Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Should forgeiners be made to learn basic English?

Wikiposts

Should forgeiners be made to learn basic English?

Old Mar 28th 2005, 7:40 am
ImHere

Default Re: Should foreigner's be made to learn basic English?

Originally Posted by UJ_99
Terrifies me to even just to go on vacation to a country where another language is spoken, nevermind living there!
I see you're from the Isle of Wight...how did you get on when you went to Southampton then?

Old Mar 28th 2005, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

UJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ImHere
I see you're from the Isle of Wight...how did you get on when you went to Southampton then?
I took a phrase book and pen and paper

I spent most of my college years trying desperately to lose my 'yokel' accent, although always felt I sounded posher when talking to a friend from Catford...
Old Mar 28th 2005, 7:47 am
ImHere

Default Re: Should forgeiners be made to learn basic English?

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I would. I would find not being able to communicate very frustrating; I'm definitely going to learn Spanish when I move to Florida.

Try to learn the basics before moving to Florida if you are coming down here south of Okeechobee.

Old Mar 28th 2005, 7:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Try to learn the basics before moving to Florida if you are coming down here south of Okeechobee.
My fiancee is Hispanic so I know the basics....for example:

tienes un culo hermoso
Old Mar 28th 2005, 7:52 am
Franklin

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
The other night at work I had a customer who had a problem with a return (exchange) she could not speak a word of english and was using her 6 maybe 7 year old grand daughter to interpret for her... I tried always to get the little girl to understand and explain but she just didn't seem to get it, in the end the grandmother got really upset me... there was nothing I could do.

This is not the first time either it has happened lots... I have had other customers do the same thing... one had been here at least four years (I know because we have the issue date on our store credit cards) and she was using her son to interpret.

If someone is going to live in the US for that long don't ya think they should have to learn at least some basic English?.

Ash
On information and belief there is no official language in the USA. I recall someone saying that in the not too distant future, Spanish will overtake English as the first spoken language in the USA. Given the demographics, shouldn’t we all seek to be conversant in English and Spanish?

Old Mar 28th 2005, 7:57 am
ImHere

tienes un culo hermoso

Muchos gracias, pero, usted ha visto mi asno?

Old Mar 28th 2005, 7:58 am
Adopt me????!!!!!

serdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
The other night at work I had a customer who had a problem with a return (exchange) she could not speak a word of english and was using her 6 maybe 7 year old grand daughter to interpret for her... I tried always to get the little girl to understand and explain but she just didn't seem to get it, in the end the grandmother got really upset me... there was nothing I could do.

This is not the first time either it has happened lots... I have had other customers do the same thing... one had been here at least four years (I know because we have the issue date on our store credit cards) and she was using her son to interpret.

If someone is going to live in the US for that long don't ya think they should have to learn at least some basic English?.

Ash

I totally agree with you! Not only as consumers, but also as public service people. I can't tell you how many times I have called a company only to get someone who could not speak the English language. And, I have also experience with someone at the Department of Labor who was hired to teach me how to find a job. Please, I applied for that job and was qualified but this person was a forgeiner, who could not speak English well enough to understand the people she was supposed to be helping??????????Argh!!!!!!!! Please tell me why this happens????? I want someone to explain!
Old Mar 28th 2005, 7:59 am
Franklin

tienes un culo hermoso
That made me laugh ... did someone say this to your fiancee? *LOL* Maybe your fiancee looks after a pet in the form of a hardy gregarious African or Asian perissodactyl mammal (from Webster's definition of an "ass"), and the commentator was merely admiring your fiancee's beautiful pet/ass? Non? Qui qui? *LOL*

Old Mar 28th 2005, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Franklin
On information and belief there is no official language in the USA. I recall someone saying that in the not too distant future, Spanish will overtake English as the first spoken language in the USA. Given the demographics, shouldn’t we all seek to be conversant in English and Spanish?
You may have a point there... and if Spanish did become the dominant language I would make sure to learn it... I can't imagine having to depend on a child to speak for me.

Anyone see the commercial with the little girl reading a letter to her dad (I think it is her dad) because he can't read then asking if she can go outside to play... so sad

Ash
Old Mar 28th 2005, 8:00 am
ImHere

You should all come on down here to Miami-Dade and see how many people speak English to you. Not many will thats for sure.

Old Mar 28th 2005, 8:01 am
Franklin

I couldn't possibly comment!

Old Mar 28th 2005, 8:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

When I said basics, I meant really basic.

I'm just guessing about your culo.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

UJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant future

You should all come on down here to Miami-Dade and see how many people speak English to you. Not many will thats for sure.
That is a good point - depends where you live. Up here in snowy Rochester, the hispanic population is very small (don't even think there is a spanish speaking radio station in town). And it was the same in Baltimore. In fact, living in the suburb we used to live in, it would have made more sense to learn Russian!
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Which part of Miami Dade are you in?
ImHere

When I said basics, I meant really basic.

I'm just guessing about your culo.

Well I can tell you you were correct...so my wife tells me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.