Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Renouncing British citizenship

Renouncing British citizenship

Old Mar 7th 2011, 7:24 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 14
pineapple2oo9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renouncing British citizenship

I'm a naturalized American citizen trying to apply for security clearance in the US. I was told by my SGT that the naturalization process does not automatically renounce British citizenship and my security clearance is being blocked because I have it. (I am taking what she says with a pinch of salt as she is not 100%). I would hate to have to renounce my citizenship but it is imperative for my career that I obtain a clearance.

Anyway, is there anyone out there that can verify it's true? I also tried calling my nearest consulate (Atlanta ph:404 954 7700) and no matter what option I press it ends up in an annoying automated message and never allows you to speak to somebody. Does anyone have an alternative number?
I'd just go down there if it didn't mean a 7 hour round trip and a day booked off work ;/

Thanks in advance
pineapple2oo9 is offline  
Old Mar 7th 2011, 7:33 pm
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
 
Ash UK/US's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 4,524
Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renouncing British citizenship

I have never heard of that happening before. Did you enter the US on your UK passport after you became a citizen?
Ash UK/US is offline  
Old Mar 7th 2011, 7:35 pm
  #3  
 
meauxna's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 35,082
meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renouncing British citizenship

Start with this thread.. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=663668
There have been several discussions on this topic and some are linked in there.
If you get done with that, you can google
secret clearance site:britishexpats.com for more.
meauxna is offline  
Old Mar 7th 2011, 7:55 pm
  #4  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Duncan Roberts's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Avon Lake, OH
Posts: 5,270
Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renouncing British citizenship

The naturalization doesn't renounce your UK citizenship, there are forms to fill in, fees to pay and people to see at the UK embassy for that. As to your UK citizenship blocking your US security clearance, I guess you would have to talk to the people processing it to find out for sure.
Duncan Roberts is offline  
Old Mar 7th 2011, 8:04 pm
  #5  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Michael's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 10,678
Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renouncing British citizenship

http://www.clearancejobs.com/cleared...ity-clearances

Guideline C does not specifically indicate that the mere existence of dual citizenship is a potentially disqualifying condition. It uses the words “exercise” and “acts,” indicating there must be conduct that demonstrates a preference for a foreign country. However, Guideline C lists mitigating conditions for dual citizenship unrelated to conduct, thereby implying that dual citizenship by itself is a potential security concern. Merely having dual citizenship will not automatically result in a security clearance denial, nor will simply renouncing foreign citizenship necessarily result in a security clearance approval. Generally people who acquired dual citizenship at birth and have done nothing to obtain recognition of the foreign citizenship will encounter little or no problem in obtaining a clearance unless there are other security issues in their case.

There are many people in the government with the highest security clearance that have dual citizenship (especially in the executive branch).

Last edited by Michael; Mar 7th 2011 at 8:09 pm.
Michael is offline  
Old Mar 7th 2011, 8:12 pm
  #6  
Bob
BE Site Lead
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 91,729
Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renouncing British citizenship

Thing is, even renouncing UK citizenship might not do any good if still have ties to the UK such as friends/family/property etc.
Bob is offline  
Old Mar 7th 2011, 11:18 pm
  #7  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 14
pineapple2oo9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Renouncing British citizenship

Thanks for all the information and links to threads. There seems to be a lot of conflicting information out there.
Has anyone ever successfully managed to get hold of the Atlanta office? I'm quite certain there's no actual people there, just large automated answering services
pineapple2oo9 is offline  
Old Mar 8th 2011, 12:11 am
  #8  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Posts: 4,896
md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renouncing British citizenship

Originally Posted by pineapple2oo9 View Post
Has anyone ever successfully managed to get hold of the Atlanta office? I'm quite certain there's no actual people there, just large automated answering services
You might want to send a private message to Dean Churm who posts on here under the name British Consul - he is in Florida but should be able to help you figure out how to get in touch with a real person who can answer your questions.
md95065 is offline  
Old Mar 8th 2011, 2:01 am
  #9  
BE Enthusiast
 
British Consul's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 383
British Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Renouncing British citizenship

Originally Posted by pineapple2oo9 View Post
Thanks for all the information and links to threads. There seems to be a lot of conflicting information out there.
Has anyone ever successfully managed to get hold of the Atlanta office? I'm quite certain there's no actual people there, just large automated answering services
I could tell you what the answer is, but that large automated answering service also tells you where you need to look.....

But, if you're required to renounce your British nationality, then read this http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...d/citizenship/

If you just need to return your British passport and get a letter confirming that you have done so, then follow the process here http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...shing-passport

We can't tell you what you need to do (that's between you and Uncle Sam).

