Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Silly questions...driving in California and electricals.

Silly questions...driving in California and electricals.

Old Apr 4th 2013, 9:45 am
Zez
Forum Regular

Zez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really nice
Default Silly questions...driving in California and electricals.

I'm sure I'm being dumb but...

If we move to California I need to get a drivers licence within 10 days of becoming resident (ie getting Ssn). Is having a ssn likely to be v soon after arrival? Trying to think through all the practicalities of the move. Can I drive before then? Can I drive to the test centre on my own?

Electricals... Am I right that almost nothing will work? Fine we'll have to buy kettle and Hoover, hairdryer etc and I know about tv but I can't afford to replace iPod docks, son's DS, wii etc on top of all the rest. could be v expensive and company won't pay. Do step up transformers work in reality?

Freaking out about the practicalities. I know there are far more important issues than these, but I'm trying to get a checklist in my head and google isn't being my friend on these questions!
Old Apr 4th 2013, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Silly questions...driving in California and electricals.

Most small electronics will work with a pin adaptor. There should be a plate on the device or charger stating the voltage range it will accept. If this indicates it will accept voltages as low as 110V it should work fine.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 11:45 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

If we move to California I need to get a drivers licence within 10 days of becoming resident (ie getting Ssn). Is having a ssn likely to be v soon after arrival? Trying to think through all the practicalities of the move. Can I drive before then? Can I drive to the test centre on my own
You're resident the second you step foot out of the airport, so it's 10 days from then, not from when you get your SSN. The SSN card can take 6 weeks to receive, but the number itself will probably be avaliable on the system for a member of staff to give to you from a SS Office after about 10 days.

You can drive for the 10 days as previously stated, so it you don't take your test until after 10 days then no you cannot drive yourself. If you do, then you're fine to drive there.

Unless CA law specifically states that you become a resident when you receive your SSN. That would seem to me to be an odd interpretation of 'resident' though.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 11:49 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Your SSN won't come that soon, but don't stress about it, just take care of it as soon as you can. You can also expect to have to do a road test, and it's unlikely you'd be able to do that within 10 days anyway. It only could become an issue if you're stopped by the police, but even then it's likely not that big a deal. For what it's worth some people drive around for years on out of state tags and license.

Step-up transformers do work, but can get a bit warm if you don't get one that handles enough power, and it is commonly reported here on BE that using one may void your insurance. In practice the cost of buying transformers and the inconvenience of using them makes them more trouble than they're worth.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 4th 2013 at 11:55 am.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 11:52 am
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zez
Electricals... Am I right that almost nothing will work? Fine we'll have to buy kettle and Hoover, hairdryer etc and I know about tv but I can't afford to replace iPod docks, son's DS, wii etc on top of all the rest. could be v expensive and company won't pay. Do step up transformers work in reality?
Step-up transformers work on low voltage items, but unless you shop wisely their quality can be iffy, especially over the long term. If you get a chance, contact the manufacturers of the items and/or look online for user manuals to see if the items are or aren't capable of running on 110.

Laptop computers are almost always OK with a plug adapter only because the power cord block (here I work in IT and I can't remember what the blasted thing is actually called) is a dual voltage transformer. I know my Kindle can charge all over the world with the very small charge adapter it came with (I've used it in Buenos Aires, Bogota, Aberdeen, Dubai, Hamburg, and Johannesburg). If you can run the small electronic item off a USB charge adapter, it will usually modulate the power for you. If it's chargeable from a USB cable, you can also use your laptop to charge it.

Kettles will be OK with a plug adapter. They just won't boil as quickly. I happen to have a UK-made travel kettle in my home right now that I successfully used as a backup when my US-made kettle broke last year.

This is the type of plug adapter I mean (universal to US) http://www.eastwestintl.com/proddetail.asp?pid=1438 Note that it does not act as a transformer. The website is of a place close to my home, but there will be similar places in California.

