British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   So homesick (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/so-homesick-534755/)

Sofi May 6th 2008 8:42 pm

Re: So homesick

It isn't really my husbands fault. I guess i need to take some responsibility for myself too. When I got here he suggested I get a H1 too or study. The deadline for applying for a H1 (once you have actually found a job) is start of April. As I had only been here a couple of months (and didn't even have my bearings yet) I never did it. So now he feels that I brought it on myself and I should just get on with it. He is right up to a point. I guess he can't really babysit me.....:unsure:

Dan725 May 6th 2008 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by mellybrown (Post 6315726)
I lived at home with my mum and sister right up until moving here in march and can totally relate to you missing having people around. I get SO bored all day when hubby is at work, and I dont drive so can only go a short distance (mainly walmart - the joys!!)

Thank god for the internet!!

No offense, but it amazes me that people can't drive in America. To my mind its an absolute necessity in 99% of the country. Don't you fancy learning?

meauxna May 6th 2008 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by Sofi (Post 6315793)
He is right up to a point. I guess he can't really babysit me.....:unsure:

Up to a point, yes. Maybe he has forgotten that he has been living here for 8 years and doesn't remember what it was like. Plus, he had (& still has) a j o b to go to and the instant connections that go with it.
A little give from both directions would probably help. :)

jumping doris May 6th 2008 9:03 pm

It isn't really my husbands fault. I guess i need to take some responsibility for myself too. When I got here he suggested I get a H1 too or study. The deadline for applying for a H1 (once you have actually found a job) is start of April. As I had only been here a couple of months (and didn't even have my bearings yet) I never did it. So now he feels that I brought it on myself and I should just get on with it. He is right up to a point. I guess he can't really babysit me.....:unsure:

No, he can't babysit you but he has been here for 8 years and may have forgotton what it's like to be new.

It is very easy to drive here and it does open up so many other avenues. If you study you will need a car to get to classes.

But I'm sure you know all of this and today perhaps you just needed to come on here and vent. And it is the perfect place to vent:D

chicagojlo May 6th 2008 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by Dan725 (Post 6315803)
No offense, but it amazes me that people can't drive in America. To my mind its an absolute necessity in 99% of the country. Don't you fancy learning?

I nevr drove in my life before moving here. Never needed to. And then you are supposed to go out and learn knowing that most of the other people on the road only had to drive in a straight line to get their licences?!
I did learn here, and it was easier than the two previous attempts overseas. But it didn't mean I wasn't as scared as the other two times.

chicagojlo May 6th 2008 9:09 pm

A H1 isn't that easy to get, and definitely not as easy as it was when he got his. Most of us couldn't find a job in that time with employment authorisation, looking for one needing sponsorship would have been near impossible.
And study - if you can't afford driving lessons you definitely can't afford to study.
Perhaps you are both to blame for not properly researching your options before you came, but now that reality has set in you need to stop blaming each other and start doing something to change it!

Sofi May 6th 2008 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by jumping doris (Post 6315892)
No, he can't babysit you but he has been here for 8 years and may have forgotton what it's like to be new.

It is very easy to drive here and it does open up so many other avenues. If you study you will need a car to get to classes.

But I'm sure you know all of this and today perhaps you just needed to come on here and vent. And it is the perfect place to vent:D

Ithink you're right. I think I just needed people to talk to who have been through the same thing as me and can relate (without thinking I'm just complaining)

:):)

mellybrown May 6th 2008 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by Dan725 (Post 6315803)

ohhh i am - took the theory the other day, hubby sits his test on fri then is gonna teach me :D

penguinsix May 6th 2008 9:15 pm

You are not alone. Probably everyone has gone through periods like this (just search 'Homesick' on this forum and you'll see.

A big part of being an expat is trying to deal with 'those left behind' be it family, friends, culture, etc. You might find it interesting (and somewhat of an echo of your situation) to read about these expats who are homesick

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?board=68.0

It's the messageboard for Americans living in the UK. You'll find many of them mirror your predicament and there is a lot of advice over there on how to deal with it. Many of the problems are universal to expats regardless of where they're from or where they are living.

britvic May 6th 2008 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US (Post 6315722)
With all due respect, sounds like your hubby needs to be a little less selfish.

I see it that way also, she's given up what she had back home as did I for my OH and he really does his best to get me out of the house even though he might of had a hard stressful day at work, he said the only real stress he has in his life is me :( meaning he'll do all he can to keep me happy and it's because of the way he is IS why I'm still here.

jumping doris May 6th 2008 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by Sofi (Post 6315926)
Ithink you're right. I think I just needed people to talk to who have been through the same thing as me and can relate (without thinking I'm just complaining)

:):)

We have all been through it, some worse than others.
Complain and moan away if it helps.

Sofi May 6th 2008 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by britvic (Post 6315989)
I see it that way also, she's given up what she had back home as did I for my OH and he really does his best to get me out of the house even though he might of had a hard stressful day at work, he said the only real stress he has in his life is me :( meaning he'll do all he can to keep me happy and it's because of the way he is IS why I'm still here.

I guess you're lucky :)

Bob May 6th 2008 9:56 pm

Sorry, but he's a tw@ for making you feel like that, pure and simple.

H1's aren't easy to get, never mind the April opening day, chances of a couple both getting one are slim to none. He's just being an arse about it.

Is there any local library type meeting groups or YMCA meets that you could attend, get someone to drop you off?

britvic May 6th 2008 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by Sofi (Post 6316010)
I guess you're lucky :)

I know I am, but believe me there has been many a time when I wished I'd ran the other way when I met him :( Welcome to BE anyway :) so many on here have helped me through the sad times of living the life over here :)

Sofi May 6th 2008 10:10 pm

Thanks everyone. You really have made me feel better (and more importantly: NORMAL!!)

I'm going to take everyone's advice and do something about this situation before I completely forget why i came here in the first place.

:):):):)