to hit a pedestrian and only do minor damage to other vehicles and he'll pass.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 7:12 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply!

Suppose I'm going to have to suck it up and get in there. Bugger.
Super! Now that everyone is a PR, you should update all records at SSA and get yourselves SS cards that do not have the DHS 'legend' on them.
There are several advantages to this, one being that when getting hired for a job, there is no need to show the Green Card. So, go do everyone in one batch and make it an adventure.

The boy will want an SS# for a lot of things, and please don't forget to visit www.sss.gov before his 18th birthday.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
The ssn thing is actually fairly painless, you go in and tell them you are here to get an SSN, they give you a form and a number, when it's your turn you go to the window where they look at your form and maybe ask a question or two and that's it. If you are lucky you can be in and out inside half an hour (I've been that lucky once!), or if you pick a bad day/time it could be a few hours.
The form can be downloaded from their site to save time.
Thanks Chicagojo
I did go to our "local" SS Office to get my own SSN when our Greencards came through. Had to sit for bloody ages listening (or rather, pretending not to listen!) to seemingly raving lunatics shouting at the staff through the plate glass windows All with "soothing" elevator-style Michael Bolton music playing in the background!!

For some reason I haven't been in the mood to rush back there with the kids!
Old Apr 24th 2008, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Is there another which you could class as nearby? We didn't go to the one we were supposed to go to because we had heard some scary stories. The other one was near enough to claim we didn't know we were wrong but nobody mentioned it anyway.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
Is there another which you could class as nearby? We didn't go to the one we were supposed to go to because we had heard some scary stories. The other one was near enough to claim we didn't know we were wrong but nobody mentioned it anyway.
Hmmm....That's a good idea. It's possible that there may be an office further east on Long Island which may be quieter. I'll have to look into it-thanks for the top tip!
Old Apr 24th 2008, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by snowbunny
It's mostly written.... then on the driving test he just needs to make sure not to hit a pedestrian and only do minor damage to other vehicles and he'll pass.
Ha ha! The NYS test is ridiculously easy (and I believe it's one of the more challenging ones) When I took mine, I had to drive around the block, do a three point turn in the sort of space that could be used to turn a space-shuttle transporter, parallel park behind one vehicle, and return to the testing centre. No emergency stop, no reverse around a corner, no left turn at traffic lights...none of the things I was tortured with many years ago in the UK test. Still, as you say, I did have to avoid maiming anyone, or causing a major pile-up in the US test.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ha ha! The NYS test is ridiculously easy (and I believe it's one of the more challenging ones) When I took mine, I had to drive around the block, do a three point turn in the sort of space that could be used to turn a space-shuttle transporter, parallel park behind one vehicle, and return to the testing centre. No emergency stop, no reverse around a corner, no left turn at traffic lights...none of the things I was tortured with many years ago in the UK test. Still, as you say, I did have to avoid maiming anyone, or causing a major pile-up in the US test.
The IL one is a lot more than that. Hill parking, traffic light turns, school buses, reversing round a corner.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.