Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Sausages......

Sausages......

Old Aug 1st 2007, 12:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sausages......

Originally Posted by Irn-bru
exactly its always others never me

Old Aug 1st 2007, 2:51 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irn-bru
I was only joking re oldies as I said, I knew you meant that
And yes the tangents here are legendary!
Is this another attack on my advanced age ...
Old Aug 1st 2007, 5:45 am
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Is this another attack on my advanced age ...
Would you quit pretending you are old!! You are younger than my dad lol.
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

bugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond repute

Trader joes near us have just introduced a new line:irish bangers. they are made in chicago and the ingredients are roughly as follows: pork,water,bread crumbs, salt, white pepper and a few spices, and thats it!!!!!!, none of that BHA?stuff and other nonsense, anyway i got some about $4.50 for 6, cooked em up and had them with brown sauce on a butty.

Actually very nice, virtually no fat came out of them which could be a good sign! probably a touch more salt and a bit lesss water needed but so much better than those godawful brats that ive had here loaded with all kind of crap:MSG, BHA etc, etc.
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 7:25 pm
joycey

joyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Re: Sausages......

Thanks for that Bugman, sounds like they haven't got any sort of syrup or sugar in them too - which is a good thing. Every time I look at the ingredients in sausages here in the US, they've always got some sort of bloody sweet ingredient, which is a complete turn off.

I'll be off to Trader Vics then...Cheers, Joyce
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

bugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joyceygreen
Thanks for that Bugman, sounds like they haven't got any sort of syrup or sugar in them too - which is a good thing. Every time I look at the ingredients in sausages here in the US, they've always got some sort of bloody sweet ingredient, which is a complete turn off.

I'll be off to Trader Vics then...Cheers, Joyce
joyce, yes, amazingly no syrup, just what the hell is it with the USA and bloody sugar in everything, a conspiracy to keep doctors very busy!
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 11:50 pm
joycey

joyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud of

Yep - too much sugar going on here - how can you put them in sausages??? It's a crime. I also meant that I would be going to Trader Joe's and not Trader Vic's (I don't know where that came from - is it a Restaurant???) don't know. Also I learnt that it was in the news recently that in terms of obesity, the UK only 10 years behind the US in terms of obesity related health problems...how will the NHS cope with that?????On a twist and to hell with the original thread, which got shanghaid as usual...I notice your UK/NZ connection. What do you know about the Conchords...we think they are incredibly funny are they big stars in NZ???
Old Nov 4th 2007, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone point me to a good recipe for plain old Bangers (Pork Sausages)?

We have an English shop fairly near us that supplies us with (secret) sausages (they're not supposed to sell frozen food) and they're okay, but a bit fatty and expensive, so I thought I'd try to make my own. I HATE American sausages, they just don't do the trick with beans and mash.

I suppose I would need a sausage machine and casing too...can anyone help or has anyone tried to make their own?

An added comment...nothing to do with the above....for anyone homesick for British weather, we went back for 3 weeks to put our house in London up for sale and it rained everyday solid...PLUS it was bloody freezing...we were so glad to get back to some warmth and sunshine.

Cheers all
OH has a fab one will dig it out. The proof of the sausage is in the sage........... I wouldnt touch yanko sausages with yours.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bugman
Trader joes near us have just introduced a new line:irish bangers. they are made in chicago and the ingredients are roughly as follows: pork,water,bread crumbs, salt, white pepper and a few spices, and thats it!!!!!!, none of that BHA?stuff and other nonsense, anyway i got some about $4.50 for 6, cooked em up and had them with brown sauce on a butty.

Actually very nice, virtually no fat came out of them which could be a good sign! probably a touch more salt and a bit lesss water needed but so much better than those godawful brats that ive had here loaded with all kind of crap:MSG, BHA etc, etc.
Wholefoods do some Irish Bangers that are very much like British sausages - I wonder if they're the same? They're the best sausages I've had since I got here.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 1:44 am
joycey

Kins - Cheers - will also try theirs too. I'm trying to find that tase of UK Bangers and I don't care where they're made or where they come from - England, Ireland ...whatever, I just miss the tase and that's why I thought I would resort to trying to make my own..I really miss them which is stupid, but I can't seem to replace their taste with anything that I have tried here....People talk about their 'Polish' and 'Italian' sausages etc...etc...and they maybe nice...but I just want a 'Banger' - pure and simple.....
Old Nov 4th 2007, 3:33 am
medusas peligrosas

mozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond repute

... I'm trying to find that taste of UK Bangers and I don't care where they're made or where they come from - England, Ireland ...whatever, I just miss the taste and that's why I thought I would resort to trying to make my own..I really miss them which is stupid, but I can't seem to replace their taste with anything that I have tried here....People talk about their 'Polish' and 'Italian' sausages etc...etc...and they maybe nice...but I just want a 'Banger' - pure and simple.....
Hiya Joycey - the closest in taste to a "banger" that I've come across is the one that Sophia mentioned ... the Walmart brand of sausage that comes in a "chub" as my hubz puts it. Mind you, it's very greasy and has its fair share of gristly bitz. T'other one that I also like is Jimmy Dean pre cooked patties - they were having a tasting of those in Sam's Club a couple of weeks ago and they were quite yummy.

Did you ever get to making your own sausages? If so, how did they turn out? We have a Book of Sausages which has recipes from all over the world. Makes for some very interesting reading!
Old Nov 4th 2007, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

KentuckyYid is on a distinguished road

(I'm not reading all 4 pages of posts)

The Cumberland Ring/Sausage is the best British sausage by far. Lincolns don't even come close!

The thought of a real one (not the Tesco variety) is making me miss the Lake District even more so than the Penrith Toffee Shop (where Royalty buy their toffee & fudge)
http://www.thetoffeeshop.co.uk/ (you would not be disappointed...)
Old Nov 4th 2007, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

KentuckyYid is on a distinguished road

Yep - too much sugar going on here - how can you put them in sausages??? It's a crime. I also meant that I would be going to Trader Joe's and not Trader Vic's (I don't know where that came from - is it a Restaurant???) don't know. Also I learnt that it was in the news recently that in terms of obesity, the UK only 10 years behind the US in terms of obesity related health problems...how will the NHS cope with that?????On a twist and to hell with the original thread, which got shanghaid as usual...I notice your UK/NZ connection. What do you know about the Conchords...we think they are incredibly funny are they big stars in NZ???
It was a Polynesian (SP?) bar/restaurant in Londons Park Lane (ground floor) Hilton hotel.

Used to be a great night out.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 7:17 am
stara koka masna juha

cutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KentuckyYid
(I'm not reading all 4 pages of posts)

The Cumberland Ring/Sausage is the best British sausage by far. Lincolns don't even come close!

The thought of a real one (not the Tesco variety) is making me miss the Lake District even more so than the Penrith Toffee Shop (where Royalty buy their toffee & fudge)
http://www.thetoffeeshop.co.uk/ (you would not be disappointed...)
What about Sticky Toffee Puddy from Cartmel?
http://www.stickytoffeepudding.co.uk...n=cartmel_shop
mmmmmm the best
Old Nov 4th 2007, 8:37 am
Australian Citizen

Weirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond repute

Wonderful ...I thought it was only in the Aus forums people bang on about sausages - do you debate the price of lettuce too ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.