British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Registration of a small business (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/registration-small-business-726151/)

E3only Jul 24th 2011 5:46 pm

Registration of a small business

Hello,

I am a little lost to the extent that I don't know what I need to have in order to be compliant.

Here is my situation
-I am on E-3 visa and wife is on E3D
-Wife does some online sales (ebay) of jewelery and handicrafts
-Later this month she plans to be a vendor at some local fairs

The confusion is around what do we need to be compliant to the various laws. Resale number? Register for a Permit or License?

Thank you in advance for your input. Just FYI - our current sales range from 600-800 a month. We will be talking to an accounting around taxation etc little later in the year.

Thank you.

JAJ Jul 24th 2011 6:14 pm

Re: Registration of a small business

Has your wife got her Employment Authorization Document? Is self-employment allowed on this status?

Other than that, the answer is going to depend on your state/county/city.

Also, any profits need to be included on your tax return.

Bob Jul 24th 2011 6:28 pm

Yeah, if she's allowed to work on that visa, it'll all depend on where abouts you live.

Some fairs probably don't even need you to be a registered business, you just pay for your spot and do your thing, but many of the bigger county fairs will need to see you're registered if for nothing else, for the liability insurance situations.

Edit: check out local chamber of commerce office, they should be able to help you out with anything you'd need to do and probably with local fairs to go to etc.

E3only Jul 24th 2011 10:16 pm

She had EAD. I thought she can work for anyone including herself ???

The one fair we want to go to is in Cupertino,CA. I checked their (Cupertino chamber of commerce website) they ask for "resale no". I am doing bit more research and I think we need a sellers permit OR a resale #. We don't live in Cupertino. We are in walnut creek. Not sure if that's makes a difference.

Thanks

md95065 Jul 24th 2011 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by E3only (Post 9516453)
We don't live in Cupertino. We are in walnut creek. Not sure if that's makes a difference.

You probably need a seller's permit ...

E3only Jul 25th 2011 12:39 am

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 9516520)
You probably need a seller's permit ...

Thanks. We have done further research. Apparently sellers permit and resale number are one and the same.

We live in Contra Costa so I assume we just have to get a sellers permit here which will be valid for sales wherever wr sell right?

md95065 Jul 25th 2011 2:16 am

Originally Posted by E3only (Post 9516608)
Thanks. We have done further research. Apparently sellers permit and resale number are one and the same.

We live in Contra Costa so I assume we just have to get a sellers permit here which will be valid for sales wherever wr sell right?

Since the seller's permit is issued by the state I assume that it is good anywhere in California.

E3only Jul 25th 2011 3:45 am

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 9516697)
Since the seller's permit is issued by the state I assume that it is good anywhere in California.

Thanks, we are calling Contra Costa commerce dept tomorrow.

Cheers,

ottotheboar Jul 25th 2011 11:10 am

Are you registered for sales tax ?, you may find that the organiser of the event is required to submit vendor information to the tax dept.

Michael Jul 25th 2011 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by ottotheboar (Post 9517405)
Are you registered for sales tax ?, you may find that the organiser of the event is required to submit vendor information to the tax dept.

That is what the sellers permit is for.

E3only Jul 25th 2011 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by ottotheboar (Post 9517405)

We have not done anything except for my wife setting up some business plan and getting some products from overeas as samples.

The moment we started thinking about going to fairs etc, we were faced by lots of 'we want this' 'we want that'....so it's now time for us to think and get more information so that we do the right thing.

The idea was to just sell stuff on ebay and declare the profits as income. But we are reading into it more.

I had a question. Usually sales tax and other stuff, they ahve certain limits within which one does not necessarily have to do all these time consuming applications. I respect if I had to do them but for a $500 sale at best a month, it seems to me that there is just too much involved...again of course I want to do the right thing.