Renouncing British citizenship

Renouncing British citizenship

Old Oct 31st 2011, 12:21 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Renouncing British citizenship

[QUOTE=Phillygal;9705367]
Originally Posted by nun
Each case is different. However, status ie being a UK citizen is not the major factor, it's the preference for the UK over the US. By holding a UK passport your daughter was showing a preference for the UK. The security folks think of it like this "why does she need a UK passport, she has a US one....getting the UK passport is not necessary so why did she do it?".

She lived a majority of her life in the UK so having a UK passport alleviated all the hassle when they bought the UK visa into effect, travelling on her US passport became harder and harder so we opted to get her a UK one, not knowing at that time that she would chose the US military for a career.
She wrote the letter.

Presumably she still has the Passport anyway, if not just apply for another one.

Cost varies between that of a stamp and a passport application, much better than trying to argue with idiots and not winning.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 3:00 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phillygal

She lived a majority of her life in the UK so having a UK passport alleviated all the hassle when they bought the UK visa into effect, travelling on her US passport became harder and harder so we opted to get her a UK one, not knowing at that time that she would chose the US military for a career.
Yes what seem like innocent enough choices can have consequences later on. My US career path took me in a direction where to further advance I had to get a security clearance. But I didn't want to give up my UK passport so I chose to change careers.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 3:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

lolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond repute

My Son wa born in the UK had both UK/US passports
Joined the Army as an Officer has a top secret clearance - he was asked if he had a passport from any other country said no and that was the end of it.
They were more interested in the fact that I was not a citizen - but he still got his clearance in 6 months.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 3:41 pm
Account Closed

Presumably he did not have one when asked?

Or he did not have it on him?
Old Nov 1st 2011, 4:06 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Presumably he did not have one when asked?

Or he did not have it on him?
I assume he didn't have a UK passport as lying in the process of obtaining a clearance is a serious federal crime, it says so on the forms. If he did have a UK passport it would be a good idea to "loose it" and he should definitely NEVER use it or apply for a new one. Also maybe this post should not be replied to by anyone who knows the soldier with the clearance as it's never good to put stuff in writing, you don't know who may be reading it!
Old Nov 1st 2011, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

lolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond repute

His UK passport had just expired.
But at anytime he can apply for another one.
But my point is that not at any time was he asked to sign anything saying he would give up his UK citizenship.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 9:10 pm
Account Closed

Remember the old adage when it comes to Immigration issues.

Do you know the time is a yes or no question.

Stupid questions only need to be answered as asked, no need to go any further.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 10:01 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lolly
But at anytime he can apply for another one.
But my point is that not at any time was he asked to sign anything saying he would give up his UK citizenship.
If he wants to keep the US clearance he cannot get a UK passport. At any reviews he must not show a preference for the UK so he must be able to answer truthfully that he doesn't have a UK passport.

Having UK citizenship is not an issue when it comes getting a US clearance. The issue is showing a preference for the UK over the US. If the clearance lapses and he then gets a UK passport that would look very bad if he ever wanted to reactivate it.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 10:20 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lolly
Unless the officer asked if he had an unexpired passport from any other country... then your son lied, and when he gets caught he'll be in deep shit. The two questions aren't the same... and an expired passport is still valid proof of citizenship.

Ian
Old Nov 1st 2011, 10:50 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Unless the officer asked if he had an unexpired passport from any other country... then your son lied, and when he gets caught he'll be in deep shit. The two questions aren't the same... and an expired passport is still valid proof of citizenship.

Ian
You are missing the point slightly. The security officer obviously knew about the applicants citizenship and that of his mother. If he had a UK passport he would have been asked to hand it in to a UK consulate or give it to the security officer so be couldn't use it. As bs didnd have a valid UK passport the applicant answered appropriately.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 12:41 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
You are missing the point slightly. The security officer obviously knew about the applicants citizenship and that of his mother. If he had a UK passport he would have been asked to hand it in to a UK consulate or give it to the security officer so be couldn't use it. As bs didnd have a valid UK passport the applicant answered appropriately.
I based my response on what was written... not on what might be conjectured. Mom wrote "he was asked if he had a passport from any other country said no". Since he had a passport, expired or not, he lied. Now, that might not have been what mom meant to write, but neither of us are mind readers.

At any rate, I don't care enough about it to bother.

Ian
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 3:27 am
Forum Regular

HDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever we have to do to keep the Redcoats from infiltrating our nation's security apparatus.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nun
Thank you
Old Aug 25th 2012, 1:00 am
Just Joined

kayinaz is an unknown quantity at this point

pineapple2009 - did you renounce your British citizenship and how long did it take to get the confirmation back once you had submitted the paperwork? I really need to know for my son who is also going through this.
Old Aug 25th 2012, 1:52 am
Just Joined

marmaladecat1 is just really nicemarmaladecat1 is just really nicemarmaladecat1 is just really nicemarmaladecat1 is just really nicemarmaladecat1 is just really nicemarmaladecat1 is just really nicemarmaladecat1 is just really nicemarmaladecat1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by kayinaz
pineapple2009 - did you renounce your British citizenship and how long did it take to get the confirmation back once you had submitted the paperwork? I really need to know for my son who is also going through this.
It was a quick process, less than a month or so.

I renounced so that I could join the US military in order to lessen the burden of dental school debt, and planned on regaining citizenship after my US military stint was over. I was clear about this when contacting the British embassy. They assured me I could regain full status as a citizen one time. Perfect, right?

No. I still regret it. I did re-gain UK citizenship. After the oath ceremony I asked how I can ensure my unborn daughter to be will also be able to become a citizen of the UK. I was immediately told that while I was just assured that I have regained my "previous citizenship status", I now can not pass on my citizenship to any children. i.e. I do not have the same status.

I don't feel this was made clear to me given that I stated that I will only cease to be British for a short while.

They did assure me however, that my children will be allowed to live and work in the UK as long as I am also in the UK. Considering what had happened until then I am not convinced that even that is true.

So, my advice is obvious: don't renounce unless you really have to. UK citizenship is too precious a thing to place in jeopardy.

Short question, long answer. I hope this helps.

P.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.