Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Rights as a Resident?

Rights as a Resident?

Old Jun 15th 2011, 12:28 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rights as a Resident?

Originally Posted by lyonsden1193
As a PR you have one right that USC living here don't have.
The right to be deported!!
Your comment makes it crystal clear that you don't understand the meaning of the word "right".

Overall I see the advantage of being a PR ... I don't have to do Jury duty...
If you really believe this, I truly feel sorry for you! There are, literally, millions of people who would give their right arm for an opportunity to participate in their country's judicial process... and you snub your nose at it. Bloody apathetic.

Ian
Old Jun 15th 2011, 12:56 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shaolin_Dragon
Yes, same here. When I tell the fam that I now own two firearms and a license to carry, they dont understand how its legal! Plus, they dont understand why I have them...but thats a whole different story.

But is their lack of understanding about your "desire" to own them or your right to purchase them.

From reading these forums over the last 10 years it seems many Brits can't wait to purchase fire arms once they are able to do just that.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 12:58 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
If you really believe this, I truly feel sorry for you! There are, literally, millions of people who would give their right arm for an opportunity to participate in their country's judicial process... and you snub your nose at it. Bloody apathetic.

Ian
To be fair, Ian, many Americans feel the same way. Everyone screams for justice and then refuse to participate for any number of personal and financial reasons.

I've found out that I have been permanently excluded from jury duty because of my hearing impairment. Glad that I had been able to serve though in county, state and federal juries before my impairment became profound.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 2:15 pm
Daft.. not Stoopid

lyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud of

Your comment makes it crystal clear that you don't understand the meaning of the word "right".

Ian
Come to Memphis and let me use your car to go downtown for jury duty. After you have had youre car either smacked or stolen and been hassled by panhandlers every day.. is not apathetic... I have also spent 4 weeks watching a case involving my boss and if you see how the court system works round here you would change your mind.

As far as Deportation that was a joke ...man!!!

It comes from having dealt with a little P*** at Miami airport that told me I could be deported for not writing my address on one of their tags for my luggage... having just been informed of a seven hour delay, I asked if that meant i woulds be put on an earlier flight!
Old Jun 15th 2011, 2:25 pm
Just Joined

Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point

Permanent Residents are able to legally buy and own firearms. I was a Green Card holder and Federal Firearms dealer at the same time.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 12:42 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Come to Memphis and let me use your car to go downtown for jury duty. After you have had youre car either smacked or stolen and been hassled by panhandlers every day.. is not apathetic...
It sounds like you'd simply prefer to live elsewhere. You should pursue that. You're so concerned about how it affects you... when I'm talking about something bigger than that. It's not only apathetic, it's petty!

I have also spent 4 weeks watching a case involving my boss and if you see how the court system works round here you would change your mind.
I'm sorry... but you just don't get it - and I just don't care enough about you to try to explain it.

Ian
Old Jun 16th 2011, 12:50 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

And just as many people who try and get out of it, so what's your point?
Old Jun 16th 2011, 12:54 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve Collins
Permanent Residents are able to legally buy and own firearms. I was a Green Card holder and Federal Firearms dealer at the same time.
Depends on the state. Not every state is the same.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 1:09 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bob
And just as many people who try and get out of it, so what's your point?
The point is that people have an opportunity to participate in the process. People should be ashamed to not serve on a jury when they have the chance. That's the point.

Ian
Old Jun 16th 2011, 1:55 am
Banned

Ant Farm is an unknown quantity at this point

As a PR you have one right that USC living here don't have.
The right to be deported!!

Overall I see the advantage of being a PR ... I don't have to do Jury duty...
$11 a day here .. oh and it costs $7 a day to park.
I understand that your employer is required to pay you if you are called for jury duty here.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 12:03 pm
Daft.. not Stoopid

lyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ant Farm
I understand that your employer is required to pay you if you are called for jury duty here.
Not in TN.. most will avoid it.. Big Employers like fed ex pay but others don't.

My wife done it 2 years ago and found that virtually no provision to assist the disabled and the court people she spoke to admitted that the system around here is broken.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 12:17 pm
Daft.. not Stoopid

It sounds like you'd simply prefer to live elsewhere. You should pursue that. You're so concerned about how it affects you... when I'm talking about something bigger than that. It's not only apathetic, it's petty!

I'm sorry... but you just don't get it - and I just don't care enough about you to try to explain it.

Ian
Absolutely no need for a personal attack. I have my opinion and you have yours, that is how this system works, differing opinions make the system whole. Your comments are part of the problem not the solution, what your saying is ...if I don't agree with your view then i'm apathetic and I don't get it! if the system works where you are then.. great. Around here it is somewhat suspect and still very divided by race. I only live here because of my wife and her family.. Memphis was never my choice ... but for the love of a good woman some things are compromised on.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 12:52 pm
Account Closed

... but for the love of a good woman some things are compromised on.
Well, we can certainly agree on that!

Ian
Old Jun 16th 2011, 4:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

The point is that people have an opportunity to participate in the process. People should be ashamed to not serve on a jury when they have the chance. That's the point.

Ian
Why should they?

It can come as a big expense to them and certainly be a lot of hassle.

Get a long trial, even one of a few days could be a massive hardship on someone, the parking costs alone, never mind if they have to pay for childcare could be crippling and they wouldn't be poor enough to be exempt, or they might not get paid for time off work to do it. They certainly don't get paid enough by the state to participate.

The theory is all well and good in fairy land, but the reality is, it's just a PIA for most people who aren't either retired or well above the breadline.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 4:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Ant Farm
No.

They're required to give you time off for jury duty, it does not need to be paid. Also not to say they won't just fire you if the trial is a long one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.