Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Sausages......

Sausages......

Old Jul 29th 2007, 3:57 pm
joycey

joyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud of
Wink Sausages......

Can anyone point me to a good recipe for plain old Bangers (Pork Sausages)?

We have an English shop fairly near us that supplies us with (secret) sausages (they're not supposed to sell frozen food) and they're okay, but a bit fatty and expensive, so I thought I'd try to make my own. I HATE American sausages, they just don't do the trick with beans and mash.

I suppose I would need a sausage machine and casing too...can anyone help or has anyone tried to make their own?

An added comment...nothing to do with the above....for anyone homesick for British weather, we went back for 3 weeks to put our house in London up for sale and it rained everyday solid...PLUS it was bloody freezing...we were so glad to get back to some warmth and sunshine.

Cheers all
Old Jul 29th 2007, 4:10 pm
Account Closed

southern comfort is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sausages......

Originally Posted by joyceygreen

We have an English shop fairly near us that supplies us with (secret) sausages (they're not supposed to sell frozen food) and they're okay, but a bit fatty and expensive, so I thought I'd try to make my own. I HATE American sausages, they just don't do the trick with beans and mash.

I suppose I would need a sausage machine and casing too...can anyone help or has anyone tried to make their own?

An added comment...nothing to do with the above....for anyone homesick for British weather, we went back for 3 weeks to put our house in London up for sale and it rained everyday solid...PLUS it was bloody freezing...we were so glad to get back to some warmth and sunshine.

Cheers all
http://www.sausagelinks.co.uk/Recipe_Making.asp
Old Jul 29th 2007, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joyceygreen

Cheers all
You can make patties, that avoids the casing bit. When my OH hads come around this morning I will get him to post his recipe in the recipe thread.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

It took 6 years before I would touch US sausages ..... then Kate was BBQing Italian Sweet sausages one day and talked me into trying one in a roll like a hot dog............... I am now addicted to them......... better than any Linconshire banger
Old Jul 29th 2007, 6:20 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
It took 6 years before I would touch US sausages ..... then Kate was BBQing Italian Sweet sausages one day and talked me into trying one in a roll like a hot dog............... I am now addicted to them......... better than any Linconshire banger
I quite a bit of Kielbasa myself ...
Old Jul 29th 2007, 6:38 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever is a US sausage? I only know of US breakfast ones and that can't be what you are talking about. The only other sausages would be either German, Polish or Italian.

P.S. I have had bangers both here in New York and in Ottawa, Canada. They were enjoyable. I've also had the beans UK style but prefer by sugary US ones.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 7:44 pm
Account Closed

southern comfort is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
Whatever is a US sausage? I only know of US breakfast ones and that can't be what you are talking about. The only other sausages would be either German, Polish or Italian.

P.S. I have had bangers both here in New York and in Ottawa, Canada. They were enjoyable. I've also had the beans UK style but prefer by sugary US ones.
US sausage is all the german polish italian ones etc ....our food is from all the countries of origin and assimilated into the culture nothing like a german Bratwurst cooked in beer
Old Jul 29th 2007, 8:08 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southern comfort
US sausage is all the german polish italian ones etc ....our food is from all the countries of origin and assimilated into the culture nothing like a german Bratwurst cooked in beer
I'm German and the only way my mother would prepare bratwurst was to boil it (if not prepared cooked) and then fry it in butter. A slab of dark German bread with butter, a little potato salad and you had a meal.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 8:10 pm
joycey

joyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by southern comfort
You are so right....however, none of the 'German' sausages taste like the ones you actually get in Germany and I have yet to find Kabanos which is one of my favourite Polish sausages.

No comment about the 'Italian' sausage that they provide here.

The closest to a 'Banger' would be their 'breakfast' sausage e.g. by Bob Evans...but it doesn't do the trick with mash and beans (got to be Heinz) and would be worse if I used them in Toad in the Hole.

So that's why I am resorting to making my own, not that I'm a great cook or anything, but I'll give it ago. I reckon I could make a batch and then freeze them. Thanks for the recipe link, If it works I'll let you all know...
Old Jul 29th 2007, 9:13 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

I might try one! And if I don't like it I'll come back to you and moan...sounds fair?
Old Jul 29th 2007, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

Amandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of light

I'm with you on the lack of good old bangers over here. Although I did try a 'traditional pork' sausage from my local HEB which was as close as I reckon I'm going to get. I would definatly eat it again..
Old Jul 29th 2007, 9:49 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
I'm German and the only way my mother would prepare bratwurst was to boil it (if not prepared cooked) and then fry it in butter. A slab of dark German bread with butter, a little potato salad and you had a meal.
have you ever been to the city of Regensburg, Bavaria? on the Danube there is a fabulous bratwurst tavern est 1146....i've been there a few times and they serve the best wursts EVER... apart from your Mum's by the sounds of things

http://www.wurstkuchl.de/index.php?id=3&L=1

btw their apple strudel is to die for
Old Jul 29th 2007, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

The Great British Sausage.

The Recipe

"These sausages can contain only 25 per cent real meat with the rest being made up of an unappetizing mix of water, pork fat, rusk, potato starch, soya protein concentrate, sodium, guar gum, antioxidants, sodium metabisul-phate and cochineal - all finely minced together.

"In fact the producers have to add pork fat to the mix to give the sausage any bite at all. And it doesn't stop there,"

From an article in the 'Independent'
Old Jul 29th 2007, 11:27 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by surly
The Great British Sausage.

The Recipe

"These sausages can contain only 25 per cent real meat with the rest being made up of an unappetizing mix of water, pork fat, rusk, potato starch, soya protein concentrate, sodium, guar gum, antioxidants, sodium metabisul-phate and cochineal - all finely minced together.

"In fact the producers have to add pork fat to the mix to give the sausage any bite at all. And it doesn't stop there,"

From an article in the 'Independent'
fwiw don't believe all you read in the papers

our local butchers in the uk makes his own sausages using a 100% rougher courser cut mince which is delicious and made with 100% meat... 80% lean meat with the remainder made up of fatty meat (eg belly pork if making pork bangers) to enhance the delicious flavour

in commercial sausages they make a very fine mince to diguise fatty low quality meat....oh yes i've studied bangers over the years
Old Jul 29th 2007, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
fwiw don't believe all you read in the papers

our local butchers in the uk makes his own sausages using a 100% rougher courser cut mince which is delicious and made with 100% meat... 80% lean meat with the remainder made up of fatty meat (eg belly pork if making pork bangers) to enhance the delicious flavour

in commercial sausages they make a very fine mince to diguise fatty low quality meat....oh yes i've studied bangers over the years
Except most people don't buy from your local butcher. They go to ASDA or Tesco
A sausage just made from 100% meat probable won't have a lot taste.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.