British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   So homesick (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/so-homesick-534755/)

chicagojlo May 7th 2008 3:25 pm

Re: So homesick

I managed living in downtown Chicago with a 3 year old for 6 months with no licence, although my hubby learnt pretty quick as he worked 30 miles away at the time. If we still lived downtown I probably still wouldn't need to drive. But the trade off for living truly downtown was the noise, the dirt, everything closed at the weekend, no supermarkets within walking distance and the ones close by being tiny.

hwylcymru May 7th 2008 7:17 pm

I hope it gets easier with time! I'm an F2 wife, and even though I can drive, I sometimes feel very isolated and lonely even with a car!

It's just a comfort to know that there are other people in the same boat, feeling the same way. (Although I have to say, I saw a car in my very isolated neighborhood a few weeks ago with a Welsh licence plate and started to cry...it would be so nice to know anyone in the area except for my in laws.)

I'm lucky that I can come home to visit my family and friends frequently, I think I'd go insane otherwise! Never thought I'd miss working.

Sofi May 7th 2008 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by dbj1000 (Post 6318759)
I guess I'll be the first to state the obvious then, and say that your husband sounds like a complete selfish arsehole.

Honestly, what a wanker to make you feel bad about not "getting an H1" (which you wouldn't have got anyway, most likely, because they're massively over-subscribed).

Twice as much of a wanker for "being too attached to his car" (and not to his new wife) to even allow you the mobility you need to make a life here.

I'm terribly sorry that you're so unhappy here. With someone who was less of a selfish prick, perhaps you'd find it easier.

:ohmy: He really isn't that bad! He puts up with a fair bit from me too......like throwing hard objects at him when I get really mad! (as you can imagine, that usually makes him see things from my point of view!) He reckons I have a rather fiery temper hehehe :p:p

TKO May 7th 2008 8:23 pm

Yeah, I hope it gets easier for you too. Clearly you need to get yourself mobile.

Some short(ish) term solutins:

Gardening! Get your fingers green and get growing your own Butternut Squash etc

Get a pet - get yourself a dog to walk, dog people can't help themselves from talking to other dog owners. A friend of mine from Seattle says the local Dog/Dogshit Park is quite the social venue.

Have a barbeque - get the neighbours round and fill them up. "What do you think of my Squash soup, I grew it myself don't you know...

Writing - see if you can write a piece for one of the local rags about your new experiences in moving to the US. Will give you a great sense of achievement and pass the time. Also... plug that Butternut Squash soup recipe you devised (the secret is the coriander!)

Internet - pass the time on the internet writing utter bollocks... preferrably including multiple references to phallic shaped vegetables.

:thumbsup:

Sofi May 7th 2008 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by TKO (Post 6320397)
Yeah, I hope it gets easier for you too. Clearly you need to get yourself mobile.

Some short(ish) term solutins:

Gardening! Get your fingers green and get growing your own Butternut Squash etc

Get a pet - get yourself a dog to walk, dog people can't help themselves from talking to other dog owners. A friend of mine from Seattle says the local Dog/Dogshit Park is quite the social venue.

Have a barbeque - get the neighbours round and fill them up. "What do you think of my Squash soup, I grew it myself don't you know...

Writing - see if you can write a piece for one of the local rags about your new experiences in moving to the US. Will give you a great sense of achievement and pass the time. Also... plug that Butternut Squash soup recipe you devised (the secret is the coriander!)

Internet - pass the time on the internet writing utter bollocks... preferrably including multiple references to phallic shaped vegetables.

:thumbsup:

Excellent idea! Who knew growing butternut squash could open so many windows of opportunity.........I'm off to the garden center! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

TKO May 7th 2008 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Sofi (Post 6320472)
Excellent idea!

Wow, that truely is a first!

Was thinking after I posted - are his family close by and do you get on with them? I'm planning on moving across the pond in June and will be doing my fair share of babysitting, gardening, house repairs ... as well as fishing, drinking beers and telling lies etc with the new in-laws till I get set up.

Sofi May 7th 2008 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by TKO (Post 6320488)
Wow, that truely is a first!

Was thinking after I posted - are his family close by and do you get on with them? I'm planning on moving across the pond in June and will be doing my fair share of babysitting, gardening, house repairs ... as well as fishing, drinking beers and telling lies etc with the new in-laws till I get set up.

Nope, he has no family here! He moved to the US about 8 years ago. He used to live and study in New York. Moved to Houston a couple of years ago for his job.

TKO May 7th 2008 8:51 pm

ah yeah, sorry - I had read that he moved there years ago.

Butternut Squash it is then, lass.

elfman May 7th 2008 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 6318750)
I remember that pic too, I think there's a reason her hubs doesn't want her out mingling...;)

she's put a few more up :tounge_smile:

Sofi May 7th 2008 9:11 pm

Yeah this is how I spend my days. Between BE and Facebook I don't even know how I have time to be bored.............:blink:

I thought I would put pics of hubby up as the poor thing has gotten so much stick!

TKO May 7th 2008 9:20 pm

First I have seen of the gallery.

Added a couple of pics too.

elfman May 7th 2008 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by Sofi (Post 6320589)
I thought I would put pics of hubby up as the poor thing has gotten so much stick!

never mind him, a few more of you might brighten the day :D

britvic May 7th 2008 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by Sofi (Post 6320388)
:ohmy: He really isn't that bad! He puts up with a fair bit from me too......like throwing hard objects at him when I get really mad! (as you can imagine, that usually makes him see things from my point of view!) He reckons I have a rather fiery temper hehehe :p:p

Thats understandable you having a temper you are suffering from cabin fever.