Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Road Trip Across The States

Wikiposts

Road Trip Across The States

Old Feb 7th 2008, 3:32 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Road Trip Across The States

I've just remembered that this company (which I think was originally founded by a few San Francisco-based hippies) does a variety of inexpensive coast-to-coast road trip tours of the USA (as well as trips to Alaska and Mexico):

http://www.greentortoise.com/

http://www.greentortoise.com/about.html

They do a 34 days USA Explorer Trip which goes to a lot of places and starts and ends in Boston or New York (then afterward you could perhaps take a cheap internal flight with Virgin America or JetBlue to visit other parts of the States:

http://www.greentortoise.com/adventu....explorer.html

There is a messageboard as well. It seems to have a lot of international participants. The 'Burning Man' festival looks totally wild LOL!
Old Feb 7th 2008, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Road Trip Across The States

If their tours are like their hostels then bring plenty of patience and a very relaxed attitude dudeeeeeeeeee!
I stayed in Seattle and San Fran and they were poor in terms of getting things doen for you. But they are kinda fun if you want to hang out with some 'interesting' people.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 1:37 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anabella
Another option could be to rent an RV, it wouldn't save you any money on accommodation, it's more a matter of whether it appeals to you..
Those things are well expensive and so is the petrol...
Old Feb 8th 2008, 1:42 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Those things are well expensive and so is the petrol...
Yeah - we looked into one of those once and it can be surprisingly difficult to find somewhere to park them too (lots of places you have to book well in advance and pay up front!) - we first thought they'd give us loads of flexibility but in fact they offer a lot less.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 1:58 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I've just remembered that this company (which I think was originally founded by a few San Francisco-based hippies) does a variety of inexpensive coast-to-coast road trip tours of the USA (as well as trips to Alaska and Mexico):

http://www.greentortoise.com/

http://www.greentortoise.com/about.html

They do a 34 days USA Explorer Trip which goes to a lot of places and starts and ends in Boston or New York (then afterward you could perhaps take a cheap internal flight with Virgin America or JetBlue to visit other parts of the States:

http://www.greentortoise.com/adventu....explorer.html

There is a messageboard as well. It seems to have a lot of international participants. The 'Burning Man' festival looks totally wild LOL!
Virgin Atlantic and Jet Blue aren't really the cheapest options and don't offer a enough destinations. Your best bet would be Southwest Airlines. They offer the best domestic service based on arrival rates. Plus the frequent flier program is excellent too. I love that airline.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 2:12 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Yeah - we looked into one of those once and it can be surprisingly difficult to find somewhere to park them too (lots of places you have to book well in advance and pay up front!) - we first thought they'd give us loads of flexibility but in fact they offer a lot less.
that's what walmart is for, free parking and a lot of them have hook ups...
Old Feb 8th 2008, 2:43 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
that's what walmart is for, free parking and a lot of them have hook ups...
You're joshing me? But what a dream... Coast-to-coast tour of Wal-marts!

Fantastic!
Old Feb 8th 2008, 3:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mayhemuk
My folks did a TrekAmerica tour.
I did a coast to coast Trek America too too back when I lived in the UK. I thought it was a great way to get introduced to America. I'm not really a group vacation kind of person, but the trip leader was excellent and the group interacted well (both these of risks of not working out so well, of course). Plus the leader had done many cross-country trips and she took us to loads of "off the tourist track" places that were fascinating. All in all I'd recommend it as a first US trip, particularly if you're hesitant about driving it all yourself.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 4:49 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Fantastic!
I'm sadly not
Old Feb 8th 2008, 4:54 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Fantastic!
I think you should go for it. Make the trip as cheesy as possible. Stop off at bizarre road stops. The weirder the better. For instance if you are in South Carolina stop of at 'South of the Border' for some kitsch. Go to Graceland in Tennessee. Take a photo at a gator museum in Louisiana. Shake it up a bit.

EDIT: Don't forget to wear an outlandish sombrero and a Hawaiian shirt on your journey.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 5:12 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew
I think you should go for it. Make the trip as cheesy as possible. Stop off at bizarre road stops. The weirder the better. For instance if you are in South Carolina stop of at 'South of the Border' for some kitsch. Go to Graceland in Tennessee. Take a photo at a gator museum in Louisiana. Shake it up a bit.

EDIT: Don't forget to wear an outlandish sombrero and a Hawaiian shirt on your journey.

Branson.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 5:15 am
Riding on silver wings

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Branson.
Yeah!!! That's the spirit. Go to Branson. Buy some crap from one of the dollar stores. Maybe a back scratcher or big ass pencil. Go see Shoji. If you go there you'll see a crap load of billboards advertising him. Have fun at a mini fun park with go-karting and mini-golf. You are right on target ABY
Old Feb 8th 2008, 5:26 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah!!! That's the spirit. Go to Branson. Buy some crap from one of the dollar stores. Maybe a back scratcher or big ass pencil. Go see Shoji. If you go there you'll see a crap load of billboards advertising him. Have fun at a mini fun park with go-karting and mini-golf. You are right on target ABY
Attached Thumbnails Road Trip Across The States-image001-5.jpg   Road Trip Across The States-shojicdcover%2520-2%2520cd%2520set-.jpg  
Old Feb 8th 2008, 5:28 am
Septic Sprout

Actually been to a couple of those!!!

South of the Border - very tacky and grubby round the edges (a shit-hole in the nicest possible way!)

Graceland - been twice, and not even an Elvis fan! Great fun.

Speaking of tacky, Mrs tonrob wanted to go and eyeball Heath Ledger's apartment while in NYC last weekend - managed to dissuade her thankfully and steer her towards the nearest good beer bar!
Old Feb 8th 2008, 5:32 am
Riding on silver wings

Actually been to a couple of those!!!

South of the Border - very tacky and grubby round the edges (a shit-hole in the nicest possible way!)

Graceland - been twice, and not even an Elvis fan! Great fun.

Speaking of tacky, Mrs tonrob wanted to go and eyeball Heath Ledger's apartment while in NYC last weekend - managed to dissuade her thankfully and steer her towards the nearest good beer bar!
That's why I chose South of the Border. How can you not go having read all those funny billboard signs telling you not to miss it.

I'm glad you persuaded Mrs. tonrob from seeing Heath's place. That's a bit morbid because his death was so recent. Good decision on making it a microbrewpub.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.