Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Road Trip Across The States

Wikiposts

Road Trip Across The States

Old Feb 8th 2008, 5:35 am
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Road Trip Across The States

Originally Posted by ugacrew
I think you should go for it. Make the trip as cheesy as possible. Stop off at bizarre road stops. The weirder the better. For instance if you are in South Carolina stop of at 'South of the Border' for some kitsch. Go to Graceland in Tennessee. Take a photo at a gator museum in Louisiana. Shake it up a bit.

EDIT: Don't forget to wear an outlandish sombrero and a Hawaiian shirt on your journey.
If you're in GA, do forget to see the Big Chicken and "See Rock City"
Old Feb 8th 2008, 5:38 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

That's why I chose South of the Border. How can you not go having read all those funny billboard signs telling you not to miss it.
I know! I think the signs started just after Miami!!
Old Feb 8th 2008, 5:40 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof
Don't forget Ruby Falls right after Chattanooga, TN.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 5:49 am
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget Ruby Falls right after Chattanooga, TN.
Or Helen in north GA, it's just like Bavaria, no really it is...
Old Feb 8th 2008, 7:36 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

There is the exception to Interstate exits that are numbered. You'll find in California that they aren't numbered. They'll most likely have a name and that's it.
Hi:

Numbering of exits is intermittent in California. In Los Angeles they are most often are not, but you get out of LA and then they are.

Also, sometimes, Highways and Interstates will have names which don't necessarily match. For example, outside our window we can see the Hollywood Freeway which is US 101. However, US 101 goes north onto the Ventura Freeway while the Hollywood Freeway turns into CA 170. North of San Francisco, US 101 is called the Redwood Highway. However, I've noted that the names have fallen into disuse.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 7:43 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Numbering of exits is intermittent in California. In Los Angeles they are most often are not, but you get out of LA and then they are.

Also, sometimes, Highways and Interstates will have names which don't necessarily match. For example, outside our window we can see the Hollywood Freeway which is US 101. However, US 101 goes north onto the Ventura Freeway while the Hollywood Freeway turns into CA 170. North of San Francisco, US 101 is called the Redwood Highway. However, I've noted that the names have fallen into disuse.
Apparently California is in the process of adopting the change to numeric exits. This is from past personal research on the Interstate System.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 7:44 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by zargof
Hi:

Rock City still exists! However, those old barn signs are slowly disappearing. See http://www.americanheritage.com/arti...00_2_106.shtml

Myself, I miss the old "Burma Shave" signs. They were already old when I was a kid, but we delighted in them on road trips.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 9:52 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to add to the rule of Interstates in regards to the signage. If you look above the main sign you'll see smaller rectangle with the exit number. In the picture below on the left you'll see 'Exit 105A'. Notice that it's on the left side. That indicates what side of the road your exit is on. That way you won't miss your exit and end up going around the world to correct your mistake.

http://trianglesigns.org/pictures/hi...outhsquare.jpg

Also pay attention to the exit numbers themselves. They are a key indicator of how many miles left in the current state that you are in how many miles you've gone or have left to go.

There is the exception to Interstate exits that are numbered. You'll find in California that they aren't numbered. They'll most likely have a name and that's it.

Definitely go with AAA. You can get great discounts along the way. See if your job offers a discount. Otherwise it's worth the $50 enrollment fee. It will pay for itself during your roadtrip.
Wierd. I just drove on that stretch of road today. In NC, they like to give roads at least two names. Three's not that unusual either. Kinda irritating if you're not familiar with this "system".
Old Feb 12th 2008, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I've just remembered that this company (which I think was originally founded by a few San Francisco-based hippies) does a variety of inexpensive coast-to-coast road trip tours of the USA (as well as trips to Alaska and Mexico):

http://www.greentortoise.com/

http://www.greentortoise.com/about.html

They do a 34 days USA Explorer Trip which goes to a lot of places and starts and ends in Boston or New York (then afterward you could perhaps take a cheap internal flight with Virgin America or JetBlue to visit other parts of the States:

http://www.greentortoise.com/adventu....explorer.html

There is a messageboard as well. It seems to have a lot of international participants. The 'Burning Man' festival looks totally wild LOL!
I did one of these trips a long time ago, so they might have changed since then. I'd say don't do it unless you're under 22 and really like other people's company. The buses are pretty packed, and get filthy.

On the other hand I had a massive amount of fun on my trip from NY to San Francisco via Florida and Big Bend, and one of the great things about it was the drivers taking us to their favourite places.

The most memorable night was when the bus broke down and we stayed two days and a night in a truck parking lot in El Paso. We went over the border to the banos dos vapores (?) and came out feeling cleaner than we had in weeks, then put on some new Levis that cost about $12, and got completely hammered on tequila.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 12:30 am

Lord Knows is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah!!! That's the spirit. Go to Branson. Buy some crap from one of the dollar stores. Maybe a back scratcher or big ass pencil. Go see Shoji. If you go there you'll see a crap load of billboards advertising him. Have fun at a mini fun park with go-karting and mini-golf. You are right on target ABY

If time allows you will need to fit this stop in your schedule....for two reasons

http://www.catsupbottle.com/
http://www.horseradishfestival.com/
Old Feb 13th 2008, 3:55 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

This is the way to go Coast to Coast across the USA, it takes about 2 months with time for rest and sightseeing. Click on any of the numerous links to read an adventure

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/c...octype=journal
Old Feb 14th 2008, 9:02 am
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I've just remembered that this company (which I think was originally founded by a few San Francisco-based hippies) does a variety of inexpensive coast-to-coast road trip tours of the USA (as well as trips to Alaska and Mexico):

http://www.greentortoise.com/

http://www.greentortoise.com/about.html

They do a 34 days USA Explorer Trip which goes to a lot of places and starts and ends in Boston or New York (then afterward you could perhaps take a cheap internal flight with Virgin America or JetBlue to visit other parts of the States:

http://www.greentortoise.com/adventu....explorer.html

There is a messageboard as well. It seems to have a lot of international participants. The 'Burning Man' festival looks totally wild LOL!

Hahahaha...it says they stop for lots of smoke breaks.....I BET THEY DO!!!