Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

So sad...7yr old shot in the arm at day-care center....

So sad...7yr old shot in the arm at day-care center....

Old Jan 26th 2006, 2:54 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So sad...7yr old shot in the arm at day-care center....

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Doesnt matter what the objects prime purpose is (although I could show you a few knives whose prime purpose IS to kill). It's how it can be used. My point being parental responsibility should cover everything. My kids had "Dont run with scissors" and "Never play with knives" drummed into them the same as they have gun safety drummed into them rather then hiding the knives and hoping they never find them or pretending guns dont exist.
I don't think any parents pretends guns don't exist, I think it's almost impossible for a kid not to be aware of them (eg - TV). I won't allow guns in my house, but I will teach my son about them. Knives are needed on a day to day basis, it would be pretty difficult to prepare food without them! Guns are not needed on a day to day basis, they are basically unnecessary objects.
Old Jan 26th 2006, 3:09 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

You can kill someone with a rolled up magazine.
You can kill someone with a fist & you carry those with you anywhere!
Old Jan 26th 2006, 3:11 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
You can kill someone with a fist & you carry those with you anywhere!
I have been known to make women faint with merely the wink of an eye if that's of any relevance to the converstaion.

(Apologies on Rushman's behalf - he couldn't make it this evening, so I'm standing in for him)
Old Jan 26th 2006, 3:12 am
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by willmore
Not just the firearm owner but the parent as well. Anything dangerous, sharp or otherwise should be kept out of reach of children. Our kitchen knives are stored at a level that even with a stool the kids cant reached them. Jims tool drawer is locked as well as the kitchen and bathroom cupboards where anything dangerous is stored.

Parents have a responsibility to keep dangerous items out of reach of kids!
Yep, when we moved into this apartment, my son was not even 6 months old, but I put all our potentially dangerous stuff up very high in our kitchen & bathroom. Has worked so far, with no problems.
Old Jan 26th 2006, 3:14 am
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by Chorlton
As Macgyver here says, anything can be a weapon. I think that there isnt much wrong with those checks, but the main focus should be on the causes of violence in school. There were fights all the time at my old grammar school, but no one ever used a weapon
That's cuz Brits are hard arses & trained in the art of British Street Fighting!!!
Old Jan 26th 2006, 3:26 am
Back where I belong!

We could throw marshmallows at things instead.
I seem to manage quite nicely without one.
Old Jan 26th 2006, 3:27 am
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Only if you lick them first - they won't stick to their intended target if you don't do that
Or throw toasted one's, it burns like molten lava!!!
Old Jan 26th 2006, 3:29 am
Back where I belong!

I accept people for who they are - Idiotic, stupid, irresponsible dumbasses for the main. My only regret for immigrating is I now cant arrest them for it.
There's always a citizens arr...hahaha...sorry I couldn't even finish the sentence without laughing!!!
Old Jan 26th 2006, 3:31 am
Back where I belong!

I have been known to make women faint with merely the wink of an eye if that's of any relevance to the converstaion.

(Apologies on Rushman's behalf - he couldn't make it this evening, so I'm standing in for him)
So I guess you'll just have to lick me up the legs instead then!!!
Old Jan 26th 2006, 3:35 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
So I guess you'll just have to lick me up the legs instead then!!!
6 posts in a row
That's quite a stream of consciousness you've got going there - sorry to interrupt.
Old Jan 26th 2006, 3:46 am
Back where I belong!

6 posts in a row
That's quite a stream of consciousness you've got going there - sorry to interrupt.
I've been out all afternoon with my Mum & her friends (they're visiting from England) showing them around. I'm just trying to catch up on my posts (story of my life!)!

Anyway, enough talk, get lickin' Davy boy!!!
Old Jan 26th 2006, 4:04 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

3) If the child had taken a kitchen knife and snuck it into his bag then proceeded to stab another kid at school would there be a sudden ruckass about the disgraceful availability of kitchen knives to children?
Last time I did any cooking I didn't notice a need for Smith and Wesson .38 to slice through an onion. The only Wesson I need in the kitchen is the one that manufacturers cooking oil.
Old Jan 26th 2006, 12:02 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
Last time I did any cooking I didn't notice a need for Smith and Wesson .38 to slice through an onion. The only Wesson I need in the kitchen is the one that manufacturers cooking oil.

Er, sorry the relevance of that is lost on me. Last time I fixed my car I didnt need one either but there you go. Right tool for the right job. I wouldnt fancy trying to take down a large hog with a 3/8" spanner or a potato peeler.

The point is most people (on here certainly) live in nice little cosy urban areas of development where owning a gun can only be for self defence. That doesn't mean guns are pointless everywhere in the world.

So for all those that jump up and down shouting they would'nt have a gun in their house in total self rightousness...good for you. Doesnt mean that they should be banned. I dont like alcohol since it leads to far more (Civilian) deaths and injurys than firearms and makes my job a nightmare, but I wont call for it to banned.
Old Jan 26th 2006, 2:05 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Er, sorry the relevance of that is lost on me. Last time I fixed my car I didnt need one either but there you go. Right tool for the right job. I wouldnt fancy trying to take down a large hog with a 3/8" spanner or a potato peeler.

awp lol you make me
Old Jan 26th 2006, 2:31 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

The husband flew to England last Friday......yet at the moment the US police are not pursuing extradition as they don't have enough evidence (at the time of writing):

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_obje...name_page.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.