Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Road Trip Across The States

Road Trip Across The States

Old Feb 7th 2008, 12:36 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Road Trip Across The States

A website you might want to look at lists all scenic byways in America

http://www.byways.org/

I found out about 1 near us from that site, and I was not disappointed

From the website:

Why "Scenic" Byways?

Our definition of "scenic" reaches beyond breathtaking vistas. All of America's Byways® are "scenic", representing the depth and breadth of scenery in America--natural and man-made panoramas; electrifying neon landscapes; ancient and modern history coming alive; native arts and culture; and scenes of friends, families and strangers sharing their stories.

America's Byways® are gateways to adventures where no two experiences are the same. The National Scenic Byways Program invites you to come closer to America's heart and soul...
Old Feb 7th 2008, 12:38 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=ugacrew;5902337]
I'd like to add to the rule of Interstates in regards to the signage. If you look above the main sign you'll see smaller rectangle with the exit number. In the picture below on the left you'll see 'Exit 105A'. Notice that it's on the left side. That indicates what side of the road your exit is on.
QUOTE]

I've been here 4 years and didn't know that!!!!
Old Feb 7th 2008, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

My folks did a TrekAmerica tour. They thorouhgly enjoyed it. You don't have so much autonomy of where to go but you do cover a lot of miles and depending on the guide you might swing off to see some things that might not be apparent.
Eg. In Grand Canyon they didn't go to the main centre but to an Indian run centre and got a helicopter ride that allowed them out at the canyon floor. (Maybe not very green but breathtaking none the less. And in my ignorance these might be ten a penny or not)
There is an element of camping though and you'll be sharing a van with up to 8 or so other people who may or may not be agreeable.
Def worth a look though.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 1:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
I note that many self-serve gasoline pumps ask for the zip code [the US postal code] as a security measure. I don't know how they treat foreign cards.
I've never seen that...though they do pre-block a holding of $60 and then only transact what you spend, just to make sure you can cover the cost before hand...
Old Feb 7th 2008, 1:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Juswus;5902359]
Originally Posted by ugacrew
I'd like to add to the rule of Interstates in regards to the signage. If you look above the main sign you'll see smaller rectangle with the exit number. In the picture below on the left you'll see 'Exit 105A'. Notice that it's on the left side. That indicates what side of the road your exit is on.
QUOTE]

Maine will mess you up then, because they've only just intergrated the new number system over the last couple of years and some maps haven't updated the exit numbers
Old Feb 7th 2008, 1:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by millzey
After speaking to friends who have been over there for long periods of time i think now i will apply for a holiday visa which lets me work for 9 months so i can spend more time and get to know the people better.
Your thinking of the B1/2 visa? If your not of retirement age and from a country that can use the VWP, it's hard to come by and will be more hassle than it's worth if it gets denied.

You can do 90 days on the VWP...
Old Feb 7th 2008, 1:24 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juswus
More obviously indicated by the exit-only lane being on the left.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 1:27 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

From what ive been reading i think there is a lot more to america than from what i first thought. Once i have read the "Road Trip USA" book i think will make my mind up on landmarks i want to visit, but keep an open mind on the route i take.
You might find that one general guide such as this that coves the entire country good for planning your main route and get an idea of the main sights in the states in which you'll be traveling, but I'd recommend getting some regional guides to fine tune the route and take with you for reference.

There are many amazing local sights that simply can't fit into the country-wide guides. Things like great restaurants, museums or natural wonders (e.g. aside from the wonderful National Parks there are many breathtaking State Parks that can offer equally good experiences).

Personally I favour Lonely Planet guides as I think they offer more detail and more critical views than your Fodors etc. Rough Guides are nearly as good if there isn't an LP that covers where you want to go. LP's website is also a treasure-trove of info, and there's a good well-trafficked forum on there to ask detailed traveler-type questions.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 1:29 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
More obviously indicated by the exit-only lane being on the left.
Yeah....go and kill my example why don'tcha. Anyway, where was I. Yes, it's still a good tool nonetheless EVEN if there isn't a f***ing 'Exit Only' sign. Go ahead and miss your next exit.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 1:34 pm
lush

[QUOTE=Bob;5902444]
Originally Posted by Juswus
Maine will mess you up then, because they've only just intergrated the new number system over the last couple of years and some maps haven't updated the exit numbers
tell me about it! I had just figured out what was where, and at what exit number everything was, and then they changed the I-95 to exit numbers corresponding to miles
arrggghhhhhh
Old Feb 7th 2008, 1:52 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah....go and kill my example why don'tcha. Anyway, where was I. Yes, it's still a good tool nonetheless EVEN if there isn't a f***ing 'Exit Only' sign. Go ahead and miss your next exit.
Don't worry - everyone deserves a second chance. Here ya go!

Old Feb 7th 2008, 1:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all,
Im planning on taking Route 50(east to west) across the states in March 09. I was wondering if anyone has any useful tips or suggestions on what to go out of my way to see.

A few things which i would like to know are;

1. If i go sightseeing would a month be enough to get from coast to coast?
2. How much money should i realistically consider taking with me?
3. Will i need any visas or paperwork?
4. Is accommodation easy to come across on the road or should i pre-book?
5. Has anyone come across any websites with travellers blogs of this trip?

Cheers for taking the time to read this post.
If you do take Route 50 you'll be going right through my town (Cincinnati) and I'd be happy to give you some recommendations on things to do/see, where to eat, stay, etc.

Let us know if you think you'll still do that route, and I'll provide some info.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 2:00 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Another option could be to rent an RV, it wouldn't save you any money on accommodation, it's more a matter of whether it appeals to you..
Old Feb 7th 2008, 2:00 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Don't worry - everyone deserves a second chance. Here ya go!

http://www.mlbroadtrip.com/images/ph...tsburghhwy.jpg

THERE!

Old Feb 7th 2008, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I've never seen that...though they do pre-block a holding of $60 and then only transact what you spend, just to make sure you can cover the cost before hand...
My local Marathon station started the zip code validation thing several months ago. Some years ago when I gassed up in Toronto at a Petro-Canada they did a hold of about 70 bucks on my US-issued card; Visa called me to make sure I was only billed for the correct amount of gas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.