rootless!

Old Jun 17th 2006, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: rootless!

Originally Posted by DarrenP
Well, I don't like to dig up an oldish thread but I wanted to update folks on my situation 'cos I desperately need some sound advice on so many things! Things have gotten extremely complicated for me, but for the good I suppose. I guess I can't complain.

So even though I wanted to get into film computer graphics, the UK job fell through, and I ended up recently accepting a job at a startup videogame company here in silicon valley. I was really really reluctant about it, since the thought of spending another 3 years here fills me with horror, but It was sold to me on the basis that it would make me filthy rich. (It being a startup and them offering a lot of shares). My new 0-1 visa with the new company is being prepared now and is filing on tuesday of next week.

HOWEVER, absolutely unexpectedly I've been approached by Peter Jacksons company, Weta digital in Wellington, New Zealand. Had a phone interview today and things went really well. They'd want me out there in about 6 weeks. (which is kinda nice since that might allow me a quick UK visit first).
These guys win Oscars for chrissakes. This is my dream come true. With Weta on my CV/resume I could go anywhere. It doesn't get any better than Weta in my line of work. I figure I would only need to be there a year, but who knows what might happen.

So my decision comes down to kudos versus cash in some ways! I didnt want to go the startup co. I only went in on the hope that it would make me loaded someday, but this new option, it's a whole new adventure, in a beautiful country. Somethings are more important than $. But there are so many things racing around in my head that I have no clue where to find answers on.

1) If I decide to go with the NZ job, If I give a weeks notice to my current US employer, how long am I legally allowed to stay in the US? I need to sell a car, clear out an apartment, TONS of stuff. But If not working, my O-1 is invalid, so is there some kind of grace period? I have no clue with this stuff.

2) I have a LOT of money in a US bank account. How the hell do I get that out of the country, and what are the ramifications (tax or otherwise) for doing so?

3) What's Wellington like?!

4) How do I know that what W offer me is a competitive wage in NZ? I mean obviously I could convert to USD or whatever, but that doesn't give me an understanding in real terms of what it's worth versus the cost of living in NZ. What is considered a good wage in an NZ city?

5) I've signed a contract with the startup company. It's an at will contract, which means either of us can walk away at any time, but I'd have to pay them back all of the legal fees for the immigration lawyers. That's gonna be like several grand. Would it be the done thing to ask the new company to maybe help me cover some of that?!

6) How long do things like US ss numbers stay active for If you leave the country?

In short, I've got a gazillion questions and uncertainties. I've been in the US for six years. I don't really know how to leave the country with all loose ends tied up If you know what I mean. Can I keep a bank account etc or no?! It's all bloody scary, but quite exciting too. :scared:

any thoughts much appreciated! I'm totally stressing about everything, and need to make some absolute solid decisions by mid week.
Congratulations on your job offer. It sounds like you would be an idiot not to take it ! What an opportunity! Life is offering you something, you HAVE to take it otherwise you will regret it forever. Listen, put it in perspective. People come and go from the US all the time, every day. What you do is you make your decision (I'm going to NZ), then you take it step by step and do what you can do. Consult with an immigration attorney regarding your visa situation and maybe he/she would know about the contract issue. Consult with an accountant familiar with international situations regarding your money (maybe the attorney knows someone). It can all be worked out. You just have to take it a step at a time. Money comes and goes, but the kind of experience you will get in NZ is priceless. Good luck!