Scorpions

Old Aug 12th 2010, 3:22 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Scorpions

Not the German band, the deadly creatures. OK, possibly not deadly to a grown man, but perhaps to a tiny kitten.

Anyway, we've found two in the house in the last couple of days - one upstairs in the bedroom, one downstairs in the lounge.

What are you supposed to do about stuff like this? Spray insecticide? Napalm the neighbourhood?
Old Aug 12th 2010, 3:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scorpions

That makes me shudder just thinking of it. Our kitties will go after any insect that moves and I'd hate to think of them getting ahold of a scorpion. I'd be calling up a pest control company asap and have them come out to spray around the exterior of the home. I'd like to think there is an insecticide that would keep out those suckers.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 3:30 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Ewww I hate scorpions, what kind were they? We have brown ones, they get about 3 inches long at the most from what we have seen, mostly they are small enough for me to suck up the vacuum. Since we started with clark pest control, we haven't hardly had any in the house.
I thought Texas had big suckers you could slap a saddle on and kill a person with.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 3:35 am

I think they're striped bark scorpions. Bout 1.5" to 2" long, plus tail.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 3:38 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
I think they're striped bark scorpions. Bout 1.5" to 2" long, plus tail.
Big!
So these are the ones that crawl in your boots and sting you and you will die?
I've stepped on a brown one, it hurt but was more like a bad bee sting. Now I don't walk through the rooms without the lights on at night.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Big!
So these are the ones that crawl in your boots and sting you and you will die?
I've stepped on a brown one, it hurt but was more like a bad bee sting. Now I don't walk through the rooms without the lights on at night.
I asked some locals and they're not deadly to people - bee stings were mentioned - but nobody is sure about cats.

Apparently the best way to spot them is with UV light, 'cos they fluoresce under it.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 3:50 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

You might ask your county extension agent or see what you can find on TAMU's site.

I've been stung twice by scorpions - it's not too bad.

http://www.peteducation.com/article....+1681&aid=2396

says that antivenins are rarely used in pets because most stings are not fatal.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 4:25 am
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

**GASP** watch out kitties
Old Aug 12th 2010, 4:38 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Tactical nukes. It's the only language they understand.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 1:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Luckily, we never saw one while we were in TX, lots of fiddle backs, plenty of small snakes A friend of ours there used to see them all the time, she said they would chase her

Protect the Kitties Catman! Kill the buggars (scorpions) dead!!
Old Aug 12th 2010, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

TexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond repute

Not the German band, the deadly creatures. OK, possibly not deadly to a grown man, but perhaps to a tiny kitten.

Anyway, we've found two in the house in the last couple of days - one upstairs in the bedroom, one downstairs in the lounge.

What are you supposed to do about stuff like this? Spray insecticide? Napalm the neighbourhood?
Wow! What an amazing co-incidence! At midnight last night I was woken up by a sharp pain in my face. Sleepily I switched the light on to see a 3-4" long scorpion (one of the biggest we've seen in the house) scurrying away over the back of my pillow. Ouch!

Our dog's been stung by one with no ill effects, not sure about something as small as a kitten.

We spoke to various pest exterminators in the past when we first had them in the house (we built a new house and apparently they hide in the bricks of a new build) but everyone said that these things are virtually impossible to kill with chemicals (they are hard enough to kill with a shoe!).

You get pretty adept at spotting the little buggers after a while.

Just another highlight of life in Texas, I'm afraid...
Old Aug 12th 2010, 1:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Get John Travolta to race one at Thunder Road, they'll soon be off with their tails between their legs.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 1:44 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

I vote for napalming the neighborhood...I'm sure some of the houses could do with a remodel anyway...oh sorry...its texas...the trailers...
Old Aug 12th 2010, 2:09 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks a lot for this thread not - I didn't get to sleep until after 1.30am this morning thinking about scorpions - hand't realised I had those to worry about too .

I thought my current earwig infiltration was bad enough - horrible little buggers trying to crawl into my lugs and lay their eggs - now I have to worry about scorpions crawling into my jimmy choos
Old Aug 12th 2010, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TexasPenguin
Wow! What an amazing co-incidence! At midnight last night I was woken up by a sharp pain in my face. Sleepily I switched the light on to see a 3-4" long scorpion (one of the biggest we've seen in the house) scurrying away over the back of my pillow. Ouch!
OMG, I cant believe you wrote ouch, if that was me I'd have to be sedated and locked in a loony bin for a month, and I'd never be able to sleep again!

You people are so brave, I'd be off never to return if one of those was in the house.

Nuke em that's what I say!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.