British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Scorpions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/scorpions-680834/)

chartreuse Aug 12th 2010 3:22 am

Scorpions

Not the German band, the deadly creatures. OK, possibly not deadly to a grown man, but perhaps to a tiny kitten.

Anyway, we've found two in the house in the last couple of days - one upstairs in the bedroom, one downstairs in the lounge.

What are you supposed to do about stuff like this? Spray insecticide? Napalm the neighbourhood?

Bluegrass Lass Aug 12th 2010 3:27 am

Re: Scorpions

That makes me shudder just thinking of it. Our kitties will go after any insect that moves and I'd hate to think of them getting ahold of a scorpion. I'd be calling up a pest control company asap and have them come out to spray around the exterior of the home. I'd like to think there is an insecticide that would keep out those suckers.

Mummy in the foothills Aug 12th 2010 3:30 am

Ewww I hate scorpions, what kind were they? We have brown ones, they get about 3 inches long at the most from what we have seen, mostly they are small enough for me to suck up the vacuum. Since we started with clark pest control, we haven't hardly had any in the house.
I thought Texas had big suckers you could slap a saddle on and kill a person with. :blink:

chartreuse Aug 12th 2010 3:35 am

I think they're striped bark scorpions. Bout 1.5" to 2" long, plus tail.

Mummy in the foothills Aug 12th 2010 3:38 am

Originally Posted by chartreuse (Post 8771143)
I think they're striped bark scorpions. Bout 1.5" to 2" long, plus tail.

Big!
So these are the ones that crawl in your boots and sting you and you will die?
I've stepped on a brown one, it hurt but was more like a bad bee sting. Now I don't walk through the rooms without the lights on at night.

chartreuse Aug 12th 2010 3:42 am

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 8771148)
Big!
So these are the ones that crawl in your boots and sting you and you will die?
I've stepped on a brown one, it hurt but was more like a bad bee sting. Now I don't walk through the rooms without the lights on at night.

I asked some locals and they're not deadly to people - bee stings were mentioned - but nobody is sure about cats.

Apparently the best way to spot them is with UV light, 'cos they fluoresce under it.

snowbunny Aug 12th 2010 3:50 am

You might ask your county extension agent or see what you can find on TAMU's site.

I've been stung twice by scorpions - it's not too bad.

http://www.peteducation.com/article....+1681&aid=2396

says that antivenins are rarely used in pets because most stings are not fatal.

Burn1911 Aug 12th 2010 4:25 am

**GASP** watch out kitties :ohmy:

dbj1000 Aug 12th 2010 4:38 am

Tactical nukes. It's the only language they understand.

Englishtart Aug 12th 2010 1:03 pm

Luckily, we never saw one while we were in TX, lots of fiddle backs, plenty of small snakes:blink: A friend of ours there used to see them all the time, she said they would chase her:eek::lol:

Protect the Kitties Catman! Kill the buggars (scorpions) dead!!:frown:

TexasPenguin Aug 12th 2010 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by chartreuse (Post 8771126)
Not the German band, the deadly creatures. OK, possibly not deadly to a grown man, but perhaps to a tiny kitten.

Anyway, we've found two in the house in the last couple of days - one upstairs in the bedroom, one downstairs in the lounge.

What are you supposed to do about stuff like this? Spray insecticide? Napalm the neighbourhood?

Wow! What an amazing co-incidence! At midnight last night I was woken up by a sharp pain in my face. Sleepily I switched the light on to see a 3-4" long scorpion (one of the biggest we've seen in the house) scurrying away over the back of my pillow. Ouch!

Our dog's been stung by one with no ill effects, not sure about something as small as a kitten.

We spoke to various pest exterminators in the past when we first had them in the house (we built a new house and apparently they hide in the bricks of a new build) but everyone said that these things are virtually impossible to kill with chemicals (they are hard enough to kill with a shoe!).

You get pretty adept at spotting the little buggers after a while.

Just another highlight of life in Texas, I'm afraid...

Duncan Roberts Aug 12th 2010 1:34 pm

Get John Travolta to race one at Thunder Road, they'll soon be off with their tails between their legs.

SDDep Aug 12th 2010 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by chartreuse (Post 8771126)

I vote for napalming the neighborhood...I'm sure some of the houses could do with a remodel anyway...oh sorry...its texas...the trailers...:D

ChocolateBabz Aug 12th 2010 2:09 pm

Thanks a lot for this thread not - I didn't get to sleep until after 1.30am this morning thinking about scorpions - hand't realised I had those to worry about too :sneaky:.

I thought my current earwig infiltration was bad enough - horrible little buggers trying to crawl into my lugs and lay their eggs - now I have to worry about scorpions crawling into my jimmy choos :blink:

traceym Aug 12th 2010 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by TexasPenguin (Post 8772165)
Wow! What an amazing co-incidence! At midnight last night I was woken up by a sharp pain in my face. Sleepily I switched the light on to see a 3-4" long scorpion (one of the biggest we've seen in the house) scurrying away over the back of my pillow. Ouch!

OMG, I cant believe you wrote ouch, if that was me I'd have to be sedated and locked in a loony bin for a month, and I'd never be able to sleep again!

You people are so brave, I'd be off never to return if one of those was in the house.

Nuke em that's what I say!