Scorpions

Old Aug 12th 2010, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scorpions

we've only had 2 in the house (to my knowledge) both in the kitchen and they match perfectly with the light brown tiles we have on the floor.
We do have the Orkin man come out once every couple of months 2 spray for "things" but having found 2 black widows in my garage this week I'm beginning to think it isn't doing much good!!!!
Oh the joys of life in Texas....and no, I don't live in a trailer
Old Aug 12th 2010, 2:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Zonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
I asked some locals and they're not deadly to people - bee stings were mentioned - but nobody is sure about cats.

Apparently the best way to spot them is with UV light, 'cos they fluoresce under it.
I've got an LED UV flashlight bought from Lowes for $15 and they do glow under it. Forget pesticides and bug men you just have to hunt for them and crush them or if you are squeamish put them in some Tupperware and put them in the freezer to die. (You can wear a pith helmet when hunting ).
Old Aug 12th 2010, 5:27 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by traceym
OMG, I cant believe you wrote ouch, if that was me I'd have to be sedated and locked in a loony bin for a month, and I'd never be able to sleep again!

You people are so brave, I'd be off never to return if one of those was in the house.

Nuke em that's what I say!
I had the same thought - "ouch" damn pesky little critters!!!!

I mean "ouch" wouldn't that be "hubby wake the f**k up get up and sort that b*sta*d out now, and stay awake guarding the door for the rest of this night and forever onwards!!! making sure nothing EVER gets me again!!!"
Old Aug 12th 2010, 9:54 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Tactical nukes. It's the only language they understand.
Yep!

In fact, I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
Thanks a lot for this thread not - I didn't get to sleep until after 1.30am this morning thinking about scorpions - hand't realised I had those to worry about too .

I thought my current earwig infiltration was bad enough - horrible little buggers trying to crawl into my lugs and lay their eggs - now I have to worry about scorpions crawling into my jimmy choos
Sorry about that. ~It gets worse - I went to the dentist this morning. On the way home, some bug about 4" long flew into the windscreen, leaving a splash of blood and fell onto the bonnet. It lay there for 12 miles, then flew off like nothing had happened.

What kind of monsters do they have down here?

Originally Posted by TexasPenguin
Wow! What an amazing co-incidence! At midnight last night I was woken up by a sharp pain in my face. Sleepily I switched the light on to see a 3-4" long scorpion (one of the biggest we've seen in the house) scurrying away over the back of my pillow. Ouch!
That might explain the patch on my forehead that looked & felt like a wasp sting, the other day...

Originally Posted by Zonie
I've got an LED UV flashlight bought from Lowes for $15 and they do glow under it. Forget pesticides and bug men you just have to hunt for them and crush them or if you are squeamish put them in some Tupperware and put them in the freezer to die. (You can wear a pith helmet when hunting ).
I've got one of those UV fluorescent lights. I'll dig it out of the garage, if I can fight my way past the scorpions...
Old Aug 12th 2010, 10:03 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

Oh. My. God. I am NEVER moving to Texas!

Here in Cheeseland we get massive centipedes and horrible browny-red earwigs that hide inside my patio umbrella, waiting to drop on to my head as soon as I sit on my deck. Oh, and fleas. GODDAM F.CKING FLEAS! My cat's been shampooed twice, wears a flea collar, we've vacuumed, cleaned the carpets TWICE, and sprayed the entire goddam house with flea spray, but the little f.ckers keep biting Little O!

But even after all that, I would still take cat fleas over scorpions.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 10:07 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

General rule of scorpions is the bigger they are, the less venomous they are.
Smaller == more dangerous.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Big!
So these are the ones that crawl in your boots and sting you and you will die?
I've stepped on a brown one, it hurt but was more like a bad bee sting. Now I don't walk through the rooms without the lights on at night.
And I was reading this thinking how lucky I am to be living in Northern California and not Texas. Apparently I shouldn't be so complacent.
Never seen one down this way and really hope that I won't. Something to do with the heat (or lack of) maybe?
Old Aug 12th 2010, 11:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Just whacked a Black Widow with a dustpan.

I am hard.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 11:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux

I am hard.
Are you sure it's dead?
Old Aug 12th 2010, 11:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
Are you sure it's dead?
It's extremely flat

Last edited by Sally Redux; Aug 12th 2010 at 11:47 pm.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 11:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

It's extremely flat
That's ok then...yes you are right hard you are!
Old Aug 13th 2010, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by jackattack
And I was reading this thinking how lucky I am to be living in Northern California and not Texas. Apparently I shouldn't be so complacent.
Never seen one down this way and really hope that I won't. Something to do with the heat (or lack of) maybe?
I'm wondering what Alaska's like, as a place to live.
Old Aug 13th 2010, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
I'm wondering what Alaska's like, as a place to live.
No scorpions in Ohio... there's a nice house for sale in my street. Made of bricks, too, not poxy Yank wood.
Old Aug 13th 2010, 12:48 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I am hard.
Yer dead 'ard you is.
Old Aug 13th 2010, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by Bill_S
No scorpions in Ohio... there's a nice house for sale in my street. Made of bricks, too, not poxy Yank wood.
Ohio's on the list of possible locations, for when we get out of the boonies. Mind, if that house hasn't sold by then, I dread to think...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.