British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Renouncing British citizenship (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/renouncing-british-citizenship-708342/)

pineapple2oo9 Mar 7th 2011 7:24 pm

Renouncing British citizenship

I'm a naturalized American citizen trying to apply for security clearance in the US. I was told by my SGT that the naturalization process does not automatically renounce British citizenship and my security clearance is being blocked because I have it. (I am taking what she says with a pinch of salt as she is not 100%). I would hate to have to renounce my citizenship but it is imperative for my career that I obtain a clearance.

Anyway, is there anyone out there that can verify it's true? I also tried calling my nearest consulate (Atlanta ph:404 954 7700) and no matter what option I press it ends up in an annoying automated message and never allows you to speak to somebody. Does anyone have an alternative number?
I'd just go down there if it didn't mean a 7 hour round trip and a day booked off work ;/

Thanks in advance

Ash UK/US Mar 7th 2011 7:33 pm

Re: Renouncing British citizenship

I have never heard of that happening before. Did you enter the US on your UK passport after you became a citizen?

meauxna Mar 7th 2011 7:35 pm

Start with this thread.. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=663668
There have been several discussions on this topic and some are linked in there.
If you get done with that, you can google
secret clearance site:britishexpats.com for more. :)

Duncan Roberts Mar 7th 2011 7:55 pm

The naturalization doesn't renounce your UK citizenship, there are forms to fill in, fees to pay and people to see at the UK embassy for that. As to your UK citizenship blocking your US security clearance, I guess you would have to talk to the people processing it to find out for sure.

Michael Mar 7th 2011 8:04 pm

http://www.clearancejobs.com/cleared...ity-clearances

Guideline C does not specifically indicate that the mere existence of dual citizenship is a potentially disqualifying condition. It uses the words “exercise” and “acts,” indicating there must be conduct that demonstrates a preference for a foreign country. However, Guideline C lists mitigating conditions for dual citizenship unrelated to conduct, thereby implying that dual citizenship by itself is a potential security concern. Merely having dual citizenship will not automatically result in a security clearance denial, nor will simply renouncing foreign citizenship necessarily result in a security clearance approval. Generally people who acquired dual citizenship at birth and have done nothing to obtain recognition of the foreign citizenship will encounter little or no problem in obtaining a clearance unless there are other security issues in their case.

There are many people in the government with the highest security clearance that have dual citizenship (especially in the executive branch).

Bob Mar 7th 2011 8:12 pm

Thing is, even renouncing UK citizenship might not do any good if still have ties to the UK such as friends/family/property etc.

pineapple2oo9 Mar 7th 2011 11:18 pm

Thanks for all the information and links to threads. There seems to be a lot of conflicting information out there.
Has anyone ever successfully managed to get hold of the Atlanta office? I'm quite certain there's no actual people there, just large automated answering services :mad:

md95065 Mar 8th 2011 12:11 am

Originally Posted by pineapple2oo9 (Post 9224560)
Has anyone ever successfully managed to get hold of the Atlanta office? I'm quite certain there's no actual people there, just large automated answering services :mad:

You might want to send a private message to Dean Churm who posts on here under the name British Consul - he is in Florida but should be able to help you figure out how to get in touch with a real person who can answer your questions.

British Consul Mar 8th 2011 2:01 am

Originally Posted by pineapple2oo9 (Post 9224560)
Thanks for all the information and links to threads. There seems to be a lot of conflicting information out there.

I could tell you what the answer is, but that large automated answering service also tells you where you need to look.....

But, if you're required to renounce your British nationality, then read this http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...d/citizenship/

If you just need to return your British passport and get a letter confirming that you have done so, then follow the process here http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...shing-passport

We can't tell you what you need to do (that's between you and Uncle Sam).

Hope this helps.

Dean

AdobePinon Mar 8th 2011 2:50 am

I would advise you to get more information before proceeding if UK citizenship is important to you. Often, a request to renounce UK citizenship is triggered by an underlying reason that may not be resolved by renouncing UK citizenship.

marmaladecat1 Mar 19th 2011 4:53 am

I too tried to join the military in the US (to mitigate student loan debt). I was also told that I needed to renounce my cherished UK citizenship. I read about it and learnt that I can do this once and then regain it. I did so.

However, my wife became pregnant and I lost interest in the military route. I regained my citizenship without any problems. After the ceremony I was asked if I had any questions. I asked how I could ensure my daughter could gain British citizenship. The lady quickly told me that my future children - as I had renounced my citizenship - could NOT be British citizens. I was heartbroken.

Sadly, despite having explained my story prior to the ceremony this was not mentioned... until it was too late.

JAJ Mar 19th 2011 5:15 am

Originally Posted by marmaladecat1 (Post 9249662)
However, my wife became pregnant and I lost interest in the military route. I regained my citizenship without any problems. After the ceremony I was asked if I had any questions. I asked how I could ensure my daughter could gain British citizenship. The lady quickly told me that my future children - as I had renounced my citizenship - could NOT be British citizens. I was heartbroken.

All is not lost ... you can apply to the Home Office (via the Embassy) for your daughter to be registered as a British citizen. As long as she is under 18. And also assumes you were born in Britain.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...nupandresumed/

By the way, you weren't entitled to get your British citizenship back, as you didn't renounce it to obtain or retain another citizenship. You got it back under discretionary provisions.

alextemple Mar 19th 2011 5:20 am

Originally Posted by marmaladecat1 (Post 9249662)
I too tried to join the military in the US (to mitigate student loan debt). I was also told that I needed to renounce my cherished UK citizenship. I read about it and learnt that I can do this once and then regain it. I did so.

Sadly, despite having explained my story prior to the ceremony this was not mentioned... until it was too late.

Wow, you got screwed. I joined the US army to help me pay for college. I was actually a PR at the time and then later (after a year) took citizenship as the fee is waived if you have military service. I just checked goarmy.com and it still does not require you to be a citizen or to renounce citizenship.

tigerbob Mar 19th 2011 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by pineapple2oo9 (Post 9224068)
I'm a naturalized American citizen trying to apply for security clearance in the US. I was told by my SGT that the naturalization process does not automatically renounce British citizenship and my security clearance is being blocked because I have it. (I am taking what she says with a pinch of salt as she is not 100%). I would hate to have to renounce my citizenship but it is imperative for my career that I obtain a clearance.

Anyway, is there anyone out there that can verify it's true? I also tried calling my nearest consulate (Atlanta ph:404 954 7700) and no matter what option I press it ends up in an annoying automated message and never allows you to speak to somebody. Does anyone have an alternative number?
I'd just go down there if it didn't mean a 7 hour round trip and a day booked off work ;/

Thanks in advance

Try calling the USCIS. They should certainly know what the deal is on this, and when I've called them I've always managed to get human rather than machine response. 1 800 375 5283.

JAJ Mar 19th 2011 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by tigerbob (Post 9250155)
Try calling the USCIS. They should certainly know what the deal is on this, and when I've called them I've always managed to get human rather than machine response. 1 800 375 5283.

They will NOT "know the deal" on this.