Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Registration of a small business

Registration of a small business

Old Jul 24th 2011, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute
Default Registration of a small business

Hello,

I am a little lost to the extent that I don't know what I need to have in order to be compliant.

Here is my situation
-I am on E-3 visa and wife is on E3D
-Wife does some online sales (ebay) of jewelery and handicrafts
-Later this month she plans to be a vendor at some local fairs

The confusion is around what do we need to be compliant to the various laws. Resale number? Register for a Permit or License?

Thank you in advance for your input. Just FYI - our current sales range from 600-800 a month. We will be talking to an accounting around taxation etc little later in the year.

Thank you.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 6:14 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Registration of a small business

Has your wife got her Employment Authorization Document? Is self-employment allowed on this status?

Other than that, the answer is going to depend on your state/county/city.

Also, any profits need to be included on your tax return.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 6:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, if she's allowed to work on that visa, it'll all depend on where abouts you live.

Some fairs probably don't even need you to be a registered business, you just pay for your spot and do your thing, but many of the bigger county fairs will need to see you're registered if for nothing else, for the liability insurance situations.

Edit: check out local chamber of commerce office, they should be able to help you out with anything you'd need to do and probably with local fairs to go to etc.

Last edited by Bob; Jul 24th 2011 at 6:32 pm.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

She had EAD. I thought she can work for anyone including herself ???

The one fair we want to go to is in Cupertino,CA. I checked their (Cupertino chamber of commerce website) they ask for "resale no". I am doing bit more research and I think we need a sellers permit OR a resale #. We don't live in Cupertino. We are in walnut creek. Not sure if that's makes a difference.

Thanks
Old Jul 24th 2011, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E3only
We don't live in Cupertino. We are in walnut creek. Not sure if that's makes a difference.
You probably need a seller's permit ...

Last edited by md95065; Jul 24th 2011 at 11:12 pm.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by md95065
You probably need a seller's permit ...
Thanks. We have done further research. Apparently sellers permit and resale number are one and the same.

We live in Contra Costa so I assume we just have to get a sellers permit here which will be valid for sales wherever wr sell right?
Old Jul 25th 2011, 2:16 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E3only
Thanks. We have done further research. Apparently sellers permit and resale number are one and the same.

We live in Contra Costa so I assume we just have to get a sellers permit here which will be valid for sales wherever wr sell right?
Since the seller's permit is issued by the state I assume that it is good anywhere in California.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 3:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by md95065
Since the seller's permit is issued by the state I assume that it is good anywhere in California.
Thanks, we are calling Contra Costa commerce dept tomorrow.

Cheers,
Old Jul 25th 2011, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Are you registered for sales tax ?, you may find that the organiser of the event is required to submit vendor information to the tax dept.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 3:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ottotheboar
Are you registered for sales tax ?, you may find that the organiser of the event is required to submit vendor information to the tax dept.
That is what the sellers permit is for.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ottotheboar
We have not done anything except for my wife setting up some business plan and getting some products from overeas as samples.

The moment we started thinking about going to fairs etc, we were faced by lots of 'we want this' 'we want that'....so it's now time for us to think and get more information so that we do the right thing.

The idea was to just sell stuff on ebay and declare the profits as income. But we are reading into it more.

I had a question. Usually sales tax and other stuff, they ahve certain limits within which one does not necessarily have to do all these time consuming applications. I respect if I had to do them but for a $500 sale at best a month, it seems to me that there is just too much involved...again of course I want to do the right thing.