Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Silly questions...driving in California and electricals.

Silly questions...driving in California and electricals.

Old Apr 5th 2013, 3:03 am
Forum Regular

Phoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Silly questions...driving in California and electricals.

Originally Posted by Speedwell
I'm a woman and I know technical stuff. I work in IT for engineers. Honestly, women can do this stuff. There's enough men in technical fields trying to put us back in aprons, thanks. Please don't use it as an excuse. Glad you're learning.
It was a supposed to be a light hearted tongue in cheek response, apologies that it didn't come across the way I had intended. I am here in the US transferred by my company, which is one of the world's largest engineering companies, working day-in, day-out in a very technical environment alongside men and women, so I did not mean to belittle women at all - my bad for a poor attempt at witticism
Old Apr 5th 2013, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

Phoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Do you fetch the drinks and do the typing?

Spoiler:
Sorry!
Old Apr 5th 2013, 3:13 am
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Do you fetch the drinks and do the typing?

Spoiler:
Sorry!
Well, there was the time someone brought a bottle of Dalmore Cromartie. Since the amiable idiot was unacquainted with exactly how good his accidental selection was (he bought it based on price and someone else's recommendation) I took over the pouring. Not saying how much the bartender's share was. Is that the sort of thing you mean?

And typing? Those nuts paid for an engineering degree; it would be a shame not to let them get some use out of it. I just correct their ham-handed efforts after the fact.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 3:21 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

....And typing? Those nuts paid for an engineering degree; it would be a shame not to let them get some use out of it. I just correct their ham-handed efforts after the fact.
I sympathize with you there. I'm not in engineering, but I have spent a disproportionate amount of time through most of my career to date correcting the cr@p that my colleagues write, including most of the last five years when my daily tasks seemed more akin to those of an English and Geography teacher than what I am paid to do. .... The funny thing is I despised English at high school, giving it up as soon as I could, and I refused to take the (non-compulsory) lit module, despite my mother being a high school English teacher.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 5:14 am
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

I sympathize with you there. I'm not in engineering, but I have spent a disproportionate amount of time through most of my career to date correcting the cr@p that my colleagues write, including most of the last five years when my daily tasks seemed more akin to those of an English and Geography teacher than what I am paid to do. .... The funny thing is I despised English at high school, giving it up as soon as I could, and I refused to take the (non-compulsory) lit module, despite my mother being a high school English teacher.
ugh, Geography teaching. I had to inform the NVC today that Northern Ireland was part of the UK. Because, you know, they never deal with folks from overseas and have no reference materials to go by.
Old Apr 6th 2013, 1:38 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

ugh, Geography teaching. I had to inform the NVC today that Northern Ireland was part of the UK. Because, you know, they never deal with folks from overseas and have no reference materials to go by.
They do consider NI to be separate for the purposes of the Diversity Visa Lottery, so it could stem from that. For what reason they do this, I have no idea.
Old Apr 6th 2013, 1:53 pm
Mouthy Yank

Originally Posted by BTJ
They do consider NI to be separate for the purposes of the Diversity Visa Lottery, so it could stem from that. For what reason they do this, I have no idea.
I didn't know that. That's a really good point, thanks!
Old Apr 6th 2013, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

To the OP. Be aware CA does not recognize International driving licenses, it is clearly stated on the CA DMV website: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#international

So I would avoid that hassle and expense as not needed. Practically speaking I would just get here and take my license as soon as possible. Again the DMV website offers some guidance a to what a CA resident is considered to be for driving license purposes: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#two500

So don't delay and you should not run into a problem. After having recently arrived in CA you will hardly have voted, paid taxes or any of the other examples given in order to establish residency in the above link. Yes the 10 day limit applies but even the CA vehicle code states the presumption of residency can be rebutted. Good faith and all that......

Personally I would seek out a more rural or quiet DMV driver testing location, as Pulaski suggested earlier. Probably you will receive better service and a greater chance of any potentially discretionary measures that may currently be in place re licensing. Good luck

PS. I say that a failed tester in another state