Last edited by Speedwell; Apr 4th 2013 at 12:00 pm. Reason: clarify that LAPTOP computers use the power block; DESKTOP may not
Old Apr 4th 2013, 11:53 am
Zez
Forum Regular

Zez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really nice

Bizarre! So assuming you need a Ssn to get a license, strictly after the first 10 days you aren't allowed to drive but cant take the test! and in any case couldn't rock up to the test centre unaccompanied.... We'll know noone so won't have anyone to sit in with me. Sounds impossible to do it all correctly!
Old Apr 4th 2013, 12:02 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zez
Bizarre! So assuming you need a Ssn to get a license, strictly after the first 10 days you aren't allowed to drive but cant take the test! and in any case couldn't rock up to the test centre unaccompanied.... We'll know noone so won't have anyone to sit in with me. Sounds impossible to do it all correctly!
I drove to my test on my British licence - bizarre, but I was within the terms of my insurance. I was used the a rented SUV, albeit a small one, to drive in my test, and that was probably not within the terms of the rental agreement. Also the next available road test was three months after I arrived. FWIW I was in New York. Tip: if you can't get a road test quickly, try other counties further out of town - rural DMV offices are usually less busy.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 4th 2013 at 12:44 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 12:14 pm
Zez
Forum Regular

It all sounds very confusing, but thank you all x
Old Apr 4th 2013, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Speedwell
..... If you get a chance, contact the manufacturers of the items and/or look online for user manuals to see if the items are or aren't capable of running on 110v. ...
ALL electrical appliances, with the possible exception of lamps, are marked with a permanent sticker or embossed panel (usually underneath and/or near the power cord/connection) showing the permissible range of input voltages, so there is no need to go looking for manuals or contacting the manufacturers.

As Speedwell said, some small appliances work with just a plug adapter, but are much slower. Anything with a motor is likely to behave oddly because US mains is not only a different voltage, but also a different frequency. This affects motors, and may also affect anything with a clock. Suffice to say plugging anything designed for 220v-240v into a 110v supply is not dangerous, it's just that it won't work/work properly.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 1:35 pm
Zez
Forum Regular

Good to now it's not dangerous at least!
Old Apr 4th 2013, 2:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zez
In California, you have to take the written test first and then schedule an appointment for the road test. If you have a valid UK license, after the written test you will get a 90 day full temporary license (you may have to ask to talk to the supervisor if they want to issue you a learners permit instead since they sometimes don't know the rules).

Just take the written test as soon as possible. If the police stop you, it is highly unlikely that you will be ticketed for driving without a valid California license unless you leave it go too long.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 2:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zez
Good to now it's not dangerous at least!
Items with filaments (light bulbs, teapots, etc.) just run cooler and/or dimmer but anything with motors, can possibly overheat but may just run faster or slower (faster because of 60 Hz instead of 50 Hz but possibly slower because of the lower voltage used).
Old Apr 4th 2013, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by Michael
.... anything with motors, can possibly overheat but may just run faster or slower (faster because of 60 Hz instead of 50 Hz but possibly slower because of the lower voltage used).
Despite the higher frequency, the lower voltage means that motors would almost certainly run within acceptable tolerances and not overheat, or it would take a prolonged time, long after you'd realised that the appliance wasn't running properly.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 3:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Despite the higher frequency, the lower voltage means that motors would almost certainly run within acceptable tolerances and not overheat, or it would take a prolonged time, long after you'd realised that the appliance wasn't running properly.
Not necessarily since sometimes, especially with large appliances, the low voltage can cause drag and cause the motors to miss cycles putting a strain on the motors causing them to possibly overheat. Sometimes the appliance motor doesn't have enough power to even start the motor rotating causing a hum (typically compressors).

Last edited by Michael; Apr 4th 2013 at 3:26 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by Michael
Not necessarily since sometimes, especially with large appliances, the low voltage causes the motors to miss cycles putting a strain on the motors causing them to possibly overheat. Sometimes the appliance motor doesn't have enough power to even start the motor rotating causing a hum (typically compressors).
Probably so, but I though we were talking about electric razors, hair dryers, hand mixers, and the like, not industrial equipment or even laundry appliances and fridges.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.