Hope this helps.

Dean
British Consul is offline  
Old Mar 8th 2011, 2:50 am
  #10  
Powder Maggot
 
AdobePinon's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 4,443
AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renouncing British citizenship

I would advise you to get more information before proceeding if UK citizenship is important to you. Often, a request to renounce UK citizenship is triggered by an underlying reason that may not be resolved by renouncing UK citizenship.
AdobePinon is offline  
Old Mar 19th 2011, 4:53 am
  #11  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Wheaton, IL
Posts: 8
marmaladecat1 is just really nicemarmaladecat1 is just really nicemarmaladecat1 is just really nicemarmaladecat1 is just really nicemarmaladecat1 is just really nicemarmaladecat1 is just really nicemarmaladecat1 is just really nicemarmaladecat1 is just really nice
Default Re: Renouncing British citizenship

I too tried to join the military in the US (to mitigate student loan debt). I was also told that I needed to renounce my cherished UK citizenship. I read about it and learnt that I can do this once and then regain it. I did so.

However, my wife became pregnant and I lost interest in the military route. I regained my citizenship without any problems. After the ceremony I was asked if I had any questions. I asked how I could ensure my daughter could gain British citizenship. The lady quickly told me that my future children - as I had renounced my citizenship - could NOT be British citizens. I was heartbroken.

Sadly, despite having explained my story prior to the ceremony this was not mentioned... until it was too late.
marmaladecat1 is offline  
Old Mar 19th 2011, 5:15 am
  #12  
JAJ
Retired
 
JAJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 34,649
JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renouncing British citizenship

Originally Posted by marmaladecat1 View Post
However, my wife became pregnant and I lost interest in the military route. I regained my citizenship without any problems. After the ceremony I was asked if I had any questions. I asked how I could ensure my daughter could gain British citizenship. The lady quickly told me that my future children - as I had renounced my citizenship - could NOT be British citizens. I was heartbroken.
All is not lost ... you can apply to the Home Office (via the Embassy) for your daughter to be registered as a British citizen. As long as she is under 18. And also assumes you were born in Britain.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...nupandresumed/

By the way, you weren't entitled to get your British citizenship back, as you didn't renounce it to obtain or retain another citizenship. You got it back under discretionary provisions.
JAJ is offline  
Old Mar 19th 2011, 5:20 am
  #13  
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 3
alextemple is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Renouncing British citizenship

Originally Posted by marmaladecat1 View Post
I too tried to join the military in the US (to mitigate student loan debt). I was also told that I needed to renounce my cherished UK citizenship. I read about it and learnt that I can do this once and then regain it. I did so.

However, my wife became pregnant and I lost interest in the military route. I regained my citizenship without any problems. After the ceremony I was asked if I had any questions. I asked how I could ensure my daughter could gain British citizenship. The lady quickly told me that my future children - as I had renounced my citizenship - could NOT be British citizens. I was heartbroken.

Sadly, despite having explained my story prior to the ceremony this was not mentioned... until it was too late.
Wow, you got screwed. I joined the US army to help me pay for college. I was actually a PR at the time and then later (after a year) took citizenship as the fee is waived if you have military service. I just checked goarmy.com and it still does not require you to be a citizen or to renounce citizenship.
alextemple is offline  
Old Mar 19th 2011, 1:21 pm
  #14  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3
tigerbob is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Renouncing British citizenship

Originally Posted by pineapple2oo9 View Post
I'm a naturalized American citizen trying to apply for security clearance in the US. I was told by my SGT that the naturalization process does not automatically renounce British citizenship and my security clearance is being blocked because I have it. (I am taking what she says with a pinch of salt as she is not 100%). I would hate to have to renounce my citizenship but it is imperative for my career that I obtain a clearance.

Anyway, is there anyone out there that can verify it's true? I also tried calling my nearest consulate (Atlanta ph:404 954 7700) and no matter what option I press it ends up in an annoying automated message and never allows you to speak to somebody. Does anyone have an alternative number?
I'd just go down there if it didn't mean a 7 hour round trip and a day booked off work ;/

Thanks in advance
Try calling the USCIS. They should certainly know what the deal is on this, and when I've called them I've always managed to get human rather than machine response. 1 800 375 5283.
tigerbob is offline  
Old Mar 19th 2011, 2:38 pm
  #15  
JAJ
Retired
 
JAJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 34,649
JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renouncing British citizenship

Originally Posted by tigerbob View Post
Try calling the USCIS. They should certainly know what the deal is on this, and when I've called them I've always managed to get human rather than machine response. 1 800 375 5283.
They will NOT "know the deal" on this.
JAJ is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.