British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Renouncing British citizenship (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/renouncing-british-citizenship-708342/)

JAJ Aug 25th 2012 2:29 am

Re: Renouncing British citizenship

Originally Posted by marmaladecat1 (Post 10245383)
It was a quick process, less than a month or so.

I renounced so that I could join the US military in order to lessen the burden of dental school debt, and planned on regaining citizenship after my US military stint was over. I was clear about this when contacting the British embassy. They assured me I could regain full status as a citizen one time. Perfect, right?

Untrue in fact. Entitlement to registration is only for those who renounced to acquire or retain another citizenship.

Renunciation for career reasons does not carry an entitlement to resume, although it may be considered at the discretion of the Secretary of State. For details on the policy, see Chapter 17 of the Nationality Instructions.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/po...ctions/nivol1/

No. I still regret it. I did re-gain UK citizenship. After the oath ceremony I asked how I can ensure my unborn daughter to be will also be able to become a citizen of the UK. I was immediately told that while I was just assured that I have regained my "previous citizenship status", I now can not pass on my citizenship to any children. i.e. I do not have the same status.
Untrue. If you were a British citizen otherwise than by descent before renunciation, you become a British citizen otherwise than by descent upon resumption.

Or are you asking about a child born in the window of time when you were not a British citizen?

They did assure me however, that my children will be allowed to live and work in the UK as long as I am also in the UK.
If not British citizens, or EEA/Swiss citizens, they will always need the appropriate settlement visa.

marmaladecat1 Aug 25th 2012 2:58 am

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 10245395)
Untrue in fact. Entitlement to registration is only for those who renounced to acquire or retain another citizenship.

Renunciation for career reasons does not carry an entitlement to resume, although it may be considered at the discretion of the Secretary of State. For details on the policy, see Chapter 17 of the Nationality Instructions.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/po...ctions/nivol1/

Untrue. If you were a British citizen otherwise than by descent before renunciation, you become a British citizen otherwise than by descent upon resumption.

Or are you asking about a child born in the window of time when you were not a British citizen?

If not British citizens, or EEA/Swiss citizens, they will always need the appropriate settlement visa.

JAJ, Thank you for your swift and authoritative reply. I appreciate it.

I'm happy to have citizenship back at all from what you say.

If I may ask- given your apparent knowledge on the subject - do you think I will be able to pass on citizenship to my daughter? I had regained UK citizenship a few months before she was born.
By the way, I was born in the UK to British parents.

If you have the time, I'd appreciate your opinion.

Sincerely,

P.

JAJ Aug 25th 2012 3:29 am

Originally Posted by marmaladecat1 (Post 10245410)
If I may ask- given your apparent knowledge on the subject - do you think I will be able to pass on citizenship to my daughter? I had regained UK citizenship a few months before she was born.
By the way, I was born in the UK to British parents.

So you have a Certificate of Registration as a British citizen under section 13(3) of the British Nationality Act that's dated before she was born?

If that's the case it appears she is a British citizen by descent (since you were born in the U.K.). You should get her a consular birth certificate and then a British passport to document this.

Of course, if there are other complications, such as if she was born before July 2006 and you are an unmarried father, then further formalities will be required before she turns 18 for her to be British.

kayinaz Aug 25th 2012 4:25 am

It was a quick process, less than a month or so.

I renounced so that I could join the US military in order to lessen the burden of dental school debt, and planned on regaining citizenship after my US military stint was over. I was clear about this when contacting the British embassy. They assured me I could regain full status as a citizen one time. Perfect, right?

No. I still regret it. I did re-gain UK citizenship. After the oath ceremony I asked how I can ensure my unborn daughter to be will also be able to become a citizen of the UK. I was immediately told that while I was just assured that I have regained my "previous citizenship status", I now can not pass on my citizenship to any children. i.e. I do not have the same status.

I don't feel this was made clear to me given that I stated that I will only cease to be British for a short while.

They did assure me however, that my children will be allowed to live and work in the UK as long as I am also in the UK. Considering what had happened until then I am not convinced that even that is true.

So, my advice is obvious: don't renounce unless you really have to. UK citizenship is too precious a thing to place in jeopardy.

Short question, long answer. I hope this helps.

P.

Thank you so much for your answer! I know he can reapply for it if he wants to later but now it will be the best thing for him.

marmaladecat1 Aug 25th 2012 4:55 am

JAJ,

Thank you for your response!

I do have a "Certificate of Registration as a British Citizen" for myself dated June 2010, before my daughter was born. It is labeled Section 13(1) rather than the Section 13(3) you described. Do you know if that is important?

She was born September 2010 to married parents, so thankfully matters ought to be straightforward.

Thank you again for your detailed and informative replies, they are truly appreciated.

Sincerely,

P.

JAJ Aug 25th 2012 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by marmaladecat1 (Post 10245486)
JAJ,

Thank you for your response!

I do have a "Certificate of Registration as a British Citizen" for myself dated June 2010, before my daughter was born. It is labeled Section 13(1) rather than the Section 13(3) you described. Do you know if that is important?

Section 13(1) is the entitlement (once only) for those who renounced to acquire/retain another citizenship. It sounds like you weren't eligible under this subsection if you renounced for career reasons, however now that you have been re-registered it is still probably a valid decision and cannot be nullified.

Did you have to attend a citizenship ceremony at the British Consulate/Embassy to get your certificate?

She was born September 2010 to married parents, so thankfully matters ought to be straightforward.
I would expect so. If you want her to have evidence of her British citizenship, you have to go ahead and apply for it.

Bob Aug 25th 2012 8:52 pm

I renounced so that I could join the US military in order to lessen the burden of dental school debt

Why bother? It's not required, to join the US military, just a greencard at minimum.

ldollard Aug 28th 2012 1:21 am

I have no idea why anyone in their right mind would give up their UK citizenship for any reason, how insane is that?

As many have said you are not required to give up you UK citizenship to join the military. I asked a recruiter that same question and told him under no circumstances would i ever give it up and would that be an issue, i was told no it wouldn't be, except for some high clearance jobs, it might cause issues.

But I go back to my original comment, why would you ever do such a fool hardy thing, you not only renounce your UK citizenship, but you also give up the whole of Europe in terms of living and working in over 20 other countries.

Then you find out this will affect your daughter after the fact, sounds like you did zero research on this before you gave it up. Personally I find that shocking, dont mean to bitch you out, but its a little wacky.